• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Dress Regs šŸ¤£

I'm happy to pay to have my uniforms tailored out of pocket because QR&O 17.02 tells me the dress and appearance of officers and non-commissioned members shall on all occasions be such as to reflect credit on the Service.

Not "on all occasions providing the Crown pays for it".

I'll counter your QR & O with the applic parts of the SAM if you don't mind...;) (the numbering of para's is a little weird/off)

Supply Administration Manual, 9.3 Clothing and Personal Equipment

1.3 - DND clothing and personal equipment is maintained at public expense and is accounted for on the memberā€™s Individual Account (IA). The issue, return, repair, replacement of individual items (exchanges) and disposal are subject to specific directives. This chapter describes instructions and processes in these matters.

Allotment of Clothing and Personal Equipment

2.5 Allotment issued to CAF members shall be recorded on their personal record individual account (IA). Individuals are responsible for the safeguard and care of DND clothing and equipment provided to them as they are custodian. All entitled clothing accoutrements held in the Materiel Management System of Record shall be issued and replaced at no cost to CAF personnel (EXCEPT for honorary colonel which canā€™t be registered in Human Resources Management System (Guardian) or loss of the item due to negligence).

Sustainment of Clothing and Personal Equipment

2.9 CAF clothing shall not be altered or modified without authorization. Repairs are made at public expense. Repairs are limited to that of rendering the item serviceable to fulfill its designed function and do not involve extensive uneconomical repair or alterations.

DEU Tailoring and Alteration

2.54 Alterations to new DEU clothing shall be completed at public expense for all ranks on initial issue and for replacement of authorized DEU items of clothing. Shirts cannot be altered at public expense. Exceptions can be authorized by the Sup O/Log O or clothing supervisor, including alterations to CAF shirts. If an individual requires alterations beyond what is listed in this chapter, they must provide substantiation in writing (email) to the Sup O/Log O or clothing stores supervisor. Alterations to CAF shirts, although not restricted to this group, would normally be allowed for CAF personnel holding senior appointments.

2.55 Major alterations are not authorized to DEU garments. A comprehension range of standard DEU sizes are available from the contractor, made to measure ranges as described in ā€œSpecial sizeā€™ā€™ and are also available online. Minor alterations described in this chapter should allow for a proper fit. If a proper fit is not possible, a made to measure garment shall be ordered.
2.56 For all personnel, only minor alterations are authorized at public expense. Authorized minor alterations to DEU are as follows:

a. DEU tunics:
i. taking in and letting out the side seams;
ii. removal of the excess material just below the back of the collar, often referred to as
"raising the backā€;
iii. deepening of the armhole;
iv. taking in and letting out the centre back; and
v. raising or lowering the sleeve length.

b. DEU trousers/slacks:
i. raising or lowering the pant length;
ii. increasing or decreasing the trouser waist; and
iii. letting out the thigh.

c. DEU skirts:
i. raising or lowering the skirt length;
ii. taking in and letting out side seams; and
iii. increasing or decreasing the waist.

So youā€™re not even allowed to get it tailored on your own dime without authorization?
According to the regulations you are not however smart people know what regulations to obey.

Oh and BTW this includes the lining of your beret for those that wear it.

So youā€™re not even allowed to get it tailored on your own dime without authorization?

Well. If you do and it doesnā€™t work out you better have some points left Iā€™d sayā€¦or your next order becomes a sale order.

I think the point people should take out of that part of the SAM is that us proletarians canā€™t get our shirts tailored at public expense but Snr Appointments can. ā€œShirts cannot be tailored at public expense except for when they can beā€. The ever-popular double-standard standard.šŸ˜

I think the point people should take out of that part of the SAM is that us proletarians canā€™t get our shirts tailored at public expense but Snr Appointments can. ā€œShirts cannot be tailored at public expense except for when they can beā€. The ever-popular double-standard standard.šŸ˜
But when the double standard goes the other way, no issues, right? Like when ACS techs use the shop on weekends.

No, but the issue in the ā€œcurrent cultureā€ is the double-standard usually benefits the more senior of our ranks (NCM and Officer).
From a public appearance point of view, I would argue that it is more important that people in senior appointments look good than it is for Avr/Pte/Sailor Bloggins. People in those senior appointments are fairly often interacting with senior officials and the media, including in front of cameras.

From a public appearance point of view, I would argue that it is more important that people in senior appointments look good than it is for Avr/Pte/Sailor Bloggins. People in those senior appointments are fairly often interacting with senior officials and the media, including in front of cameras.

Very true; so the CAF has decided the value in expenditure of public funds for altering shirts isnā€™t worth it for 98% of the CAF, including me.

Iā€™m quite happy spending $100 on something I need from Bass Pro/Cabelas rather than my SS and LS shirts. šŸ™‚

Fellas, stop. Y'all are grossing me out of ever getting married!

We are over exaggerating. Itā€™s totally not like that at allā€¦

Lying Season 3 GIF by The Office

Back