• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New IRP / Move policy-effective Dec 01, 2017 [Merged]

Ya...they changed it around '09.  You know, to make it...more betterer! 

Any idea if the "Career Status" definition is still part of the whole move deal?

Buck_HRA said:
Clarification on moves: There are 3 types of moves within the CAF.
(1) DND (New Recruit) move: This move type is handled by the military (not Brookfield), any clarifications should be channeled through the respective CFRC to the CFRG HQ Movements Sergeant.
(2) DND Move: This move type is handled by the members orderly room (still not Brookfield), any clarifications on benefits should be sent to the applicable HRA/FSA handling your move through the Base Superintendent HRA/FSA to DCBA.
(3) Brookfield Move: This move type is for those that have reached Occupational Function Point (OFP), any clarifications on benefits are clarified directly by Brookfield.

Normally moves that fall under (1) and (2) are prohibited so there isn't much to handle

My trade has a roughly 4 year training time until OFP, so have done both 2 and 3.  You still get the main benefits for a DND move that you would from a Brookfield in terms of lawyer fees etc when it's not a prohibited move (ie you can buy a house and they move your furniture and effects). 

Not sure how common it is outside the Navy, as our training/employment is effectively at the same location, so it makes sense to not have a prohibited move for 2-3 years after some of the initial stuff is done.

Was reading about some of the IRP changes that are about to launch into effect, like the use of preloaded purchase cards and the transition from local offices to centralized call centres.  I also saw that there will be no more option to use the posting allowance to buy down mortgage rates.  I am curious what brings about that change.  As interest rates are going up, it does not seem like soldiers are being helped by seeing this go away.

Not certain about the mortgage interest buy-down; the CFIRP manual is still showing it:

8.3.15 Mortgage interest buydown
Personalized benefit
Interest expenses to buy down a mortgage and associated legal fees shall be reimbursed. Buy-down amount shall not be below the prescribed rate as determined by Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

(http://www.forces.gc.ca/assets/FORCES_Internet/docs/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/relocation-directive-2009-2015.pdf)

Just to be clear, dapaterson, that's the "expired by two years and we couldn't be bothered to write a new one" policy? ;D

Just taking the peepee out of ya, my friend! ;)

The system will take a while to catch up and fuck the member, but it will happen... BTDT

Cheers
G2G

The thing I don’t get about this debit card is that they refuse to pay insurance on a rental car because who knows what ‘basic insurance’ is. How am I supposed to rent a car without insuring it? at least my MasterCard insured rental vehicles.  Debit card: good idea domestically but in USA they barely know what a debit card is, they’re essentially a Visa card here, I can’t imagine that is going to work.

Kev994,

As you mentioned, some credit cards off car rental insurance.

People can also add a car rental insurance clause to their personal insurance policy.
Between postings / provinces the add-on has run about $20 extra per year.

Not if you have communist prairie insurance. For MPI the vehicle is insured, there is no rental car insurance available.

Where can we see the updates to the admistration of the relocation program?  I knew they were going the centralized administration way but I wasn't aware of changes to the policy itself.

For the interest buy-down:  if you do the math, it's only good for you if you do a full 5-year posting.  Anything less and you lose.  Better invest your personalied enveloppe in RRSP/TFSA.

I have only seen an email that was cut and pasted from a chain that came either from CMP or Army HQ.

The mechanism to roll personnel envelope into RRSP is apparently also gone.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-benefits/know-your-benefits-articles/update-modernizing-relocation.page

The above link says the benefits aren't affected. Para 8.3.15 of the CFIRP talks about the interest buy-down.  Not sure which is right or wrong.

MCG said:
The mechanism to roll personnel envelope into RRSP is apparently also gone.

This is a pretty basic income tax function, there’s nothing special about it. I have a hard time believing this could just disappear.

As far as I know, at this point there have been no changes to the benefits under CFIRP, only to how some things are administered.

That said, there is always the possibility that a new CFIRP could be approved in time for APS 18.

kev994 said:
This is a pretty basic income tax function, there’s nothing special about it. I have a hard time believing this could just disappear.
The RRSP would not disappear, but the mechanism to directly deposits the money without deducting tax will be gone. 

MCG said:
The RRSP would not disappear, but the mechanism to directly deposits the money without deducting tax will be gone.

You'll just get the money back in May vs keeping it in your pocket.  No net chance to your bottom line.

SupersonicMax said:
You'll just get the money back in May vs keeping it in your pocket.  No net chance to your bottom line.
Not so much.  If you put the whole unused portion of your personal envelope into an RRSP, that is better at tax time than if you put in the whole unused portion of your personal envelope less taxes deducted at source.  Now I acknowledge you could reach into other saving to make up the difference of what would go into the RRSP, but a lot (I would guess most) of people won’t (for various reasons). 

And even for those who use other funds to provide the RRSP with the value of deducted taxes, this change of process would see the government giving itself an interest free loan from on the pockets of a lot of service families for a period of (typically) most of a year (APS to tax filing season). That is not cool.

Has anyone else received an email, from the address above, about being owed some money from a recent posting ?  This is tied into our pay and benefit in crease we received in the summer.

It seems fishy that they need a copy of a blank cheque when they should already have my banking info.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Dear PO2 *********,

On 02 June 2017, a retroactive pay increase for Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) Members was announced for four fiscal years:
•2014/2015
•2015/2016
•2016/2017
•2017/2018

This retroactive pay increase will require an adjustment of the posting allowances of Members relocated under the IRP.

Our records indicate that you are eligible for an increase and, as your file has been reconciled, you are entitled to an additional gross amount of $***** in a lump sum payment.

How much will I receive?

The amount you will receive is the difference in posting allowance, between the previous pay rate and your new pay rate, net of taxes and other standard withholding amounts as required by Canada Revenue Agency.

How will I receive my payment?

Through a direct deposit to your bank account for the amount due to you, net of taxes and other standard withholding amounts. Please note that no interest will be paid and payments cannot be used towards a Registered Retired Savings Plan (RRSP).

Do I have to do anything?

Yes. Follow the instructions at the end of this email.

Is it taxable?

Yes, this Posting Allowance payment is a taxable benefit, like all lump sum cash payments from your Personalized funding envelope. We will issue a T4 and/or RL1 for the applicable taxation year by 28 Feb of the following year. For example, payments issued before 31 Dec 2017 will be taxable in 2017, and we will issue a T4/RL1 by 28 Feb 2018.

When will I receive my payment?

RAPA payments must be complete by 10 Apr 2018. Once entitlements and banking have been re-verified, payment will be made as quickly as possible. All RAPA payments must be completed by 10 Apr 2018

What if I have a question?

Please contact us and we will be pleased to answer your questions or give you any additional information you need. You can reach us at retro.pay@bgrs.ca

Instructions:  Follow These Two Mandatory Steps to Receive Your Payment
1.Provide a void cheque or a letter from your financial institution to confirm that we have valid banking information to send the payment by EFT. Please upload a copy of your void cheque or the letter from your financial institution on the Member Secure Website at www.relodialogue.com: ◦From the Home tab select Document Management from the left menu bar.
◦A new page will open
◦Complete the steps as prompted and select the appropriate category of Void Cheque – Banking Information
◦Attach the scanned cheque or letter
◦Hit “Submit.”

2.Update your mailing address on the Member Secure Website to ensure your T4/RL1 is updated accordingly: ◦From the Home tab select Your Profile from the left menu bar.
◦A series of folders will open
◦Select Mailing Address
◦Hit the “Add” button to add your new mailing address

A number of us here on IR have got this, myself included.  They need updated info to process.  Its legit. 

That's not to say they can't be idiots.  A Chief who came up and back was informed he was getting $4k, he said there must be a mistake to which they replied they had checked with his employer, the sum was correct and not to contact them again on the matter.  He's going to put the money aside and wait for the clawback.

The sum I'm getting is $78 gross which is about what l figured it would be.

I received the same email.  It's all legitimate.  I too was a little surprised they needed this information - again.  However, I did actually check my posting file on the secure website and noticed that there was in fact no void cheque there.  I suspect they collected that in person when I opened the file for the actual posting.  I think this whole process is mostly about ensuring they don't make a mistake.  A pain in the butt for sure, but understandable.

As it turns out, my return will be about $500 gross (which is correct), but $4K seems wildly excessive.  Whose pay has gone up that much in the last four years?, or alternatively, who's been posted that many times that they're owed that much back pay on several payments of posting allowance?

Back