• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NHL 2011/2012 - Now "The Lockout" Thread

What team are you cheering for this year?

• Toronto Maple Leafs

Votes: 37 27.6%
  • Montreal Canadiens

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • Ottawa Senators

Votes: 11 8.2%
  • Winnipeg Jets

Votes: 16 11.9%
  • Calgary Flames

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Edmonton Oilers

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • Vancouver Canucks

Votes: 22 16.4%
  • New Jersey Devils

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New York Islanders

• New York Rangers

• Philadelphia Flyers

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Pittsburgh Penguins

• Boston Bruins

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Buffalo Sabres

• Carolina Hurricanes

• Florida Panthers

• Tampa Bay Lightning

• Washington Capitals

• Chicago Blackhawks

• Columbus Blue Jackets

• Detroit Red Wings

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Nashville Predators

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • St. Louis Blues

• Colorado Avalanche

• Minnesota Wild

• Anaheim Ducks

• Dallas Stars

• Los Angeles Kings

• Phoenix Coyotes

• San Jose Sharks

• Total voters
I hate to burst your bubble, but anyone who's even paid the sigh test attention to the NHL the last few years knows that Washington is always ready to implode this time of year. And this year, at a -8 on GF/GA, when the only other team in the playoffs in the negative is Florida...well...They're going against a goalie who has proven to be beatable only with a gun from April to June, so I don't hold much hope for them. I am not saying that the Caps can't surprise anyone but I do not think they have as much goaltending, defence, offence and nastiness.

Elsewhere:
The Rangers aren't going to break much of a sweat against the Senators.

New Jersey walks all over Florida and proves yet again that the way they seed teams is stupid. I don't exactly [imind[/i] the current setup in the way that ir produced match ups for this year but I think it could be more fair.

Pittsburgh and Philly is the one that will be a war (more than Boston/Washington) and IF the Penguins come out of that series they might just get taken out in the next, especially if they are facing Boston, due to being physically beat up/defence hurting. If Philly makes it out of that one then I think all bets are off.

I don't watch enough of the Western conference to be able to offer up much...but two President's trophies in a row is nothing to sneeze at with the Canucks. Plus I think they're starting to click even more. But Luongo is always a wild card for me.

St. Louis has the best goaltending in the league from a pure TGA standpoint (surpassingly, so does LA) and every year seems to prove that the guy between the pipes can steal a tough series and give the rest motivation. They're playing San Jose, the Washington of the West.

I think Nashville/Detroit has the makings of a great future rivalry and could go 7, easily.

Chicago/Phoenix - I never vote for Phoenix, on anything.

Infanteer said:
Another Presidents Trophy for the Canucks.  Next up is Stanley's mug.

If they go with Schneider will they make it to the finals, only to lose to the Bruins again! 8)

Why isn't anyone picking the Leafs to win...

......the Draft Lottery?  ;D

Scott said:
I hate to burst your bubble, but anyone who's even paid the sigh test attention to the NHL the last few years knows that Washington is always ready to implode this time of year.

Scott, I hate to burst YOUR bubble ....

Yeah, I got nothin'. :-\

I'm just hoping that this year they go further than the past 4 years, based on the fact that they had to work for every point they earned.

cupper,

It has never hurt my feelings to see them get run from the playoffs on a rail. However, Ovie has seemed much more mellow this year and so I can relent just a little bit* and allow that they did earn their place. I just don't think you ought to put anything into hock to bet on them.

*Crosby's recent BS has made him more of a target for my disdain. Say what you want about Don Cherry but he had it right about the guy for a long time. I am growing tired of that type of play from anyone, let alone one of the most prominent faces of the game. I am also pretty pissed off at the two faced approach the NHL has adopted - Mario threatens to leave the league, threatens to move the team to KC, and what does he get? Nothing. John Torterella (I am no fan of his) has some choice words about the "favourite son" and he gets fined? WTF? Then, Mike Milbury (I tolerate him slightly more than Torts) has a retraction coerced from him {I am supposing this is what happened} Pittsburgh HAS developed into one of the single dirtiest teams in the NHL, because of the NHL.

Now I have to find out if I can get some TV updates when in Cuba in two weeks. I know it's near sacrilege to watch TV while vacationing, but I don't think there's anything wrong with, perhaps, trying to catch the late game(s)

Dou You said:
Why isn't anyone picking the Leafs to win...

......the Draft Lottery?  ;D

I saw Kessel, Bozak, Komisarek and Phaneuf playing yesterday, and they were looking pretty good. 

Four perfect drives off the first tee at Royal Montreal Golf Club.  ;D

Occam said:
I saw Kessel, Bozak, Komisarek and Phaneuf playing yesterday, and they were looking pretty good. 

Four perfect drives off the first tee at Royal Montreal Golf Club.  ;D

I'm quite surprised that none of the players you mentioned won the Masters this weekend. They have just had so much practice over the last few years...

Scott said:
cupper,

It has never hurt my feelings to see them get run from the playoffs on a rail. However, Ovie has seemed much more mellow this year and so I can relent just a little bit* and allow that they did earn their place. I just don't think you ought to put anything into hock to bet on them.

*Crosby's recent BS has made him more of a target for my disdain. Say what you want about Don Cherry but he had it right about the guy for a long time. I am growing tired of that type of play from anyone, let alone one of the most prominent faces of the game. I am also pretty pissed off at the two faced approach the NHL has adopted - Mario threatens to leave the league, threatens to move the team to KC, and what does he get? Nothing. John Torterella (I am no fan of his) has some choice words about the "favourite son" and he gets fined? WTF? Then, Mike Milbury (I tolerate him slightly more than Torts) has a retraction coerced from him {I am supposing this is what happened} Pittsburgh HAS developed into one of the single dirtiest teams in the NHL, because of the NHL.

Now I have to find out if I can get some TV updates when in Cuba in two weeks. I know it's near sacrilege to watch TV while vacationing, but I don't think there's anything wrong with, perhaps, trying to catch the late game(s)

I agree with you on the whole Crosby issue. But I'm rather biased in some people's mind since I am a Cap's fan in living in Washington. But having seen him as a player in midget and atom level, and watched him in the QMJHL I had developed my opinion of him long before I was living in DC.

And I have to agree that the NHL does make their own problem by treating him as the blessed one. There wasn't much uproar when Savard was concussed the first time. But Crosby gets nailed, and all hell breaks loose and the league turns itself inside out to make itself look like it's doing something about it. And how was the Lindros era any different.

As for the Cap's playoff history, believe me it's frustrating having watched all 82 games each season, only to watch them die by their own making i early in the playoffs. And there is really no explanation for why, except "They weren't ready or mature enough". Well it's been 4 years, now going into the 5th. Can't use that one this time.

It's too bad that the goaltending could be a problem, but having watched Holtby over the past couple of years, he does have the potential to be a Dryden, Roy or Ward and surprise everyone.

I'm looking at Lacrosse season now.  Peterborough Lakers for the Mann Cup!!! :golf-cart:

Go Vancouver!

Many of the current Canucks were Moose at one time. And lets remember it takes a team to win the Cup, not just the goalie.

As for the Sid the Kid situation, say what you like. He was mugged by that rookie who tore his helmet off - no call. Sid retaliates - no call. Punk rookie cross checks the Kid in the back - that is when the Penguin equivalent of a Dave Semenko needed to drop the gloves and pummel the rookie into submission.

Who created the mess? The NHL and its spotty on again off again officiating.  I am not saying skill players get a free ride but the BS I see on the ice sometimes makes me curse at the TV.

Until they teach the seeing eye dogs to skate, we're stuck with crap officiating. :nod:

Scott said:
two President's trophies in a row is nothing to sneeze at with the Canucks. Plus I think they're starting to click even more. But Luongo is always a wild card for me.

Agreed - until we know on any given night whether Lu is "on" or "off", it's hard to predict how far that team will go.  Kind of like the Jays with their closers.

It'd be great to see more Canadian teams in the playoffs - but I'm so thrilled to have the Jets back, nothing else matters much.  Go Jets!!! 

Again, a bad call mars a game. Briere was so far offside a sniper couldn't have hit him.

I never heard what the explanation from the NHL was. If I was Pittsburgh management I'd lobby hard to make sure that crew doesn't officiate another game in this series.

Jim Seggie said:
Again, a bad call mars a game. Briere was so far offside a sniper couldn't have hit him.

I never heard what the explanation from the NHL was. If I was Pittsburgh management I'd lobby hard to make sure that crew doesn't officiate another game in this series.

I'm pretty sure it would just be, "missed call". Just because it went against the Pens does not a conspiracy make. There were other blown calls last night as well as there being makeup calls - it happens.

I'll give it a few games before I start in on officiating. I'd sacrifice the odd blown call to get rid of inconsistency.

In all my (few) years, I have very very seldom seen linesman blow an offside call. In fact, you may notice that in about 99% of the close cases where the HNIC crew is unsure and looks at the replay in slowmo, it was the linesman that was right (the same can not be said for the referees).

The real mistake of that poor linesman was getting caught off position. He jumped the gun going for the red line before the last opposing team player had retreated past it. They are supposed to be on their blue line, unless they are supporting the opposing lineman for a face off or running down an icing call. In the playoffs or during games with more "intensity", they cheat towards the end where the play is and go near the red line so as to be able to quickly get in if some post-whistle activity occurs. But they should not cheat that way while the opposing team still has players behind them. Look at the replay and you will see that in this case he was a third of the way between the blue and red lines when he made his call - had he been on, he would have whistled the play dead.

So overall, IMO we should lay off the linesman unless bad calls become a habit.

It's looking like the Washington / Boston series if going to be a tough low-scoring one. I've been very impressed with the solid goal tending from Holtby. He still has to pick his times to be aggressive better, but all in all, he's played up to expectations.

Philly / Pittsburgh is turning out not to be the blood fest I was expecting. And the Pens are struggling. Perhaps they need to stop listening to the media hype and start playing like they want to win.

Ottawa / NY is the blood fest that I was expecting in Philly / Pittsburgh. And Ottawa seems to have found the game that they had with the Rangers through the regular season.

And true to form, the officiating is playing it's part.

Shea Weber should have been sat for minimum two games. Ramming your opponents head into th glass is crap.

The muay thai elbow that guy (Burns?) threw should be minimum two.

Now the Phoenix goalie was run....hit to the head by Shaw. The right call was made....five and an early shower.

The NHL really should drop the instigator rule....

Shea Webber got what he deserved for the incident, IMO. Don Cherry did a great breakdown on why Webber did what he did, and the poor little Wing wasn't hurt from the incident (and if Webber were suspended for his actions then you'd have to imagine at least a fine for the hit) I think it's much ado about nothing, Jim. It's the playoffs.

The instigator rule should go. That will not change the fact that one dimensional fighters no longer have a place in the game but it will ensure that some of the antics are not gotten away with.

Pittsburgh just might be done. Hello the new version of the Caps. And I won't shed a tear what with the chief whiner of the league being in their employ. Before I'm attacks for that, I like Sidney Crosby. I am a fan. If he left some of the BS out of his game I'd be fine with him. But he hasn't, even after he swore off of it when he returned.

Washington has some game and I think the series is going to get more nasty. I am also thinking we're going to see one of those marathon OT games like the Caps/Flyers of the 80s and 90s. How does Milan Lucic look like there is not a helmet made that's big enough for him? ;D Caps goalie is impressive. Someone please piledrive Brad Marchand, I am getting sick of him.

It's a human game and so calls are always going to be missed.

Back