• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Minister of Veterans Affairs: Mandate Letter, etc.

Teager said:
I've noticed a lot of vets complaining that there haven't been any changes yet. I believe Minister Hehr said he doesn't have a magic wand that can just fix everything immediately. It's going to take some time. I'd prefer they take some time and get it right and not rush things like the NVC.

From what I have read the Minister has said they have 400 new staff in the pipe and are working on getting the VAC offices re-opened. The Minister mentioned that the pension could take at least a year or more to implement.

There is a crap ton of things the Liberals promised to vets but only time will tell.
The NVC was not a rush job. It was created by the Paul Martin Liberals with Bi partisan support and IIRC support from the Legion. The Conservatives just picked up where the liberals left off.

Tcm621 said:
It was created by the Paul Martin Liberals with Bi partisan support and IIRC support from the Legion.
No shortage of blame to go around, indeed.

Tcm621 said:
The NVC was not a rush job. It was created by the Paul Martin Liberals with Bi partisan support and IIRC support from the Legion. The Conservatives just picked up where the liberals left off.

I believe it was a rush job. It was left as a "living" document so changes could be made more so because it was pushed through very quickly. There were articles that all parties came up with the NVC during a plane flight. There's a lot that points to a rush job.

A bit more from the Minister.

reinstituting lifelong pensions for veterans, new care centres and hiring 400 additional staff: 300 million dollars of new spending on veterans a year.

Meanwhile, the latest fiscal update shows the projected deficit has already ballooned to $3 billion.

On paying for it all, Hehr doesn’t appear all that worried.

“It’s going to be a challenge, but it always is,” he said. “I’m going to go to Treasury Board, we’re gonna show what we’ve committed to, what that costs and go forward.”

Whether he and the government can rise to that challenge and others remains to be seen, but Hehr insists his focus will be on the men and women he serves – “rebuilding their lives” as he puts it.

That’s a process he knows a lot about.

“I’m doing everything I really ever dreamed of, which is to be happy. I’m 100 per cent happy at the end of the day.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/2379200/the-ministers-veterans-affairs-minister-kent-hehr-on-rebuilding-lives/

Just VAC and Climate Change alone is now $800M a year. I wonder who's going to not get their promises filled when they run out of cash.... :facepalm:

PuckChaser said:
Just VAC and Climate Change alone is now $800M a year. I wonder who's going to not get their promises filled when they run out of cash.... :facepalm:

<cough> Not Quebec <cough>  ;D

“I’m doing everything I really ever dreamed of, which is to be happy. I’m 100 per cent happy at the end of the day.”

I am truly happy that we can make him happy - and it only costs 300 MCAD per annum - indefinitely.

Hello All,

Regarding the reinstituting of lifelong pensions for veterans, which in itself is great news but.. how can the government give back pensions to veterans who received (and in most cases used up or invested) a Disability Award?

A few thoughts from our peanut gallery;

1.  Knowing that many of the New Veteran Charter allowances only apply to Post-Pension vets and are not available to those with a pension. It seems logical to believe that, if they instituted pensions once again, that we would loose Income Replacements and Permanent Impairment allowances just to name a few. The VIP and the Family Caregiver Attendance Allowance would probably still remain since these are not related to income of the pensioner.

2.  Here is what the Canadian Pension Act para 37 (4) says about the subject: - http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/P-6/page-10.html#docCont

" Any pensioner who has accepted a final payment under any provisions previously contained in this Act but now repealed may, if it is found on examination that his or her pensionable disability has persisted or increased, be restored to pension in respect thereof as of the date on which the amount of the final payment received by the pensioner is or was equal to the sum of the instalments of pension that the pensioner would have received if, instead of accepting a final payment, he or she had continued to receive pension at the rate in force immediately before the final payment was made, or as of six months prior to the date of the examination, whichever is the later date."

In sum, it appears that if the Government wished to return veterans from a Disability Award (DA) to a Pension, there is policy in place for such a thing. if the amount of the DA has been paid in full, then the difference between the value of the entire pension and the DA could be spread evenly into a new monthly pension. Provided that the disability has persisted and or increased.

Basically, if a 40 year old single veteran, 50% disabled under VAC, would be receiving approx $1500 per month under the old system. Under the new system, $153K in one lump sum is what he/she would receive. Let say he/she lives until he/she is 80 years old which is 40 years of pensions, the total pension sum paid monthly under the old system would be worth $720K. Take the $720K minus the DA of $153K and he/she is left with $567K in this potential (pot of money for a pension)

So, we take the "pot of money for a pension" and we divide it by 40 years and per month. The new "potential" pension payment would be $1181.25. No need to repay back the DA since its factored in.

Again, our thoughts on how VA might proceed with this policy change. It can be done and there is law in effect that allows them to do so now. The only issue is that for some, the allowances/benefits currently in place under the New Veterans Charter may be worth more than the "renegotiated/potential" pension amount. It may not benefit all members.

What do you all think?

Porch-Light.org said:
The only issue is that for some, the allowances/benefits currently in place under the New Veterans Charter may be worth more than the "renegotiated/potential" pension amount. It may not benefit all members.

Very few cases though really as many of the "newly" injured (for lack of better classification) are quite young and while their DA payments may have been higher % wise, those payouts wouldn't even come close to the life-time amount given their life expectancy.

Of course this is all generalization of course so how it will apply in real life, especially once politics gets involved, will be different. You seem correct though; the math seems relatively straight forward and was pretty much what this old budget manager was thinking to.

I have absolutely no knowledge of the old pension system; where did you get your numbers from? (% = monthly $ I mean)

Wookilar said:
Very few cases though really as many of the "newly" injured (for lack of better classification) are quite young and while their DA payments may have been higher % wise, those payouts wouldn't even come close to the life-time amount given their life expectancy.

Of course this is all generalization of course so how it will apply in real life, especially once politics gets involved, will be different. You seem correct though; the math seems relatively straight forward and was pretty much what this old budget manager was thinking to.

I have absolutely no knowledge of the old pension system; where did you get your numbers from? (% = monthly $ I mean)

We found the Disability Pension numbers halfway down...on here - http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/rates#disaward

Agreed with your previous points. Will just have to wait and see if and when this all comes out..But its always fun to crunch the numbers right ;)

For anyone that's interested a look at Minister Kent Hehr and his background.

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/kent-hehr-the-energizer-bunny-whos-back-in-the-game/

Hmm. Quite an interesting read. Hopefully his experiences will translate into an ability to understand and assist our vets.

He's been doing a lot of talking and promising, but I've seen no sign of the changes he's talked about. :dunno:

I'm willing to give him at least a year and see where things stand then.

Teager said:
I'm willing to give him at least a year and see where things stand then.
I think the coming budget (maybe 21 or 22 March?) will show how much of a priority vets' issues are, compared to other priorities.

milnews.ca said:
I think the coming budget (maybe 21 or 22 March?) will show how much of a priority vets' issues are, compared to other priorities.

Definitely a good benchmark. A lot of the changes can't be made without budgetting the cost. However, giving veterans the benefit of the doubt is an easy change, and has not been implemented yet.

PuckChaser said:
... giving veterans the benefit of the doubt is an easy change, and has not been implemented yet.
Sadly, because even that will (likely) cost money, that may also be why it hasn't been done yet.

Not much new info in the Ministers update.

Minister Hehr provides update on first 100 days
The Honourable Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence, issued the following statement:

“Today marks the 100th day since I was appointed Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence. Each and every day I am honoured and proud to serve those who wear—or who have worn—our nation’s uniform.

“The Prime Minister has given me an aggressive mandate, one that I plan to fulfill through stronger relationships with Veterans and the organizations that represent them. For me, consultation will be the cornerstone of my approach as I look to the men and women who have served to tell me how best to serve them, and their families.

“Just hours after my appointment, I addressed Veterans and guests at a candlelight tribute that connects Veterans and youth and passes the torch of remembrance to younger generations. It was a truly inspiring way to start the work ahead.

“During my first days, I participated in a number of Veterans’ Week activities, including Remembrance Day ceremonies in Ottawa. This special day was humbling and concluded a week of learning and listening. It reconfirmed my commitment to ensuring that we get Veterans the care they need, when and where they need it.

“Within the first month, I travelled across the country to engage with Veterans and Veterans’ organizations, and held my first Veterans’ Stakeholder Summit in Ottawa in December. Next, I travelled to Poland and Ukraine to meet our Canadian Armed Forces troops during the holidays and to thank them for their service on behalf of all Canadians.

“No matter where I am—small towns, rural areas or major cities—the concern and compassion Canadians have for our Veterans and their families is remarkable.

“It became clear to me that I needed to lay the building blocks for a higher standard of service that will address Veterans’ needs in the years to come.

“To that effect, a new Priorities Secretariat has been created to focus on three key issues that were quickly identified as priorities: improving the support available for homeless and at-risk Veterans; support for Veterans’ families; and support for those transitioning to civilian careers. Mr. Tim Kerr, a 28-year Veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces, is leading the Secretariat and has begun his work in earnest.

“I have learned that access to effective mental health support is an area in which we must do better. The Government of Canada recognizes how serious the issues of mental health and post-traumatic stress disorder are and, as a start, we’re implementing a number of new initiatives.

“We’re launching a new Operational Stress Injury Resource for Caregivers—an online, self-directed tool designed for caregivers and families of Canadian Armed Forces members or Veterans living with an operational stress injury.

“A new Director of Mental Health, Joel Fillion, has been hired. He will lead the development and execution of a Veterans Affairs Mental Health Strategy; the educational support and training in the area of mental health to departmental front-line staff; and the managerial oversight of the Operational Stress Injury National Network.

“We also hired a National Pharmacy Advisor, Katherine Vesterfelt, to ensure that the Department has professionals with the proper medical and professional experience in place to help get Veterans the supports they need.

“My first 100 days have been exciting and I look forward to achieving much more in the future as we make progress on the many significant items in my mandate letter. Already we have re-hired more than 175 front-line staff to provide more support to Veterans across Canada and soon, Veterans will once again be able to access services in offices closed in recent years.

“I am committed to listening, and doing more for Veterans and their families. I will build a higher standard of service and will deliver this service to the men and women who have sacrificed for our country with the care, compassion and respect that they deserve.”

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do;jsessionid=3d1559fa626c00e82d9dd8868fbb092c8ca38b3dc6f1b63ca6666efdfb963517.e38RbhaLb3qNe3aPahb0?mthd=index&crtr.page=1&nid=1034039

Back