• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Guns for Border guards?

Cayuga

Inactive
Reaction score
Anybody heard what type of Guns the border guards are getting?  :threat:?

I know I like the Sig Sauer that we use in the navy.

The one's that stop arsholes from running the border.    ;)

Does it really matter?

Regards

It doesn't really matter...

But I was curious and thought 'I know who likes guns and rumors...'  :D

They just started their training. Let's wait and see. There's a couple here doing it. I f they want you to know, they'll tell you. Mind, we're buying them, we have a right to know. I don't personally consider it a biggy though. They finally have the means to do their job, no matter what they're issued.

CBC said it will take until 2008 to arm them all, and that there are some other changes that are just as pressing that are required.

At the top of the list is changing the rules that permit Border Guards to abandon their posts if they feel their lives are endangered, with no repercussions. They can be armed, but it has to be included in their job descriptions and training to actually defend themselves and the border, not just another item on the belt.

According to a piece in the Globe and Mail today George Scott, a National Vice President with the Customs and Excise Union says that, by arming the Border Guards he'd like to see the salaries of Customs Officers, now about $55,000, more closely align with that of RCMP officers who make about $70,000 and the end of using summer students.   Higher salaries and a newly created need for more full-timers staffers?  Sweet ::)

Not to slag the border guards, but they don't compare to RCMP officers. If they want to take on the same responsibilities as the RCMP, then fine, but until then the union needs to stop with the empire building.

There are some pretty lonely border crossings where armed officers would make alot of sense.

Yes, it really doesn't matter what type of weapons they are issued (hell we are not considering flame throwers are we?  :eek:) Just that will finally have the tools available if required to do their job,.... Guard the Border!

Border Guard = Guard the Border - makes sense to me,.... about time!

:salute:

It always struck me as funny that we would pass through our side and the guards would have a smile and a wave and the American side would have a smile, a wave and a big fricken .357.  So I guess what I'm saying is that it's about time.

Well I like the Sigs also, but I suspect that Glock stands a fair chance at winning the bid due to their pricing polices. But both Springfield and S&W have introduced new polymer pistols and they will be looking for a big contract which they can use for marketing purposes. Sig seems to have won quite a few contracts and likely won’t work really hard if pricing is the main issue. Don’t know what Berretta is like for pricing.

Of course the Government could save a whack of money and just issue the BHP’s in storage.

from my perspective, you need more than a gun to secure those border posts and prevent traffic from speeding thru the border posts.

at present, border guards can only count on goodwill (and luck) to get incoming traffic to stop, make declarations & submit to inspection.  With no barriers or chase cars available or on hand, how much good will that pistol be?.....

Lots more has to be done before we can say that borders are secured.... even if it is from the US

geo said:
from my perspective, you need more than a gun to secure those border posts and prevent traffic from speeding thru the border posts.

at present, border guards can only count on goodwill (and luck) to get incoming traffic to stop, make declarations & submit to inspection.  With no barriers or chase cars available or on hand, how much good will that pistol be?.....

Lots more has to be done before we can say that borders are secured.... even if it is from the US

Ain't that the truth, side arms are only a mere drop in the bucket, but its a start.

Cheers.

Side arms are only for personal protection, and will do nothing to stop border crashers.  There needs to be walled concrete defiles built with manual activated dragons teeth and a solid gate for the m/v's that don't go to secondary willingly.  It's not like the booth officer can start blowing rounds through the back window just because dude didn't turn into the right driveway. 
And then I will remortgage the house and open a tire store within the block.  ;D

thing is, in the US, there are the border guards/ immigration agents..... and then there is the border patrol.... which is a constabulary in it`s own right..... and we got none o' that

Jeese a "Glock" is a popgun compared to what the criminals and terrorists are carrying. Give them all UZI's and level the playing field. I think it would be more of deterent for the Bin-laden whanabees, if they see one of these slung over the guards shoulder other than a popgun "Glock". A 9MM Browning militay issue is even better than that.

a Hi-Power is better than a Glock? A GLOCK?

Not so much. For many reasons, chiefly amongst them being the ease of training with the plastic wondergun. No fiddling with safeties.

The other thing, they are phasing in these sidearms in two stages.

Stage One : Will be all the major crossing and ports in Canada. So placed like Vancouver, Windsor,  will have there guards trained and equipped first.

Stage Two : Train and arm the smaller and secondary Border Services outposts across Canada.

Seems like the whole idea of "arming the lonely border stations" might not actually occur straight out of the gate.

Back