• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Dress Regs šŸ¤£

Has ā€˜moustache rideā€™ found a way to enter the vernacular for box ticking pin-collection exercises yet, or is that a no-no?

I'm sure it probably is a no-no that comes up every once in a while anyway, but I think it's like the leather flying jacket; some people think it looks awesome the rest of us are laughing at them.

Aside from skipping the regs, and not being based on actual OFP milestones/qualifications, I think they are just poorly designed and ugly, with no sense of style/aesthetics. If they at least looked good I probably wouldn't actually laugh in someone's face about it.

I don't know, only one person that said anything was an officer, the rest were NCOs.

Maybe because I'm an officer they thought I should wear the stupid plastic belt (with the crappy fastener)? šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø It's not like a commision comes with some kind of fire resistant spell (although that would be cool).

I don't like to tell folks what to do without being willing to do it myself, so kept my second layer nearby etc, so this just seemed like a normal extension of that, as I would normally suggest to folks they wear a leather belt vice the DEU one. I've seen the FR testing on our NCDs, and makes a huge difference to have the layers on, so makes zero sense to have a belt on their which would turn into a molten burning mess within the same test, and the post fire burns from people having synthetic tshirts etc melt onto them is pretty grim.

Weird. I first ware the leather firearms belt on VDQ in 2006, I was a LS. And it's been on me in NCDs ever since.

I don't know what to tell ya. ST(A) was wearing the same belt during WUPs on FRE in 2019.

That stupid issued one with the faux brass slide buckle is garbage.

Weird. I first ware the leather firearms belt on VDQ in 2006, I was a LS. And it's been on me in NCDs ever since.

I don't know what to tell ya. ST(A) was wearing the same belt during WUPs on FRE in 2019.

That stupid issued one with the faux brass slide buckle is garbage.
I just bought a black leather one with a normal metal buckle (but actual leather, not pleather) but yeah, no idea either. Some people just get something in their head and don't bother reading the actual regs, but plain leather belts are a-okay with NCDs. I think people are more widely aware of that now, but some people still freak out about officers wearing berets with short sleeves, so no idea what some people will get hung up on.

Maybe has gone too far the other way now, with people ignoring safety violations with beards/goatees with SCBAs, but I don't think anyone has bothered me about the leather belt since about 2015 or something (although it was in the dress manual since before I joined in the early 2000s, so not a new rule).

Some people canā€™t read, they get all their info from the smoke pit.

I 100% ignored and did not enforce that stupidity.
It was at one time a very real thing. A former BCWO in Shilo made it his duty to ā€œcounselā€ soldiers exiting the Canex they were in violation of the dress regs.

If it isnā€™t in the dress regs and signed by the appropriate level of Command, it doesnā€™t exist.

With respect to all CWO/CPOs, almost none of them will ever be in command.

My favorite one was a CPO1 in Victoria who had a hard on against Army folks that was making up his own regs for us...in particular, wearing of CADPAT day packs with NCD's. He said the reg said that the ruck/daysack had to match the uniform...I pointed out to him that the regulation actually stated "NON-ISSUE daypacks/rucksacks must of be of conservative colour..."; he also went off on me for wearing CADPAT rank badges on my combats, which at the time were in fact the legal ones (as opposed to high def ones which hadn't yet come on line). He only did this to Army folks - he seemed to have no issue with fish heads wandering around with pink day sacks in his HQ...which I pointed out rather rudely to both him and the bearer of same.

He didn't like me much.

My first CSM was at Sarajevo Airport in 1992. We got to talking about "stupid stuff in the Army" one day and he told me about what happened when they arrived in Sarajevo as a sort of lesson from when he was a young Private.

He said their Company Commander wasn't the sharpest knife and the only experience anyone in the Company had was some people had in an area of "operations" was a few had done a "peacekeeping" tour in Cyprus (so basically none).

When they arrived in Sarajevo, the OC ordered the Company to form up in a hollow square with all the vehicles parked behind them in parade format. As they had done in Cyprus they placed all their weapons and FFE in the vehicles and then locked them up with padlocks, like they do at the Infantry School.

He laughed about it but he said the Serbs and Bosnians who were fighting on other side of them must have been pondering just who "these idiotic Canadians were?". One of the belligerent parties decided to send the Company a welcome gift and decided to shell their position with mortars. Everyone was sent scrambling and the drivers, who had the keys to the padlocks ended up under random vehicles and nobody was able to get their weapons or FFE šŸ¤£.

He ended the story with a "Don't worry Sir, if you think things are stupid sometimes, trust me, it used to be a lot worse!" šŸ¤£
I was there. The idea was not to let the locals think we were any kind of threat, no aggressive posture. A 30 rd mag, left pocket, with red guntape sealing it up. End of day, unload, count rounds, and sign the verification sheet that you had all 30 rds. We spent the current defense budget on red tape, literally.

My favorite one was a CPO1 in Victoria who had a hard on against Army folks that was making up his own regs for us...in particular, wearing of CADPAT day packs with NCD's. He said the reg said that the ruck/daysack had to match the uniform...I pointed out to him that the regulation actually stated "NON-ISSUE daypacks/rucksacks must of be of conservative colour..."; he also went off on me for wearing CADPAT rank badges on my combats, which at the time were in fact the legal ones (as opposed to high def ones which hadn't yet come on line). He only did this to Army folks - he seemed to have no issue with fish heads wandering around with pink day sacks in his HQ...which I pointed out rather rudely to both him and the bearer of same.

He didn't like me much.

Same thing happened in Halifax.

I just bought a black leather one with a normal metal buckle (but actual leather, not pleather) but yeah, no idea either. Some people just get something in their head and don't bother reading the actual regs, but plain leather belts are a-okay with NCDs. I think people are more widely aware of that now, but some people still freak out about officers wearing berets with short sleeves, so no idea what some people will get hung up on.

Maybe has gone too far the other way now, with people ignoring safety violations with beards/goatees with SCBAs, but I don't think anyone has bothered me about the leather belt since about 2015 or something (although it was in the dress manual since before I joined in the early 2000s, so not a new rule).

My belt is actually more brown now as it's OAF and has some salt on it.

I don't know any about leather... Can I re stain it you think ?

Probably, but I think that just adds character! I'd just go with it, and then you can bust out the occasional 'my belt has more sea time then you' line as necessary for the new officer/NCM giving you grief on something!

Forgive my ignorance, been out of loop for awhile, but what is a "mustache pin" ?
NWO Vanity Badge. Itā€™s supposed to be the view of a warship with the bone in its teeth as it sails at high speed. But it looks like a 18th Century Hussarā€™s Moustache.

Leather dye. Comes in all sorts of colours if you want to be creative (or piss somebody off I suppose):

814ccb2a-35f3-4a22-ba22-6cdc1bca2a3d_1.20ba32faf45a65f1611d4ca496d69d8c.jpeg

One Rememberance Day when I had my tunic off, a Corporal more senior than me pulled off my tie clasp and said "not in uniform," even though it is allowed in the dress regs.

Back when I was a Cpl, if another Cpl grabbed anything of mine they would have gotten a smash. šŸ™‚

Iā€™m one of those ā€œold fashionedā€ types that believes a punch in the face can be an appropriate response to stupidiots when they do stuff like that.

Forgive my ignorance, been out of loop for awhile, but what is a "mustache pin" ?
Here's a link to an article with photos; looks like it was done by someone who never saw a ship outside a bathtub toy, is only aware of waves as a concept, and missed the art lessons on perspective.

To get it someone has to get their BWK (ie not the OFP milestone for the board), be posted as an XO, and be posted as a CO. Could be on an MCDV etc, so pretty random. In theory someone who couldn't pass the (NOPQ?) board and never hit OFP could get a bronze one, and someone relieved of duty for whatever reason would still be entitled to wear one. Or maybe not, because it's not in the dress manual or anything else official, so the RCN can make it up as they go.

Overall it's a puzzling mess of a solution to a question almost no one was asking, but we got anyway because it was the pet project of a bored GOFO. I think the resources spent on this would have been better used doing literally nothing.

New Royal Canadian Navy pin marks steps toward command - Pacific Navy News

That would be the current CRCN's predecessor. He forced it through before his retirement.
Nice legacy to be a flair wanker. (and was he the predecessor or two removed? Hard to keep track with the GOFO musical chairs in the me too era).

Mistakes

Back