• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Surrey police officer arrested by RCMP, may face breach of trust charge

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's one way to get national attention for your new Police service....

New Surrey police officer arrested by RCMP, may face breach of trust charge​

A member of Surrey’s new municipal police force was arrested by the RCMP on Tuesday, as a criminal investigation proceeds.

70c8fc80

A breach of trust charge has not yet been laid by the BC Prosecution Service, however, so the officer’s identity has not been released, the Surrey Police Service said in a Wednesday statement.

“SPS has chosen to release this information now in the interest of transparency,” reads the statement. “SPS has notified the Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner about the incident.”

The officer, who has been released on conditions, was hired by the Surrey Police Service in May with a little more than a year of previous policing experience.

He was suspended with pay on Wednesday pending the outcome of the criminal investigation handled by the Mounties. Global News has reached out to the Surrey Police Service for comment on this story.

According to the Criminal Code of Canada, breach of trust involves an act — or failure to — that is not authorized by law or the trust placed in the trustee, and includes an intent to defraud. A conviction could result in a maximum of 14 years behind bars.

I’m hoping the investigating officer(s) took the time to sit down & chat with the guy informally, before deciding whether or not they should proceed further, and thus laid the charge.

Not knowing the details makes it tough to say much tho

Very sad...

Off-duty Surrey police officer dies in incident at Langley gun range​

An off-duty police officer from Surrey died from a self-inflicted injury in an incident at a North Langley gun range on Wednesday.
The Independent Investigations Office (IIO) confirmed on Wednesday afternoon that it has launched an investigation into the incident.

According to an IIO statement, police officers arrived at the scene on 201st Street, attempting to locate a man in distress. The site of the incident appears to have been The Range, a Langley indoor gun range.

“The man, who was identified as an off-duty member of the Surrey Police Service, sustained a serious injury that appears to have been self-inflicted while police were in the building,” said the IIO statement. “The man was subsequently pronounced deceased.”

Multiple Langley RCMP, fire, and ambulance vehicles converged on the area around 201st Street and 98th Avenue in Walnut Grove shortly after 1 p.m.

There were at least eight RCMP vehicles, two fire trucks, and an ambulance on scene by 1:40 p.m., and 201st Street was temporarily closed.
Langley RCMP Cpl. Craig Van Herk confirmed they were investigating reports of a distraught man at The Range.

The watch he was a part of was working today, of which I am a part. It has been a very, very bad day.
hard day indeed, when a copper in trouble feels this is the only way out. thinking of the surviving friends and family.....

Texts with 15-year-old girl at centre of early investigation into Surrey, B.C. police officer before his death

Yeah so not at all what I expected from him. He was a member of the same PRes unit as I am, a watch mate when he was a Mountie and had been assigned by SPS to my same watch and district when he was pulled from duty.
I had a very close team mate that I spent a lot of time with working together doing everything. He was axed from the force with things involving teen girls.

I was shocked at how it wasn’t the guy I knew. Life be like that my guy. Who knows the hearts of men 🤷‍♀️

Back