• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Helicopters: Griffon/ Griffon Varient?

Future Unknown said:
There was a sea king flying out Thunder Bay today? any word on why that was there?

It's on an East to West aircraft rotation. All 3rd line maintenance is done in Halifax so when they're done with them, they're trucked out here for periodic inspection and then flown back. Flying it back takes less time than stripping it down for transport, driving across the country and then putting it all back together to fly again.

newfin said:
LMAO!!

You are going to take heat for that one.  But I did get a chuckle.

Actually (but don't tell any of them that I said so) I have considerable respect for the Sea King community.

Not for what they fly, but for some of the stuff that they do with it, and some of the conditions in which they do it.

Loachman said:
Actually (but don't tell any of them that I said so) I have considerable respect for the Sea King community.

Not for what they fly, but for some of the stuff that they do with it, and some of the conditions in which they do it.

Hovering is a whole new ball game when the landing pad is pitching 4 degrees and rolling 20 degrees!  ;D

Inch said:
Hovering is a whole new ball game when the landing pad is pitching 4 degrees and rolling 20 degrees!  ;D

That's part of the "stuff".

My only experience with that was helping DCIEM/DRDC Toronto developing a simulator for deck landings. Granted, we had no peripheral vision and that horizon bar thingy on top of the hangar didn't move, but still - no thank you.

Well you're going to be happy you're not on the Montreal. I'm not sure when they're doing it, but they'll be sailing shortly and actively looking for sea state to test the limits of the new RAST system for the Cyclone. 
3.gif

Inch said:
It's on an East to West aircraft rotation. All 3rd line maintenance is done in Halifax so when they're done with them, they're trucked out here for periodic inspection and then flown back. Flying it back takes less time than stripping it down for transport, driving across the country and then putting it all back together to fly again.

N45 57.9  W077 19.2

Inch said:
Well you're going to be happy you're not on the Montreal. I'm not sure when they're doing it, but they'll be sailing shortly and actively looking for sea state to test the limits of the new RAST system for the Cyclone. 
3.gif

Inch, Is that bad oscar installed in the Montreal now?  I remember seeing that it was going to be the first ship to have it put in.

Bad Oscar?? The Montreal is the official Cyclone trial ship. I believe right now they have the new trap installed or they should shortly but there are still some engineer changes to be completed. The Montreal is scheduled to sail in the new year (winter/spring) with the DLTV (Dead Load Test Vehicle) to work out all the limitations and procedures for traversing, straighting, etc. basically the non-flying portion of SHOPs.

Dead load test vehicle?
H3T... is that something like sailing with a big honking rock on the flight deck?
To test the ship's stability?

The DLTV is basically a big metal structure with the landing gear arrangement, weight, and size of the CH148. It will be used to verify some of the ship-helo issues prior to actually embarking the Cyclone. But yeah it is pretty much a big honking rock on the back of the ship. :)

«Ahhh... a rock on wheels... I can relate to that :)

Now the fun part about all that is not only are they sailing around with the DLTV bu they also get to have the "fun" of doing it when they are looking to sail into any of the arger storms that they can find.  I definately do not envy that tasking. 

Winter in the North Atlantic?
Finding angry storms shouldn't be trouble at all.....

Safe Harbour!

If "they" are seriously considering revamping the Griffon (see all previous discussions about engines, transmissions and assorted locknuts) is there any value/need/possibility in for or of those weird looking BERP paddles at the end of the EH-101 rotors?  I believe they are also used on the Super Lynx.

Transferred from Loachman's thread on INGRESS

lol,
no problem....

Its not like changing tires.  Changing to different blades would require an entire drivetrain overhaul - as they (BERPs) probably operate at a different efficient rotor RPM.  So now you'd have to change the combining gearbox and transmission to ensure the blades spin at the proper rpm - and they'd also produce different levels of torque at different power settings, so you'd need to change the tail rotor system as well.

By that time, you might as well switch to a Y model anyway.

Thanx again.  ;D

I take your point.  Its just that I have noted in the past a tendency to duck under procurement bars by using a strategy I've come to think of as "My Grandfather's Axe".  Others here have heard this before but just for clarity....My Grandfather bought an ax.  My Father replaced the handle. I replaced the head.  But it is still "My Grandfather's Axe".  The Military/Governmental/Commercial equivalent is replacing everything except the serial number.  The department then buys an upgrade from "operations and maintenance" as opposed to new kit from "capital" and doesn't upset the shareholders.

In this talk about "upgrading" the Griffon or its capabilities there has been previous discussion about replacing the drive-train and/or the power pack to something like the Y, if not the Y.  It was just as I saw Loachman's post this morning about I-BRUH-INGRESS (sounds like a beer ad) that I started wondering about what other "wonder" technologies could be piggy-backed to improve performance and got to wondering about those BERPs and whether they would make any difference at all.

Cheers

Back