• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New RCAF Command Badge?

rotrhed

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Caught a snippet of conversation today just as I was leaving work about an email going around spreading word about a new RCAF command badge. I didn't have time to read or process the entire thing but the email seemed to suggest this badge would be worn on the tunic and SS shirt. Don't know if it was just for non-AF types working for the RCAF or for the whole works of us in light blue.

Anyone have the inside track? Half the base is still waiting for white-thread wings or trade badges from the new initiative 3 years ago and I still only have one set of dress slip ons because supply isn't getting any more in any time soon, so a new command badge is completely believable.

Is this a bad time to mention that I think the Army's new forage cap is a pretty awesome piece of kit?  [:D
 

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
239
Points
680
Is the RCAF still wearing the the badge that was worn by Air Command?

If the rumour is true, this is another victory for setting priorities.  We turn back millions of dollars because we do not have the staff power to procure operational kit, but we surplus capacity invest in fashion ... again and again and again ...
 

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
1,086
Points
940
bigzoomie said:
Caught a snippet of conversation today just as I was leaving work about an email going around spreading word about a new RCAF command badge. I didn't have time to read or process the entire thing but the email seemed to suggest this badge would be worn on the tunic and SS shirt. Don't know if it was just for non-AF types working for the RCAF or for the whole works of us in light blue.

Bit of an update - our unit has been told to get said badges by 01 Sep.  At least in the sqn I work in, it looks like all members are to wear it on DEUs.

Maybe it's just my pea brain, but one would think that light blue types wearing Air Operations cap badges would fall under the RCAF command structure.  The support trades of other elements can wear one, but having everyone wear one seems a little redundant.
 

BinRat55

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Dimsum said:
Bit of an update - our unit has been told to get said badges by 01 Sep.  At least in the sqn I work in, it looks like all members are to wear it on DEUs.

Maybe it's just my pea brain, but one would think that light blue types wearing Air Operations cap badges would fall under the RCAF command structure.  The support trades of other elements can wear one, but having everyone wear one seems a little redundant.

Is it the one with the wings off the badge or the bird completely inside the border of the pin?
 

Loachman

Former Army Pilot in Drag
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
451
Points
980
There are people who wear light blue and Air Ops cap badges in NDHQ, CJOC, SOFCOM (especially 427 Squadron), MILPERSCOM, and possibly other commands.
 

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
1,086
Points
940
Loachman said:
There are people who wear light blue and Air Ops cap badges in NDHQ, CJOC, SOFCOM (especially 427 Squadron), MILPERSCOM, and possibly other commands.

I think you misunderstand me.  People wearing Command badges if they're in a different command than their uniform (e.g SOFCOM etc) makes sense. 
 

PuckChaser

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
577
Points
1,060
Dimsum said:
I think you misunderstand me.  People wearing Command badges if they're in a different command than their uniform (e.g SOFCOM etc) makes sense.

Might be a pendulum issue. Main concern was purple trades wearing RCAF uniforms unable to wear a command badge, so someone designed a command badge for all RCAF pers to wear instead of just authorizing command badges for those in units who would wear them...
 

Furniture

Sr. Member
Reaction score
100
Points
480
As a blue suit wearing purple type I always wore the applicable command badge when I was in DEU. I have a small collection of the various ones I wore in a drawer at home.

Maybe the RCAF decided they wanted more bling on the DEU, trying to catch up to the RCN and CA.
 

rotrhed

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Dimsum said:
Bit of an update - our unit has been told to get said badges by 01 Sep.  At least in the sqn I work in, it looks like all members are to wear it on DEUs.

Maybe it's just my pea brain, but one would think that light blue types wearing Air Operations cap badges would fall under the RCAF command structure.  The support trades of other elements can wear one, but having everyone wear one seems a little redundant.

No murmurs in 1 CAD...yet. Can you post a pic when you have in hand? Curious to see what this thing looks like.

Then again, if you've been ordered to get it by 1 Sep, chances are it won't be in the system until mid-next year.  ;)
 

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
244
Points
710
I am away from my postal code burning up some YFR this week...anyone check CANAIRGENs ref this?  I suspect it will look like the old MAG badge but modified with the latest command bird look.

Maybe when they are done with this they can get us some aircrew PRTs, flight suits and other stuff that is useful...I haven't even been able to get blue freaking t shirts this year. ::)
 

Lightguns

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Dimsum said:
I think you misunderstand me.  People wearing Command badges if they're in a different command than their uniform (e.g SOFCOM etc) makes sense.

Isn't SOFCOM getting a different soldier suit from the plebeians?
 

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
1,086
Points
940
Eye In The Sky said:
I haven't even been able to get blue freaking t shirts this year. ::)

"But Chief, these are all I have left!"  :nod:

front.jpg
 

Loachman

Former Army Pilot in Drag
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
451
Points
980
Lightguns said:
Isn't SOFCOM getting a different soldier suit from the plebeians?

I am not sure if that will apply to 427 Squadron, though. It may, or it may not.

A tech is a tech is a tech, and could be posted in and out in a few short years, for example. They are not changing trades. A lot of the people stay around for decades, but not all.
 

rotrhed

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Got a look at the new badge today.  It's essentially the central device of the new RCAF badge with the motto, maple leaves and crown removed, leaving the eagle's wings extending outward from the blue circle on either side.  Similar size and colour as the old Air Command chicken in a basket badge but the wings are outstretched.

Not a peep on the RCAF site nor in the CANFORGEN and CANAIRGEN.  Dist is imminent for pin up on 1 Sep 17.

 

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
244
Points
710
bigzoomie said:
Got a look at the new badge today.  It's essentially the central device of the new RCAF badge with the motto, maple leaves and crown removed, leaving the eagle's wings extending outward from the blue circle on either side.  Similar size and colour as the old Air Command chicken in a basket badge but the wings are outstretched.

Not a peep on the RCAF site nor in the CANFORGEN and CANAIRGEN.  Dist is imminent for pin up on 1 Sep 17.

Info on this was distrib via email where I hang my hat and badges will be distributed by the Sqn Exec (SCWO) once received from Supply.  No ref to a CANFORGEN/AIRGEN.  IAW the email I received, only RCAF DEU folks will were the badge;  is that normal?  I thought any DEU would wear it if they were posted to a RCAF line number.  ???

- The badge will be worn centered on the right breast pocket* of your DEU Tunic; and
- This new badge will only be worn by RCAF personnel wearing the RCAF DEU.

* The tips of the wings protruding on both sides are not likely going to get caught on things like seatbelts, etc.  ;)
 

Attachments

  • RCAF Command Badge.jpg
    RCAF Command Badge.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,479

Ostrozac

Sr. Member
Reaction score
149
Points
430
Eye In The Sky said:
- This new badge will only be worn by RCAF personnel wearing the RCAF DEU

That seems a pretty clear violation of CF Dress Regulations. Chapter 3, section 5, chapter 3 even uses the term "all or none policy". It's likely that eventually someone will crack a book and allow the many soldiers and sailors posted to RCAF units to pin on this bit of bling.

That being said, we may be reaching peak Command badge.
 

Good2Golf

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
2,018
Points
1,160
Ostrozac said:
That seems a pretty clear violation of CF Dress Regulations. Chapter 3, section 5, chapter 3 even uses the term "all or none policy". It's likely that eventually someone will crack a book and allow the many soldiers and sailors posted to RCAF units to pin on this bit of bling.

That being said, we may be reaching peak Command badge.

:rofl:

I see what you did there.  Clearly the follow on will be based on electric...little screens that will display the image-de-jour and that can be programmed centrally via SkyNet.  ;)

Regards
G2G
 
Top