• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Zealand to buy Boeing P-8 patrol planes

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
I'm no expert here, but I'm counting 4 of the 5 Eyes countries switching to the same patrol aircraft...

WELLINGTON (Reuters) - New Zealand has agreed to buy four Boeing P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol planes, Defence Minister Ron Mark said on Monday, strengthening surveillance capabilities as it works to counter the rise of new powers, such as China.

New Zealand is responsible for patrol and rescue missions in an area of the Pacific Ocean bigger than Europe and plans to step up its engagement in the South Pacific, where it is losing sway over small island nations to China.

Mark said the aircraft were acquired from the United States through its foreign military sales program and would cost NZ$2.34 billion ($1.6 billion), including training costs. They would be operational in 2023.

New Zealand’s military had been looking to replace its aging P-3 Orion fleet, and the upgrade pulls it in line with the capabilities of its Five Eyes intelligence-sharing partners - Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-newzealand-defence-procurement/new-zealand-to-buy-boeing-p-8-patrol-planes-to-boost-south-pacific-surveillance-idUSKBN1JZ07J

When they come out with the aircraft after the P-8, then we'll start the 10 year project to buy the P-8.

PuckChaser said:
When they come out with the aircraft after the P-8, then we'll start the 10 year project to buy the P-8.

Incorrect.  We'll buy 4 ex-RNZAF P-3s and convert them to Block 18 Auroras.  :facepalm:

You are all wrong. We'll get out of the MPA business because they'll be declared a cold war relic!

FSTO said:
You are all wrong. We'll get out of the MPA business because they'll be declared a cold war relic!

Hey, it worked out so well for the Brits! 

Right?    ::)

Dimsum said:
I'm no expert here, but I'm counting 4 of the 5 Eyes countries switching to the same patrol aircraft...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-newzealand-defence-procurement/new-zealand-to-buy-boeing-p-8-patrol-planes-to-boost-south-pacific-surveillance-idUSKBN1JZ07J

Unlike fast jets? Oh, wait, no  :facepalm:

daftandbarmy said:
Unlike fast jets? Oh, wait, no  :facepalm:

Well, NZ doesn't have fast jets anymore and needs Australia to defend it...

Never mind - I don't want to give any Good Idea Fairies anything to latch onto.  :nod:

Block 18.  Don't be silly...we'll never get funding for that! 

And if we did, it would be 'new windshield wipers' or something...

Back