• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

new recruiting policies

flip-warrior

Inactive
Reaction score
i read on the newspaper (toronto star) that since the process of recruits is taking too long, they will soon be accepting recruits who bring along a doctors note that they are fit for service, this is all being done to meet the conservatives vow to increase the armed forces by 13,000 regulars and 10,000 reserves. Any thoughts on this?, because i want enlist for reserves but i am unsure if any of the aptitude tests and physical testing has changed.

This is the link http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1155937810971

regardless, you have to be fit and healthy.
the regulations will not change that much.

I've researched this for you, i've called my RC and asked them about it - they said they have not heard this news. BUT!!, they said, to even though if it will be like this,

YOU ARE REQUIRED TO :
DO APITUTED TEST
MEDICAL & FITNESS
INTERVIEW

if you read, another article that is somewhat like that - it says that interviews will be 15min long. As right now they are about 30, and the 15 min interview will put you in a good pile or scrap pile.

anyquestions just pm me

interview is 15 min
wait is 15 min
total 30 min........

just colour me jaded

I heard they are chopping the medical at the recruiting centres and maybe the PT testing too, which could be done at basic - so there would be only a background check, interview and aptitude

PT test is a joke anyway, why do they need it?

b-man

b-man said:
I heard they are chopping the medical at the recruiting centres and maybe the PT testing too, which could be done at basic - so there would be only a background check, interview and aptitude

b-man

You heard?  You heard from where?  Please don't spread rumours.  Only report facts.

big bad john said:
You heard?  You heard from where?  Please don't spread rumours.  Only report facts.

b-man has a problem with that it would apear....... ::)

b-man said:

The PT test at the CFRC level is to ensure that candidates have a basic level of fitness suficient to undertake ( as in "begin") BMQ.  As you progress through BMQ you fitness level is supposed to increase and you are tested there as well to ensure you are meeting the new standard. Some people are not passing the PT test at the CFRC level as it is...dont waste money sending them to BMQ to fail......

You dont know enough to question everything.........

WebAddict said:
if you read, another article that is somewhat like that - it says that interviews will be 15min long. As right now they are about 30, and the 15 min interview will put you in a good pile or scrap pile.

Whoah. I guess it's very dependent on the person doing the interview and the amount of material which is provided by the person being interviewed. Mine lasted roughly 75-80 minutes. I must say though, that at one point we started discussing my traveling experiences which was likely not among the questions he had on his sheet... But I always wonder just how much information the person doing the interview can gather on your personality in only 15 minutes. To me it's seems quite hard, even for a professional to make a solid unbiased opinion on someone's personality in such a small timeframe.

Cut medicals? Notes from doctors?  :rofl: Well, after 24+ years I've seen  stranger things  happen...I just retired after doing recruit medicals for 4 years at a CFRC. I've had some people (with good initiative on their part) bring a note from their family physician stating something to the effect of " Johnny So&so has been my patient since his birth, I have completed a physical exam and found him too be physically fit, he is an avid swimmer / baseball player (what have you)...He is fit for the Canadian Forces". I do my medical history, ask 'Johnny' has he / is he on any medications right now? Little 'Johnny' says yes, pulls out for example, paxil (an antidepressant) which he has been taking for ++years, salbutomol and beclamethosone for his cold / exercise induced asthma which he has been taking since age 5 (but he is able to play any sport as long as he has a couple of puffs before the big game -  hospitalized only twice, last time being 2 months last winter because of just one bad asthmatic attack  in which he was hospitalized for a couple of days with an oxygen mask for inhaled meds). I've seen epileptics, bi polars, schizophrenics, manic depressives, 'mild' depressives (only when they experience a 'stressful' situation ,of course), one eye, one arm,  legally blind / deaf etc etc etc..Cut medicals at the CFRC & do the medical on BMQ  ::)? - wast of money, time, manpower, and voids another BMQ slot for a 'fit' individual. The problem lies with our elected  politicians who over the last 20+years have slashed / deroded / derailed / rusted out our(still) fine & well trained military to save a few dollars in the 'near' future or just before an election is called. Now some politician wants to 'fix' a gushing arterial bleed with a bandaid solution. What's the solution? I really don't know. But cutting the medicals / physicals I believe is NOT the answer. We have enough personnel on PAT - personnel awaiting training, we don't need a 'PAW' platoon / company - personnel awaiting (to go) home.
Just my rant & 2 cents.....

I recall 'picking up' a Platoon of 119 Recruits at CFRS Cornwallis and losing over twenty to bad backs, teeth, knees, previous injuries and so on.  What a waste of airfare.  PT Test?  Teaching Recruits in St-Jean in the mid ninties, they had to pass the test before going to Farnam.  The ones who failed?  Gone from the platoon - what a waste of airfare.

No thanks - keep the PT and medicals: they save money in the end.

Let's also do what the Mounties do.  Probationary contract during recruit trg.  If you fail to meet a certain level of trg by a given date FOR WHATEVER REASON, out you go.

No PAT.

No PAR.

Gone.

"An Army raised without proper regard for it's recruits was never yet made good bt the length of time."

Flavius Vegetius Renatus
Military Institutions of the Romans
circa AD 378

Let's also do what the Mounties do.  Probationary contract during recruit trg.  If you fail to meet a certain level of trg by a given date FOR WHATEVER REASON, out you go.

No PAT.

No PAR.

Gone.

Exactly, well said

My friend walked into CRFC Ottawa late may and had an offer on the table mid july. I say their doing a fine job at speeding up recruiting now that they have gone away with the 2 a year Boards to a pretty much monthly board.

Considering all the crap that my buddy has to do fro RCMP which is about a year this is quick. He had TONS of medical stuff making the CF look silly at how little they do, an initial group session on the rcmp held only certain times a year, a Poly test, aptitude test, interview, fitness test, phsych test, background check (they call up to five friends,family,old employers. EACH)... the list goes on its INSANE.

So all in all it seems like the CF could hire some real shady/wrong for the job... people aweful quick by trying to reduce the meager amount of things we need to do as it is.

My 0.02$

Remember a reserve recruit who made it thru the medical and was enrolled.....
Then they found out on the recruit course that the fella had a prosthesis for a right foot...

When I was getting sworn in this month, the recruiting center told me that the "higher ups" are trying to make it so the recruiting process is only 5 days. They also said that it mostlike couldn't be done.

don't know about the 5 days part but. faster

maybe if they can do background check at the RC, it can be faster instead of being sent of to Ottawa

b-man said:

Sadly people do fail it. So obviously there is a need... some might even say it should be harder.

'PT test is a joke anyway, why do they need it?'

Well, it may be a joke to you or me, but at the CFRC where I was at, there was a 30% + failure rate for just the 'first time trying'  basic express test: imagine if theses folks were subjected to daily PT, rifle PT, let alone Battle school and they can't  pass the CF express test?

Back