• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NHL 2011/2012 - Now "The Lockout" Thread

What team are you cheering for this year?

• Toronto Maple Leafs

Votes: 37 27.6%
  • Montreal Canadiens

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • Ottawa Senators

Votes: 11 8.2%
  • Winnipeg Jets

Votes: 16 11.9%
  • Calgary Flames

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Edmonton Oilers

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • Vancouver Canucks

Votes: 22 16.4%
  • New Jersey Devils

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New York Islanders

• New York Rangers

• Philadelphia Flyers

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Pittsburgh Penguins

• Boston Bruins

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Buffalo Sabres

• Carolina Hurricanes

• Florida Panthers

• Tampa Bay Lightning

• Washington Capitals

• Chicago Blackhawks

• Columbus Blue Jackets

• Detroit Red Wings

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Nashville Predators

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • St. Louis Blues

• Colorado Avalanche

• Minnesota Wild

• Anaheim Ducks

• Dallas Stars

• Los Angeles Kings

• Phoenix Coyotes

• San Jose Sharks

• Total voters
I'm sorry leaf fans to bring this horrid news...

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/sports/nhl/story/2011/12/21/sp-bieber-leafs.html

Justin Bieber straps on skates with Maple Leafs

Pop star's backhand no match for Gustavsson The Canadian Press

Posted: Dec 21, 2011 5:08 PM ET Last Updated: Dec 21, 2011 5:38 PM ET

First Michael Bublé, now Justin Bieber.

One day after Bublé took the ice with the Vancouver Canucks, Bieber did the same with the Toronto Maple Leafs at Air Canada Centre on Wednesday.

The 17-year-old Canadian pop phenom skated with Leafs players Dion Phaneuf, Jake Gardiner, Jonas Gustavsson and Tyler Bozak before taping his Christmas special at Toronto's Massey Hall Wednesday evening.

Unlike Bublé, Bieber didn't wear full equipment. He sported a tuque and Leafs track suit and took shots on Gustavsson.

Bieber has spent time around a number of sports teams during his travels. He joined a training session with Spanish football club Barcelona in April.

CTV said the skate was part of Bieber's Christmas special, and added that the singer had also stopped at a local food bank.

FlyingDutchman said:
I'm sorry leaf fans to bring this horrid news...

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/sports/nhl/story/2011/12/21/sp-bieber-leafs.html

jesus-wept-300x225.jpg

:facepalm:

So to throw in the debate... With Crosby calling in sick and the hit on Ryan Miller.  What are the opinions on rougness and headshots?  As for goalies. I believe once they're out of the crease they should be fair game as a skater.

Fair game to a point. A goalie can't move or protect himself as well as a player can. Crosby didn't rush back, he's just a victim of bad luck. Hope he can heal up and come back healthy this year or next.

PuckChaser said:
Fair game to a point. A goalie can't move or protect himself as well as a player can. Crosby didn't rush back, he's just a victim of bad luck. Hope he can heal up and come back healthy this year or next.

Crosby needs to learn how to keep his head up, and be more aware of where he is on the ice and stop skating into other players.

Pugsley said:
So to throw in the debate... With Crosby calling in sick and the hit on Ryan Miller.  What are the opinions on rougness and headshots?  As for goalies. I believe once they're out of the crease they should be fair game as a skater.

I read an article recently that had the basic premise that because the game has gotten faster, we're seeing the result now in a significant portion of the concussion injuries. But the interesting spin was that a lot of the blame falls on the rule changes brought in after the lockout in the name of increasing the flow of the game, such as eliminating the two line pass, bringing in the trapezoid, and expanding the amount of stick and obstruction calls.

As for goalies being fair game, I agree that a certain amount of contact should be allowed outside the crease, but intentionally running them over should be called every time. However, the goalies also need to be aware of the play and the players as well.

cupper said:
As for goalies being fair game, I agree that a certain amount of contact should be allowed outside the crease, but intentionally running them over should be called every time. However, the goalies also need to be aware of the play and the players as well.

Fair opinion.  Just to clarify though, I didn't believe that a goalie out of the crease means he's a free target, but more that the rules fall as if he was a forward or defenceman.  Running them over to injure them is a penalty as well.  For example, I don't see a legitimate penalty of goalie interference if the goalie is up at the blue line.

What a doozie of a rematch between the Canucks and the Bruins.  It had everything; line brawl, penalty shot, great special teams, great saves, special team dominance.  I thought the game was reffed well; Boston has probably the best total-hockey team in the League right now, but when they play dirty hockey, it takes away from what they can really do.

As a result, the Canucks finally made the Bruins pay with 4 PPGs (more than they scored the entire 2011 SCF series) and won.

Go Canucks Go!  ;D

Boston is effing scary right now. Much better as a team than they were last year. I don't buy into too many stats, but take a look at the difference between their goals for and goals against: it's at +68. The next closest is Detroit with +39. That's one hell of a spread.

Infanteer's right, dirty hockey takes away from their game, but when they can skirt the line between edgy and dirty they are a force, IMO.

I'm not a Boston fan but I think they are definite Cup favourites when last year they were middle of a pack.

Go Ducks.......

A solid goals for and goals against difference of -34 and a grand total of 3 road wins.

Definitely a contender for the Cup! Watch out Boston!

Gonna be interesting if the Ducks start selling off big name players for prospects and draft pics near the trade deadline. Getzlaf, Bobby Ryan, etc could all be on the market for the right mix of players, albeit it'll be an expensive trade.

Another Presidents Trophy for the Canucks.  Next up is Stanley's mug.

I'm actually rooting for Boston in the east (sorry Ottawa) - a 7 game rematch in the final would be epic (and likely result in body bags).

Infanteer said:
I'm actually rooting for Boston in the east (sorry Ottawa) - a 7 game rematch in the final would be epic (and likely result in body bags).

Canuck body bags. They won't have the heart for a 7-game grind series just like last year.

Different team - we have some very physical players now that can put Marchand down when he gets up to his usual tricks.  It'd be a grinder like that game in January x 7.

Not as many as Boston has. Marchand is just the tip of the iceberg, he's a skill player with an Avery-esque streak to get under your skin. Boston has skill players with size that can dominate the play. Vancouver just doesn't have it, President's trophy or not, I don't see them making it out of the Conference Finals.

We'll just have to see - with Tim Thomas back to mere mortal level play, Boston may not even make it past Washington.  I guess we can save the trash talking for June....

Back