• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New policy for DND/CF email addresses

ArmyVern said:
for French version - see reverse

;DThat is the BEST.  Thank you for making me laugh...but why are you still at your desk?

MARS said:
;DThat is the BEST.  Thank you for making me laugh...but why are you still at your desk?

Geez, that post was over an hour ago. I left work, drove 5 minutes to the NBLC and picked up some Caesars, then drove 5 minutes more to home ... and am sitting here enjoying one right now.

:)

I can be quick when I wanna be.  ;)

But, in all due fairness ... my siggy block should rightfully say:

francais au verse (or something like that).  :-\

ArmyVern said:
Geez, that post was over an hour ago. I left work, drove 5 minutes to the NBLC and picked up some Caesars, then drove 5 minutes more to home ... and am sitting here enjoying one right now.

:)

I can be quick when I wanna be.  ;)

But, in all due fairness ... my siggy block should rightfully say:

francais au verse (or something like that).  :-\

or french text to follow  ;D

Hot Lips said:
And you are not an NCO...Cpls are NCMs Eye...thought you'd know better than that  ^-^

HL

Cpls are NCOs.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/cfpn/engraph/9_05/9_05_cfpn-qc_ncm-nco_e.asp

I think we are getting a little too wrapped up in this.

It is clear it will never work.

Look at the example:  email address; telephone; fax; teletypewriter…

Somewhere, out there, thousands of staff officers and senior enlisted types are befuddled by no where to place their Blackberry contact numbers…..

(I think the last time I touched a teletype was in 1989 – ah the model 40)

sent from the evil that is my electronic leash = blackberry / Someday I'll get a french course

IIRC, they are not allowed to use the word "Blackberry" in their signature block.  They have to use mobile device or PDA or some such nonsense so that we are not seen as favoring one brand over another.  ::)

So my signature block should be bilingual, even though if I recieve something in French I'll be hard pressed to understand and respond to it? Makes sense!!

PuckChaser said:
................? Makes sense!!

Come on now.  You should know better.  "Makes sense" usually means something is wrong.  Normal MO for the CF is in the "Doesn't Make Sense" realm.

We were instructed/told to go to this new format months ago.  Our unit Sgt-Maj handed it down and each sect supvr had to make sure/enforce that it was done.  No big deal, it just takes up a lot more space at the bottom of your email and when it has gone to a few other people, as in either replies or forwarding...it adds up to PAGES.  :facepalm:

mike63 said:
We were instructed/told to go to this new format months ago.  Our unit Sgt-Maj handed it down and each sect supvr had to make sure/enforce that it was done.  No big deal, it just takes up a lot more space at the bottom of your email and when it has gone to a few other people, as in either replies or forwarding...it adds up to PAGES.  :facepalm:

Pssst...that "new" format was rolled out three years ago.  Take a look at the first post in the thread.  ;D

The thread only recently got sidetracked onto the topic of Shared Services Canada.

mike63 said:

Did they bother to tell you that it only required for emails to organizations outside DND ?

Occam said:
Pssst...that "new" format was rolled out three years ago.  Take a look at the first post in the thread.  ;D

The thread only recently got sidetracked onto the topic of Shared Services Canada.

Yeah I know it was 'rolled out' years ago.  All I was trying to say was that in our unit, it was only enforced a few months back.

CDN Aviator said:
Did they bother to tell you that it only required for emails to organizations outside DND ?

And no they didn't.  We were only told "this is the only signature allowed".  We all have the same thing now.

mike63 said:
And no they didn't.  We were only told "this is the only signature allowed".  We all have the same thing now.

My Unit has the same policy in effect.

No big deal. It contains the same info and it's not like you have to type the sig block in each time. Why not use the one common format in a Unit for all your emails then? After all, you never know when an email of yours will need to be sent to an outside agency either civ or fed.

Take a 1st line Sup Tech at a Unit QM emailing to another Sup tech working in Cust Svcs for example ... officially, it only requires the 4 line simple sig block. What if that Cust Svcs tech then needs to forward that email to PWGSC or a local supplier because it's about something that needs to be contracted or LPOd? The supplier (in Quebec) needs specs on "what" exact item is required in order to supply ... how would they contact you, the end-user, to confirm?

Like it or not, we belong and work for the Feds; it's federal policy (as noted prior) and HAS been federal policy for many years now.

Why would anyone want to build in two different sig blocks and then have to pick and choose between each one every time they sent an email? Why not use the federal standard sig block and cover all the bases at once; as an added bonus, you can then have that default into every email you send saving you from having to make a choice. Seems simple enough to me.

**** If your email body is worded in either english (or french) --- the recipient is going to realize that you've communicated your requirement in either english (or french) as the primary language of that email. It's not rocket science. I've been using it for at least 3 years now (with outside agencies too!!) and never once have I sent out one in english 'body' text with the bilingual sig block and gotten a "french" response back. Likewise when I've sent out the main body text in french --- I'll get the answer back in french despite the bilingual sig block.

**** I'm curious if anyone can provide any data on CF aneurysm rates ... are they above the national average with people stressing over something as minimal mundane as this??

I have 3 sig blocks set up -

Reply - Name and Rank. 

Internal - Standard stuff we always did - name, rank, posn, phone and fax.

external - the "new" bilingual and everything spelled out for the world format.

I have the reply and internal auto set to insert so the only one I have to select is the external one for the occasional time I need it. I also only use it on the first email I send.  The back and forth replies get the reply signature signature.

I hate having a one page email chain take up three pages because of all the external signature blocks.

ArmyVern said:
**** I'm curious if anyone can provide any data on CF aneurysm rates ... are they above the national average with people stressing over something as minimal mundane as this??
    :rofl:

Bump as I know a few have asked about it.

From the April 2013 CMP newsletter:

E-mail etiquette: Creating a signature block

Creating a bilingual signature block isn’t just a question of respecting the rules, it’s also polite. Wondering how to make sure your emails are signed correctly?

Here are a few tips:
• Ensure that both official languages are present.
• Use the same colours, style and size for each language.

The order of the official languages in the signature block
is determined geographically:
–– French appears first for offices located in Quebec.
–– English appears first for offices located elsewhere in Canada.

Examples

French – English
Raymond Martin
Caporal-chef | Master Corporal
Communications du Gp GI | IM Gp Communications
Groupe de gestion de l’information | Information
Management Group
Défense nationale | National Defence
Montréal, Canada H1N 3V9
Raymond.Martin@forces.gc.ca
Téléphone | Telephone 819-999-9999
Télécopieur | Facsimile 819-999-9999
Téléimprimeur (Défense nationale) | Teletypewriter
(National Defence) 1-800-467-9877
Gouvernement du Canada | Government of Canada

English – French
Raymond Martin
Master Corporal | Caporal-chef
IM Gp Communications | Communications du Gp GI
Information Management Group | Groupe de gestion
de l’information
National Defence | Défense nationale
Ottawa, Canada K1A 0K2
Raymond.Martin@forces.gc.ca
Telephone | Téléphone 613-999-9999
Facsimile | Télécopieur 613-999-9999
Teletypewriter (National Defence) | Téléimprimeur
(Défense nationale) 1-800-467-9877
Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada

The order of the official languages in the signature block is determined geographically:
–– French appears first for offices located in Quebec.
–– English appears first for offices located elsewhere in Canada.

As an Anglophone in an English-essential Public Service position in Gatineau, QC - it ain't happening.  ;D

Is CMP going to translate my signature block for me? I don't speak French.

I just winged it on mine.... ;D

And google translates work ok.....

Sergeant | Sergent
XX Engineer Squadron | XX Escadron Du Génie
XX Combat Engineer Regiment | XX Régiment du Genie de Combat

Back