• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New GG Announced

Commissioner investigating after complaints pour in about next governor general's lack of French​

Just can't make everyone happy.

Sad Owl GIF by Loto-Québec

In context: four hundred complaints from across Canada is like having all the fans in attendance at four Raptors games gathered together, and one of them has a complaint.

In context: four hundred complaints from across Canada is like having all the fans in attendance at four Raptors games gathered together, and one of them has a complaint.
Too bad in the Federal government we treat 1 Official Languages complaint like 50,000 people have the same issue.

but she is bilingual in a way that no other GG has ever been. I can't recall any screaming match from north of 60 when any of her predecessors was appointed and didn't speak a single word of any indigenous language and none of them ever suggested that they would start learning one either. She has committed to french lessons: what more could you want

but she is bilingual in a way that no other GG has ever been. I can't recall any screaming match from north of 60 when any of her predecessors was appointed and didn't speak a single word of any indigenous language and none of them ever suggested that they would start learning one either. She has committed to french lessons: what more could you want

Your 7Up on Air Canada in French?

The Prime Minister, demonstrating how good he is at picking Governors General ;)

Fail College Football GIF by Clemson Tigers

Commissioner investigating after complaints pour in about next governor general's lack of French​

Just can't make everyone happy.
The PM has stated that the GG appointee is, in fact, bilingual as she speaks English and her native indigenous language. Unless the job description explicitly stated that French and English language skills are required, she's in the clear and the PM is technically correct.

I’m francophone and this is just stupid. She’s more than qualified and I think it’s great that she can speak a native language. Most of the complainants wouldn’t even care to hear what a GG has to say anyways. This is complaining to complain.

I’m francophone and this is just stupid. She’s more than qualified and I think it’s great that she can speak a native language. Most of the complainants wouldn’t even care to hear what a GG has to say anyways. This is complaining to complain.
Indeed. But a certain amount of that was inevitable.

A meaningful gesture of reconciliation towards our indigenous is, at this point, quite frankly much more important than placating Quebec. I bet she picks up French reasonably quickly and ends up speaking it well.

This is rubbish and shows that the Commissioner is an incompetent bungler who needs to be fired for cause ... or, more likely, that he is a cheap political hack who is using his office for partisan purposes.

The GG is appointed by the Queen's Prerogative ~ Introduction and The Law of the Crown Prerogative - Canada.ca ~ that power is NOT justiciable, and I am 99% certain that any and every honest, competent judge will rule that way.

I suspect that Commissioner Raymond Théberge is launching his "investigation" at the behest of Justin Trudeau and the Liberal Party in an effort to appease Québec in the forthcoming election.

Commissioner Théberge, like Prime Minister Trudeau, is a disgrace to Canada, and both need to be tossed on to the political dung cheap where they belong.

I think this is my favourite outake from one of the CBC stories;

"Quebec political journalist Michel C. Auger recalled in a Facebook post how then-premier René Lévesque, during a first ministers' conference following the repatriation of the Constitution, ceded Quebec's time to leaders from different Indigenous communities. Mary Simon was one of them."Mary Simon is a great Quebecer, who was made an Officer of l'Ordre national du Québec, the highest distinction awarded by the Quebec government," Auger said. "If she was good enough for René Lévesque to speak in Quebec's name, she is certainly good enough for me — and for many others.""
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/mary-simon-governor-general-french-1.6101190

I think they also overestimate how many people would care if the GG spoke French and Inuktitut and needed English lessons.

This is rubbish and shows that the Commissioner is an incompetent bungler who needs to be fired for cause ... or, more likely, that he is a cheap political hack who is using his office for partisan purposes.

The GG is appointed by the Queen's Prerogative ~ Introduction and The Law of the Crown Prerogative - Canada.ca ~ that power is NOT justiciable, and I am 99% certain that any and every honest, competent judge will rule that way.

I suspect that Commissioner Raymond Théberge is launching his "investigation" at the behest of Justin Trudeau and the Liberal Party in an effort to appease Québec in the forthcoming election.

Commissioner Théberge, like Prime Minister Trudeau, is a disgrace to Canada, and both need to be tossed on to the political dung cheap where they belong.
Lol. That is a huge stretch. He named her in the first place. What sort of partisan hackery would it be exactly as they will be investigating the process Trudeau did to name her?

That is not how investigations like that work. Commissioner led investigations can happen but this is based on a number of complaints (430)that came in and he bound by his mandate to investigate. So he is doing exactly what he supposed to do, especially when a high profile office is involved.

Trust me when I say that plenty of people make it a personal hobby to launch all sorts of complaints about everything all the time.

I think its stupid personally but I don't think this is Trudeau working from the shadows to placate QC. He's getting a worse balance of flak from them for even naming her.

The complaints are outside his mandate. The Queen's prerogative is not subject to the OL Act. And any recommendations made by PCO to the PM would constitute advice to the Minister and are thus confidences that would not be disclosed to an investigator.

He's either wildly ignorant about Canadian constitutional law, or a performative buffoon seeking attention.

Back