• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NEW US Army Combat Uniform (ACU) debuts monday

I heard there were studies done that Gray is the most...unobstrusive colour, so it blends in well wit its surrounding because of contrast.

That's why its sort of Gray.

I wonder why the Army turned down this cammy pattern (see link) for the acu, it looks a lot better, is multi-environmental and came out #1 is tests. www.militarymorons.com/gear/crye1.html    seems like they wanted the digital pattern way too bad... you can also go to www.multicampattern.com ,or www.cryeprecision.com for more refences......every soldier a rifleman....hmmm

Fifteen years is a long time though, especially considering the world climate these days.  I hate to say it, but I think CADPAT, MARPAT, and the new US Army ACU are going to be seeing a lot of operational use in the next fifteen years.

"its likely that the ACU is only an interim uniform.  I believe it will change when the Future warrior comes on line in about 15 yrs."

Interim after only 15 years of service... what would you call long term?  Older BDU is only 20 plus years old... is that interim too.

SFontaine said:
How? They adapted a digital pattern? I don't see the Army replying to small arms fire with tactical nukes yet. The Marine Corps seems good enough at doing that so far.

Marine Corps response to one guy with an AK:
:mg:  
:cam:  
:rocket:  
:akimbo:
 :gunner:  
:flame:

And the Army response:
:sniper:

Army of One....I guess that's what PFC Lynch thought too...

A bit insensitive dont you think Marine, regarding PFC Lynch ? According to the official report the vehicle she was riding in was taken out by enemy fire [RPG]. She was unconscious when she was captured. She was lucky to have survived that ambush and subsequent captivity. The Army doesnt have any trouble laying down surpressing fire.

Water under the bridge...

I saw the ACU on the pentagon channel(AFFES)... it came as quite a shock to me. It had kind of a orange tint. Maybe it was just the lighting. I think it would make a great urban camouflage....but never in the woods...possibly in the desert...
Here's a quick pic...

Well, I saw the uniform in person two weeks ago (on a 2 star and his Sgt Maj, no less) and have to agree with Marine.  It looks like a very faded version of CADPAT - very grey and even the greens are washed out.  In an urban setting, I should think it would be very effective.  I'm not so sure about temperate forest as the pattern strikes me as too light in colour.  Love the shoulder pockets though; as Bossi points out, they're perfect when wearing a vest...

Hopefully the Army only does missions in urban environments from now on, I think some commanders might just tell everyone to wear the Analog woodlands if we go to Korea, or China. (might be unlikey...but) For house to house in Iraq the ACU will do. it seems a little too urban than multi environmental as the Army claims. I hope they don't have to raid any town from the woods in the future...I mean there are ops in Japan, Korea, and all over where there is no desert and is no urban grays. Maybe a reversible uniform would of been a better choice. One side for woodland and the other for desert....

On a side note, The green flak jackets that are issued in Iraq can easily be camouflage either by throwing some dirt on them, wearing them for a week, or putting the desert cover over them. Most of them are being replaced by the coyote gear anyway.

Fulda Gap...LOL ...Too true.

Seriously, I think the pattern would be decent for urban ops, winter, or even desert terrain (its light enough to blend in with a sandy background).  I never got to see the 2 star lurking about at night (thank God!), so am not sure how effective the pattern is in the dark (CADPAT with the black is very effective).  At first glance, it seems very light indeed.  Time will tell, I suppose.

Cheers,

Back