• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

new Sig Op!

bojangles

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I just got "the call" yesterday to start my career as a Sig Op. I am very excited but have to admit that it was my second choice so all this time waiting I was actually elbow deep researching info on my first choice. So...needless to say. I have a TON of questions still regarding Sig Op and the recruiting centre keeps giving me the same info pamplet and not much else. Is there anyone in the trade right now who doesn't mind me picking thier brains a whole bunch?
Also, after BMQ training, I was wondering if SQ training is conducted at the same place in St Jean or is it done at another location?

Bojangles

Hey congrats. I'm a sig op with 2 brigade in Petawawa. I have done the job here and on tour over seas so I might be able to answer your questions. Feels free to ask here or pm me.  Oh and by the way; our career manager told us just last week that SQ is being cut out so you may not wind up doing it. If you do take it then you will probably be in Borden, Meaford, or Gagetown for it.

:salute:

Canadian Sig said:
.  Oh and by the way; our career manager told us just last week that SQ is being cut out so you may not wind up doing it.

Guh? Can anyone explain the reasoning behind that?

I honestly have so many questions it's really hard to know where to start. I guess the most typically asked questions is what does a typical day consist of? Do you do alot of feild work or is mostly inside? Are you expected to have some basic knowledge of communicaitons systems, and if so, what?
I have alot of experience with cell phone service but that's about it. I worked for both Rogers AT&T and Qwest out of the states for about 7 years. I don't imagine any of this would likely be of any benefit to me but thought I'd ask.
Also, on a side note...do you see many women in this trade? I am female and just wondering.

Bojangles

Bojangles,
Well your typical day depends on what job you get assigned and also what base you get assigned to. In a Brigade we do spend a fair amount of time in the field. When we are in garrison we spend time doing maintenance on our vehicles and equipment, we also spend alot of time on PT. We are actualy also usualy getting ready for or have just come in from the field. I cant talk for Edmonton (1CMBG) but Petawawa is a very busy squadron.Our CO loves training!..lol. Dont worry about experience, the school in Kingston will tech you the basics about radio theory and the systems we use and when you finaly get to a unit we will expand on it. As for the question about females; I see one every day ( my wife is a sig op  ;D ). Seriously we do have some females in this trade, you wont be alone.  This trade is really varied, you can get into computers and IT or you can be an field type soldier. Partialy that is up to you and what paths you try to lean toward.Hope this answers a few of your questions and if you need any more info just drop me a line. This is a really cool trade so I hope you wind up liking your "second" choice..lol    :salute:

GDawg,

The problem (he says) was that SQ was being done at so many different  bases that it was'nt standardized. The idea now is to have the units/brigades handle combat type training. 2 Sigs does do patrol training at the unit level.  :cdn:

Canadian Sig said:
Hey congrats. I'm a sig op with 2 brigade in Petawawa. I have done the job here and on tour over seas so I might be able to answer your questions. Feels free to ask here or pm me.   Oh and by the way; our career manager told us just last week that SQ is being cut out so you may not wind up doing it. If you do take it then you will probably be in Borden, Meaford, or Gagetown for it.

:salute:

SQ is not cut out but going back to being part of your training before trades training.  I just came back from a military planning brief and they are going to a longer basic incorporating some of the items from the SQ course into it.  The new "SQ" course (sorry can't remember the name of it right now) will be similar to Land Environmental Training or Land Tactical Training that was taught a few years ago.  You will learn a variety of wpns and tacticts that are basic requirements for living in a land environment.  It is suppose to incorporate three vehicle BDT (basic Driver Training) as well.  We should be getting people who are actually qualified coming to the school and furthermore, to the units.

Good luck Bo and remember it is a game from here until you get to your unit.  PLAY THE GAME.  Don't let them get to you and filter out the good points and let the rest pass on out the other ear.  Good Luck.  Don't be afraid to send me an e-mail asking for more info.  I am in Kingston and have friends in the school and in most of the units across Canada.  Furthermore, I like Can Sig, have experience overseas and am regular force.

Thank You so much for your advice. I appreciate it more than you know. I am not disappointed what so every that Sig Op was my "second" choice, only disappointed with myself for not researching it as well as I could have. I still have a month to get alot of my questions answered though.
Now it makes sense to me why the recruiter told me my BMQ would start on April 26th and I would finish July 30th. It wasn't until I got off the phone that I realized that is a whole lot longer than a mere 10 weeks training. Do either of you know if it will be done consecutively following BMQ at the same site (St Jean) or if it will be conducted elsewhere?

It's nice to know there are a few women kicking around in this field as well. :)
Bojangles

Information I've heard is that they are expanding basic training in Saint-Jean from 10 weeks to 12 weeks. But I also heard it wasn't supposed to take effect until September.

P-Free said:
Information I've heard is that they are expanding basic training in Saint-Jean from 10 weeks to 12 weeks. But I also heard it wasn't supposed to take effect until September.

If you put your experience down in your profile, people will take you more serious.  Don't make things up though as some one has been there and will challenge you on it.

That being said, you are right on lengthing basic when I cannot confirm.  We were just briefed on the proposed changes and when they take effect is anyones guess.  Hopefully it will be as soon as this Sept.

Radop,
Glad to hear about the 3 vehicle BDT. We have been getting so many new guys who can't drive anything except LSVW. Pretty tough to put a guy into wide-area if he can't drive the truck!

We have guys who can only drive iltis and we have maybe 3 iltises. :crybaby:

Ok, this is probably a silly question but what does CFJSR stand for? I got the first two letters down but I keep seeing this acronym  and only know that it is a job of some sort in our trade.

Bojangles

Canadian Forces Joint Signals Regiment. Thats the unit Rad op works for in Kingston Ont.

Petawawa. It's far enough away from home but close enough to drive if I need/want to.

Bojangles

Cool. If you get posted to Pet be prepared to do lots of field time. The squadron here supports the whole brigade so we are in the field more than almost anyone on base. Rad op will attest to our tempo..lol  :dontpanic:

That's good. I am looking forward to it  ;D  Hopefully someday I get to meet all you fine folks!

Bojangles

Back