• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

new Sig Op!

I have another question that you guys may be able answer for me. After BMQ, I heard you get 5 days to a week to go home to get your affairs in order before heading to your trade training. Is this true? I would love to come back and get my baby (my motorcycle).

Bojangles

bojangles said:
Petawawa. It's far enough away from home but close enough to drive if I need/want to.

Bojangles

I commuted back and forth from Pet to Kingston for three years.  Two hours to North Bay should be a piece of cake.  And Cnd Sig is right about the field time.  We were seldom in garrison.  I was worse when I was here in Kingston with 1 CDHSR (Can Div HQ and Sigs Reg) were we deployed for 200+ days right after coming back Rwanda.

Bo. Dont know abut those days off. It sorta depends on where you are going. If you are heading to PAT platoon in Borden then who knows. I was lucky and did'nt do any real pat pltn time. I did OJT near to my home. (hint).    :dontpanic:

From what I understand so far I will be going to Kingston after BMQ for training before I am posted anywhere. Just wondering if there is a few days to come home and get some stuff.

Bojangles

It depends on how backed up CFSCE is in Kingston. If you have to wait to get on a sig-op journeyman course then they usualy send you to Borden to something called PRETC. It basicly means you sit there and wait until a spot opens up at the school. You can however ask for on the job training after your done BMQ and considering where you are from you might be able to go home for it. Either way you can probanly get a few days off.  :salute:

The back log in Kingston is well reduced from when you were awaiting trades training Cnd Sig.  Most pers are under 6 mos now and with the new system they are talking about putting into place, the wait could be for people to make up a course.  Hopefully they coord better than in the past and get soldiers through so they can come off one course and go on the next in a timely fashion.

As for the time to get stuff from North Bay, you will probably go to Borden for training.  You are then a short hop from home.  Most weekends after basic will be yours.  That being said, don't expect your weekends while in training systems.  Exercises and duties seem to be made up to ensure weekends are taken away from time to time.

As for the time off, I believe that you are not entitled until after your trades training and upon your first posting.  The rules have changed some but I still think that you must be trade qualified to get it.  The best way to find out is to talk to a RMS clerk once you get to a location after BMQ.  They should know the rules better than us lowly sig ops, lol.

I started to pack all my belongings now so that when I finally get settled wherever I am going, I can have it sent or go home and get it. Remember I am a woman....it's going to drive me nuts having only the very basics with me in St Jean. LOL! I am sure I will cope though.

Bojangles

As it stands right now you will be entitled to 5 days (including travel) after your course in Kingston. That is based on you being posted to Pet, if you posted to Edmonton it might be longer. If all your stuff is packed the military can send movers to pick it all up for you as long as you have somebody there to meet the movers. The amount of time off you get after first posting is also dependant on if you are moving into shacks (barracks) or a house/apartment. You get more time for a house/apartment.
  :cdn:

So I assume I will have to live with the basics I take with me to BMQ until I am finished my training in Kingston. I can then send for the rest of my belongings. I don't mean to beat this subject to death but if that's the case. I want to make damned sure I bring more than just 2 sets of civvie clothes with me to last me all through basic and trades training. I am living with my Dad right now so having someone to be here when movers arrive is not a problem at all.
Do you know if they will also send your vehicles/motorcycle?

Bojangles

They will ship your vehicles for you. What I would suggest as far as clothes for Kingston is this: take 2 or 3 sets to St.Jean but set aside some more in a place where your dad can access them and then have them sent to you after BMQ. You have way more personal room in Borden/Kingston than you do in St. jean and you will have way more need or civvie clothes after BMQ.  :cdn:

Thanks again for the advice. I hate that I worry about the little things but they keep me up at night. LOL!

Bojangles

No problem. By second or third week of BMQ you will be way too "numbed" to worry about anything anymore..lol

Canadian Sigs,

Aren't you still worried about the numbers?  Roto 0, Roto 4, etc, lol.  Or maybe $46 000, $54 000 or higher.

Still looking forward to tour #4 for myself.

H*ll Radop I'm not worried , being here I know I'm gonna go.lol. Just gotta wait for number 2. Finally got our medals the other day by the way. (and dont forget Me and the wife get to double that $ )  :salute:

A private 3 would make close to $3500 in regular pay ( no taxes over there ) and around $2000 a month in foreign service premiums ( depending on risk assesment and number of tours ect)

I am still waiting to get my medal. ???  I hope to get it before I end up back there. lol

Remember that the "UN" pay is based on about 6 different factors of which foreign service premium and danger incentives are two of the biggest.  I will get about 2500 for the next tour if I go back there.

Hey,

Maybe slightly off topic, just wondering what that group that (might?) be going over in July. A detachment of some sort, I know a few friends on a 3's course that might be going over on that. First tour literally weeks after grad from 3's. WOO!

Borden - Make sure you spend the LEAST amount of time there if you do end up going there. I was there for seven very painful months. PRETC is ...well..a joke.

Meaford is a fun place to do SQ :)

Jason

Geez Rad Op, youre either bucking for promo, or pay raise. (lol)
It's nice to see some one is still eager!  Wish I would have had the chances you younger generation have.  Never did get a posting I wanted.  Good luck!  Ass down, heads up.
cheers

Back