• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Governor General Service Medal?

Should the Governor General issue a Volunteer Service Medal for General Service?

• Yes

Votes: 39 40.2%
  • No, too expensive

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • Just for trades that dont see theatre action

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • No

Votes: 35 36.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Old Sweat said:
I think Bob Gaudreau was Commander 4 CMBG at the time of the Gulf War.

Bob Meating was at Div Fwd at that time, if I remember correctly.

PIC said:
In the Nepean Weekender 13 April 2007, a Mr David W Palmer..... 
Just when you think a thread has finally died a peaceful death......

The old poll suggests that overall 41.8% a for such an award, and 58.1% do not approve. The time period which some have suggested of 365 days service IMHO, is just not on.

The ADM we have here, a similar award, has been recieved well, and works and had originally a 6 yr period, and that was changed to a 4 yr period.

I guess the cultures of our Defence Forces are widening in some ways.

Welcome to the site BTW.

OWDU.

I've gone through these pages and read the opinions, but one thing I haven't really seen from the "yes" crowd is the answer to the "why" part in terms of if you give it to everyone, is it really special and why would you give it out then?

As OWDU just pointed out, even a time-based one (4-6 years) isn't really any different than a mini-CD, but if it's one year since pretty much everyone serves over one year (Reservists who quit right away or Reg Force trg failures recommended for release being the only exceptions) 99.9% of people would get it. 

I am all for awarding things when deserved in order to show recognition, but if everyone in the CF gets it, it's not really in the spirit of awarding something and it wouldn't mean any more than a pair of socks since everyone was issued one.

Even the"freebies" as the Jubilee ones are often called may not be standardized across the CF, at least at some level someone thought the receiver of it was doing a good job at something.

Forgive my ignorance, but what does a ret'd general signing an online petition prove?

The key bit being 'ONLINE'.

Petamocto said:
As OWDU just pointed out, even a time-based one (4-6 years) isn't really any different than a mini-CD, but if it's one year since pretty much everyone serves over one year (Reservists who quit right away or Reg Force trg failures recommended for release being the only exceptions) 99.9% of people would get it. 

The amount of time to enroll, then turn around an immediately Release a person, both Reg and Res, can take over a year.  In the meantime, someone who has 'suddenly' realized that the CF is not their cup of tea, has all of a sudden found that they are eligible for a military award.  Sounds absolutely bizarre to me that some think that they are so deserving.  If the military is not for them, then surely the military award should not be as well.

George,

Exactly, a "1 year award" is disastrous for those reasons since it is almost impossible not to serve 1 year regardless of performance.  But then if you make it any other time frame it's just like a mini CD anyway.

I don't know what other paths you could take though if the GG insisted on something new.  A 2002-2011 Response to 9/11 medal?  A 2006-2011 Combat Action Badge Medal?  The volunteer one is a non-starter since last time I checked we haven't had conscription for a while.

Take into consideration those soldiers injured or who have died in training. Paving the way for new and/or improved equipment, changes made to SOPs/orders and regulations, and the such. Are they simply forgotten? And those who provide ongoing logistical support, air, sea, and land, to the troops in the field engaged in battle or peacekeeping operations. Are they also forgotten? And what of those soldiers suffering from the unabridged use of various chemical substances used throughout Canada. They too?
Furthermore,
"Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men".
To finish up here, I'd like to add that I see an awful lot of whining and complaining on the sites about the recent Bill C201 which was not voted in. Ammunition comes in many various forms, and if used correctly will obtain a desired result.
And this petition, whereas supported by high brass, is such, and staring in your face. So I urge you to reconsider your position. Thank you.

PIC said:
Take into consideration those soldiers injured or who have died in training. Paving the way for new and/or improved equipment, changes made to SOPs/orders and regulations, and the such. Are they simply forgotten? And those who provide ongoing logistical support, air, sea, and land, to the troops in the field engaged in battle or peacekeeping operations. Are they also forgotten? And what of those soldiers suffering from the unabridged use of various chemical substances used throughout Canada. They too?
Furthermore,
"Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men".
To finish up here, I'd like to add that I see an awful lot of whining and complaining on the sites about the recent Bill C201 which was not voted in. Ammunition comes in many various forms, and if used correctly will obtain a desired result.
And this petition, whereas supported by high brass, is such, and staring in your face. So I urge you to reconsider your position. Thank you.

I have absolutely no idea what the first half of your post is all about.  I hope your aren't at Happy Hour trying to post a sensible reasoned thought, because it didn't come across as that.

As for "high brass" supporting this; who fricking cares?  It is a petition by people whom many of us consider undeserving of a military award for not having the "Balls" to commit to a term of service that would have given them such an award anyway. 

If you really want, I'll go down to the Ganong Chocolate Factory in St Andrews, NB, and have them mint you some medals wrapped in gold foil that if you are hungry, you can gnaw on.    ::)

George Wallace said:
If you really want, I'll go down to the Ganong Chocolate Factory in St Andrews, NB, and have them mint you some medals wrapped in gold foil that if you are hungry, you can gnaw on.    ::)

Well if they are going to be made of chocolate then maybe I might change my mind....... :king:

PIC,

I'll be a tad more forgiving than George but I agree I'm not really sure where you're coming from.

Are you referring to the post above if a hypothetical 1 year of voluntary service? 

I'm not sure what you mean by forgotten, either, as anyone injured is still going to be in the CF longer than a year if they're at all fixable.  The cases where someone may be so seriously injured in their first year as to require an immediate release would make up such a small percentage that it would be borderline statistically irrelevant.  And people who die while in CF service regardless of the cause are now posthumously awarded a Sacrifice Medal.

As for the logistical support trades, all medals are created equal in terms of criteria.  It doesn't matter if you're an infantryman or an air force clerk; if you're serving in the same theatre you'll generally get the same medal.

You lost me completely with the "various chemical substances".  Did you read an article about Agent Orange today?

The more I read, the more I agree with George, actually.  Your post is right-out-of-er, which from me is saying a lot.

PIC said:

Errm, some dude with a big pension counts as 'high brass'? Ok, I'll humour you. Position reconsidering happening............position NO CHANGE. It's a crap medal. Please stop trying to make yourselves feel better on rememberance day.

The internet is not the place to infer rank pulling, or to try and cow people by name dropping dudes I've never heard of.

To echo George Wallace, but in plainer vernacular - BORE OFF.

We have an all volunteer military.  We award people who have shown the dedication and commitment to the CF with an award, the CD, after twelve, twenty-two, thirty-two and fourty-two years of service.  We now have the Sacrifice Medal.  We also have the silver Memorial Cross for widows, mothers and any other family member that the member so elects.  The last two have come into existence in the last decade.  How many more awards do we need to create? 

This is beginning to make the current system of Honours and Awards look like it is becoming a "Welfare handout" to any and all who want just that--a free handout.

And don't forget about all those men and women devoured by the forces reduction program.
Of which, some of you may have gotten the axe.
They served and would have continued.
So , suck back and reload!!!!
What harm could it do, to sign a petition which is probably not recognized anyway.
As for the total mumble jumble of the thread.......it is caused by those who have nothing good to say about squat. Unless of course it pertains to their own fattened belly.
Have a nice weekend, just the same.

PIC,

I see by your profile info that you have some respectable service, so I am more than willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Can you please maybe just clarify specifically what it is that is bothering you?

To all, just let this go. It's fairly obvious "pic" just wants a reaction so do the worst thing possible,.....nothing.
Thanks,
Bruce

I thought it was a good idea to post this info, seeing the huge number of members stretching accross this great land we all call home.
I am sure there are some of which who feel differently with respect to this subject.
Thank you

For the ability of all members to more easily access the info pertaining to this petition I have entered it as a naw post:petition for a Volunteer Service Medal for our Veterans (GGVSM) 5061 Signatures 

Published by Dave Palmer on Aug 07, 2009
Category: Heritage and RemembranceRegion: CanadaTarget: Any and all Canadian Citizens that can sign their nameWeb site: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/volunteer-serv...
Background (Preamble):
Since 2 March 1947, our Veterans have not been issued a Volunteer Service Medal as was the Canadian tradition to do so up until 1 March 1947.

The proposed Governor General's Volunteer Service Medal (GGVSM) is to recognize the conviction of our Veterans to have volunteered to serve our Nation. Many Veterans who have voluntarily served in our country's forces and for reasons did not serve for an extended period (more than 12 years) and they left the services. These Veterans never received a single "Canadian" medal or any recognition for their service.

The GGVSM would re-introduce a proud aspect of Canadian Heritage and remembrance of our Veterans. The GGVSM would also be highly supportive of Veterans Affairs "Canada Remembers program". Let us remember all of our Veterans and give them at least one medal to wear to give them the dignity and honour they deserve for volunteering to serve and the GGVSM would be a truly outstanding Canadian Medal to do this.

Petition:
To The Government of Canada

Whereas:

1. During a specified period of Service to their Country, Canadians, from 3 September 1939, to 1 March 1947, received the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal, and

2. During a specified period of Service to their Country, Canadians, from 27 June 1950, to 27 July 1953, received the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal for Korea;

We, the undersigned residents of Canada, respectfully call upon the Government of Canada, to recognize by means of the issuance of a new Canadian Volunteer Service Medal, to be designated “The Governor General’s Volunteer Service Medal”, for volunteer service by Canadians in the Regular and Reserve Military Forces and Cadet Corps Support Staff who were not eligible for the aforementioned medals and who have completed 365 days of uninterrupted honourable duty in the service of their country Canada, since 2 March 1947.

------------------------------------------------------

Au gouvernement du Canada

1. Ayant servi volontairement leur pays, de n’importe quel grade de la Marine, de l’Armée ou des Forces aériennes, du 3 septembre 1939 au 1e mars 1947, des Canadiens ont reçu la MÉDAILLE CANADIENNE DU VOLONTAIRE.

2. Ayant servi volontairement leur pays, de n’importe quel grade de la Marine, de l’Armée ou des Forces aériennes pour une période de temps déterminée, du 27 juin 1950 au 27 juillet 1953, des Canadiens ont reçu la MÉDAILLE DU VOLONTAIRE POUR SERVICE EN CORÉE.

Nous, résidents soussignés du Canada, demandons respectueusement au Gouvernement du Canada, de reconnaître le service volontaire des Canadiens qui ont servi dans l’armée régulière, l’armée des réservistes ou le personnel de soutien des corps cadets en émettant une nouvelle médaille canadienne du volontaire appelée MÉDAILLE de la GOUVERNEURE GÉNÉRALE POUR SERVICE VOLONTAIRE.

Les récipiendaires seraient ceux qui ont complété honorablement 365 jours ininterrompus de service pour le Canada depuis le 2 mars 1947 et qui ne sont pas admissibles à recevoir la MÉDAILLE CANADIENNE DU VOLONTAIRE.

We have created a legacy of forgotten Veterans and we are losing a tremendous amount of our History, our Heritage and the Legacy of thousands of undecorated Veterans that "voluntarily" served our nation with courage and conviction during the last century and we can't dignify them with the long overdue recognition that is befitting of these our forgotten Veterans. This is not the Canada I know!

Thousands of Canadians, many of them, the undecorated Veterans of yesteryear are continuously showing their support for a proposed volunteer service medal, the "Governor General's Volunteer Service Medal" (GGVSM) and it is a shame as our undecorated Veterans are just being shoved-off into an abyss of forgetfulness and this will be one of the most embarrassing and shameful portions of Canadian History, the" Era of the Forgotten Veterans". Is this to be our Legacy, how we just forgot the service of so many young Canadians that volunteered to serve their nation?

Can we not do something for these Veterans, something to give them so that their ancestors will have known that their ancestors of yesteryear, yester-decade and yester-century served with honour in our nation's military forces?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back