• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"New" Lee Enfield Rifle

ton_ami69

Reaction score
I was looking around online for an old but still working Lee Enfield No4 MkI rifle and just came upon this site.  www.aiarms.ca  From what they say, it's a new improved version of the rifle.  Anyone of you know anything about it?  If so, is it worse, same or better. 
I was thinking of using it on the local gun range with maybe some use in the fall for hunting deer and/or moose.

Marstar sells them,

M10-B-series.jpg

$800 for a .308 Lee-Enfield is kinda steep, but they sure look nice...

COBRA-6 said:
$800 for a .308 Lee-Enfield is kinda steep, but they sure look nice...

This seems like it was meant to be a "tribute" weapon, so one would think that it would look identical to its predecessor. The magazine seems is out of place. I would hope that you could replace it with the original. 

Nice weapon though.

They are made in Vietnam -- despite the Australian claim (remember Aussies gun laws...)

I suppose they removed the old mag so you wouldn't have to load it with stripper clips?

It is NOT a Lee Enfield. Read the article.

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-AIA/M10-N4.shtm

Australian International Arms' No.4 mk.IV rifle blends the best features of the SMLE (Short Magazine Lee Enfield) rifles from which it is a direct descendant with the latest technological advancements in engineering and manufacturing techniques. The result is an accurate, rugged, and reliable rifle built to withstand the higher pressures generated by modern 7.62mm NATO ball ammunition - yet this unique rifle is equipped with the fastest cycling military type bolt action around and fitted with a hand-rubbed oil-finished solid teak stock!

Like all the rifles in the M10 series, the No.4 mk.IV incorporates a long list of standard features, improvements, and refinements over the venerable SMLE rifle while retaining its superb balance, reliability, and lightning quick Lee Enfield action shooters throughout the commonwealth know and love. Chrome-lined free-floating target-crowned barrels, easily detachable ten round box magazines, use of widely available 7.62x51mm NATO (.308 Winchester) ammunition, factory setup for optional steel weaver scope rail, forged receiver 1.5x thicker than the original, and Brewer locking collar (Savage) headspacing system are a few of the many design enhancements which make the M10 rifle a Lee Enfield for the 21st century.

The AIA No.4 mk.IV has a non-glare parkerized finish and comes fitted with a 'full military' style furniture made from solid teak! The barrel bands are the early hinged type, which are much easier to remove and replace than the 'tension' type, making the No.4 mk.IV easy to disassemble. Every stock is hand fitted and topped with a hand-rubbed tru-oil(tm) finish. The result is a rifle that is every bit as eye-appealing as it is accurate: truly a modern military classic!

Vietnam...

I want to puke about the Australian International Arms bit.

Infidel-6 said:
Vietnam...

I want to puke about the Australian International Arms bit.

Not disputing that part I-6. Just don't want people thinking they're purchasing a reverse engineered LE. The AIA No. 4 is no more an Enfield than the Ruger Mini Thirty is an M14.

Good point -- and I was not ranting about your comment -- I was ranting that MARSTAR and WOLVERINE SUPLIES have the audacity to advertise it that way...

IMO nothing can beat the real 1942 No4 MkII* Longbranch ;D

Fancy pants little wannabe LE can't hold a candle!

I understand the mag is very close to the M14's but different enough that they don't need to be pinned to 5 rds, from what I read the modifications needed to take them is not difficult.

The reciever is also heavier and the cross brace over the bolt is wider. the receiver is tapped to allow for the mounting of rails. If I had the money I would get one.

Wonder if the Rangers would consider them and also how many of the spare parts would fit?

I've got a mate who's got the carbine, reckons its a great rifle and out shoots my old enfield which i wouldnt doubt. We dont have any crap about 5 round mags either, and in regards to Aussie gun laws bolt action rifles arent restricted. Its automatic weapons that are restricted.
The M10 is a new, modern bolt-action with that beautiful SMLE look and i'd love to get my hands on one if i could fork out the $400-500 asked for it over here.

I have one of these, an M10A2 carbine in 7.62 x 39mm. Picatinny rail, takes AK mags, and is great. Works well, robust, yes made in VN. I do know one good friend involved in engineering and trails, and hence thats why I bought one. 16.5in bbl, and is a 21st century Lee-Enfiled.

Nothing but good words. Accurate, and well made.

Wes

Wesley 'Over There' (formerly Down Under) said:
I have one of these, an M10A2 carbine in 7.62 x 39mm. Picatinny rail, takes AK mags, and is great. Works well, robust, yes made in VN. I do know one good friend involved in engineering and trails, and hence thats why I bought one. 16.5in bbl, and is a 21st century Lee-Enfiled.

Nothing but good words. Accurate, and well made.

Wes

Wes,

This post is useless without pics... :cheers:

blake

I did post some pics prior to my deployment, but being in Shyteland til well into 2007, other pics might have to wait a while. ;)

I paid around $1000AUD for mine. It came with the rail, sniper cheek pad, M1903 style water buffalo sling, and yes, 2 10rd AK mags. I picked up many others since then.

Cheers,

Wes

Ladies and Gentlemen,

having been taught to shot with a No 4 as a child, and having owned some 17 during my life, I am always interested in anything to do with this superb piece of military equipment.

So my eyes lit up when I saw this message, HOWEVER.

May I say that there is in Australia no such company in Australian records online, called 'Australian International Arms', a search of the company registrations, the Australian Customs licenced producers/distributors/retail outlets of fire arms, shows no such.  Both websites show companies that date back 1996, from when they went on line, so defunct companies are shown.

Licenced companies relating to fire arms include those who assemble component parts to manufacture a weapon, all weapons manufactured or assembled in Australia must show prominently company and place of manufacture, and a serial number.  This also includes ancillary equipment such as scopes, with fully imported weapons, the importer must prove to Australian Customs that the imported weapons have received such.

I find the message cross reference re this 'clone' weapon rather odd.  The 'battle scope' for the F88 Austeyr rifle (also fitted to the Light Support Weapon = Cnd C9), was only manufactured for government orders, no civil supply (also the photo showing the scope is not a Steyr scope), those supplied do have serial numbers.

When in Lithgow, two weeks ago for a ceremony at the Australian Defence Industry's 'Small Arms Factory' Museum, the subject of nostalgia weapons was discussed, ADI has manufactured quite a few over recent years.  The subject of re manufacturing the Lee Enfield in the No 4 variant (not manufactured for the defence force) came up, there is no point of doing so as there is so many Chinese clones being manufactured by various organisations (it pointed out that such weapons have very suspect metallurgy) at very cheap prices, also in a wide variaty of calibres.  Also that there are large stocks in the dealer community throughout Australia and New Zealand.

I had scanned and copied the messages re this and sent off to a friend in the hunting/fishing/military supplies business in Queensland, she having come back, stating that there are well known 'cons' relating to Chinese manufactured small arms.  Imported to Australia, 'bodgie' markings put on them, then exported to the North American market as firearms from Australia!!!  Whilst she has heard of the company, she knows of no one selling such.  Further, she in common with other sensible dealers, does not sell any such imported weapons from Asia, the laws re litigation relating to occupation health and safety are so draconian and the lawyers so hungry, you cannot afford to sell dubious weapons or ammunition.

So I must say that these 'Australian International Arms' are not.

Also the shooting of water buffalo and camels is quite plainly shown in the Conservation Department websites of the Queensland, Northern Territory and West Australian Governments, is totally illegal without a permit to shoot (a specified number shown), these are only granted to proven applicants and shooting is only granted in very restricted circumstances.  Both animals are major earners of foreign currency, 20K wild camels are exported to the Middle East yearly, while Water Buffalo are slaughtered for the 'wild' meat market in Europe and the US (very popular in Germany due to the very low level of cholesterol, only marginally higher than Kangaroo).  So I'm afraid you cannot come to Australia and blow them away.

If your going to buy a No 4, buy a real one.

Yours,
G/.
G.A.MACKINLAY

Firstly for the above members post, don't read into it too deeply. I don't take kindly to having some stranger attempt to shoot down my credibility. So please take what he says as a grain of salt.

According to him, it looks like I am in the possession of a rifle which is a Chi-Com copy, and the people I know in Brisbane on the design and engineering are really not. Oh, and the scope I had is a copy? Then for him to say its (the optics) are not from an F88/89? WTF does he know? That scope was/is identical on the current F88 family and F89A1P family of weapons, like my F88S-C which is not even a metre from me right now. That pattern of optics was introduced in 1998, when the 1st genration rail mounting system was changed to the standard Picatinny system. You must be looking at some old pics! Sadly, I have since traded off that scope on a Eotech 'AA' scope for my M10A2, but I would not have purchased anything it if it was a fake. I am not an idiot. I know my kit, period!

My M10A2 was purchased at Rebel Gun Works at the Gabba in Brisbane. They sell many. So does Lawrance Ordnance on George St.

The AIA series of rifles are made off shore in VN thats a fact!. We know that. The company does not keep that a secret. The rifle has met rigid testing in Australia prior to runs being made. The rifle does have serial numbers, importers listed, etc, (and its no bodgy) including the original US one for export to the USA. So Gordon, try going to a gun shop (Lawrance Ordnance for example - they market them, ask a few questions, handle the firearm, rather than doing INet queries and jumping to idiotic conclusions. Get your facts straight before you assume everything you read is fact), there are a few others in Sydney. I lived there for 10 yrs in the Shire. So, try searching for more info in the web if you are at all interested.

So goes the adds for hunting in many Australian magazines on private property for creatures of choice also are just rumours, or crap spouting from my mouth, and many I know have lied to me, forged photos, etc. As I stated in a previous post, I look forward to going out and doing some hunting of said beasts, (after all they are feral and introduced) all through the proper queries and 'chain of command' if it can be called' that. Unfortunatley I have been too busy this year, and by next year, myself and friends will hopefully venture into the outback for a hunting trip or two.

Now Gordon, mate, and I say that word loosely if you want to call me a lair and some type of bull shyte artist, call it to my face. I have got nothing to hide. I am no stranger to ADI-L. Been out numerous times over the years, behind the wire, seen many things including M1 Garand recievers made there, etc, plus been in the Museum armoury, upstairs I had been invited by invitation to privately view and handle/examine the collection not nomally seen by visitors. Yes, with pics to prove it. Check my website.

I don't know who you are, or your credentials, but you've come off rather rude, being absent from here for a period of years, I would have thought you would present more common sense. I don't need to be belittled shot down or contested by someone like you on here, so thankyou very much!

Retired RAAFy officer or not, get your facts straight before you gob off calling down someone elses knowledge and experience. I have plenty. Or better yet,  why not a simple PM to me for queries, to avoid such a hostile response.

Try going to my website, you can google it by searching for 'the L1A1 Armourer'. Being in the trade for going on 31yrs in two armies, I know my shyte, as I am not some young niave snotty nosed wannabe.

Next thing you're going to tell me is that I am not in Baghdad, but sitting outside some Outback Pub in Winton.

If you are going to have an attitude like you have possessed, and being so rude, especailly after not being on here for 2 yrs, prehaps you should disappear under whatever rock you've been hiding under, Mr Know-it-all!

Again to all members, this guy is simply talking out his arse.

Enough said, feathers rustled,

Wes

PS - EDITed for MORE clarity

Thank you for your response, Sir,

Having sent the correspondence, and my response to it to a number of people in the gun sports trade throughout Australia, and those involved on a professional basis with the civilian arms industry, last night.  None in their reply, have made any other response other than to make agreement with my laying out of the facts.

In regard to the killing of camels and buffalo, one respondent who edits a premier game sporting magazine made the comment "many overseas sports shooters arrive in Queensland under the belief gaining by reading adverts that they will be able to shoot such (and crocodiles, which you did not mention).  They leave Australia and bad mouth tour operators for not supplying what they though they could get, but, in my certain knowledge those cockies doing it hard in the drought, are allowing illegal shooting in the North of Camels and Buffs.  Anything to bring the hard dollar in."  A cockie is those who run sheep or cattle properties (read ranches)

Yours,
G/.
G.A.MACKINLAY who was once also a Regimental Sergeant Major in a different life

Back