• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NIPPLE BURN WHILE RUNNING!!!!

hoote

Inactive
Reaction score
ohhhh so painful.  For the first time in 1.5 yrs I got it.  I had on a tighter heavier shirt which got all sweaty while I ran a 10k.  All the friction rubbed'em raw.  Any way of avoiding this?  Bandaids?  Body glide?  I wont' use that shirt again but just incase I run into this problem in the military, some advice would be great! 

I use Body Glide religiously, and I read somewhere never to wear cotton (the salt in your sweat is what actually does the "cutting" of your skin) and cotton is bad for retaining sweat. I haven't worn cotton t-shirts for running in better than 2 years (CoolMax, DriFit, etc for me), but a poor quality Coolmax shirt (rough on the inside) can be far worse than cotton, believe you me.

If you have a Running Room, or the like, you can actually buy "nipple protectors", which are just glorified pieces of tape, it looks like.

Body GLide is good as well if you get blisters, or chafing in your nether regions (just don't ask me to apply it......)

Al

Oooooooooooohhh, hypno tassels!! I can help the guys quit smoking!!

Do they also come in CADPAT?

I think the advantage of the nipple tassles would be if you got them in the fibre-optic lighting package (not shown, but no doubt on somebody's drawing board), you could act as points-man/woman/person, and not have to carry a flashlight. I suppose you would have to say "What are YOU looking at?!?!?!!" to everybody as they run the other way, though.......

Al

My Mom is a marathon runner; I’ve seen many people bleeding at the finish line. For women they need a really good sports bra and Vaseline, I’ve seen guys use band-aids (bad idea - Can fall off), duct-tape (worse idea - rash) and Vaseline (good idea).  Personally I use a nice undershirt – made of that stretchy stuff, that dries extremely quickly but I have never run more than 5km.  I’ve heard nothing but good things about the ‘Nipple Guards’.

I've had my nipples bleed while trg for Mountain Man, I just put band-aids on 'em - problem solved!

From personal experience of having cracked and bleeding nipples(from nursing my kids) there is a great product out there called Lansinoh. It is made for breast feeding mothers, but works great for healing any sort of nipple issue. It relieves pain and allows the wounds to heal much faster without forming a scab.

To prevent future nipple issues, use some vaseline and apply it over the nipple and areola(the circle around your nipple). And try wearing an undershirt to prevent the t-shirt from sticking to your nipples.

If it does not heal within a a couple weeks, go in to see your doctor about a possible infection.

Hope this helps.

I have ran Marathons and competitive cross country during University and found that the bandaids which are made from material (not plastic) work very well because they are a bit more sticky.  I use to wear them in a + formation over each nipple for any distance greater than 10 miles.

Hope this helps................If you wear the cheap bandaids, they will fall off after a short period of time.

its official...I have bleeding nipples...which is embarassing when in gym...too my opinion...I will try those suggestion...it huuuurts badly... :(

It's official: I'm disgusted by all this bleeding nipple talk.  My wife's bled due to razor-like teeth spouting out of our wee one when she was still breast feeding.  She'd call you all "panzies" or "panzers" or whatever  ;D

I've heard <a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=-Co9uuoH3xk">THIS</a> product helps  ;D

Seriously though, I have had this problem in the past. Any type of non irritating tape works well (Duct Tape).

2x2 gauze attached with medical tape or bandaids before you run.

Allan Luomala said:
I use Body Glide religiously, and I read somewhere never to wear cotton (the salt in your sweat is what actually does the "cutting" of your skin) and cotton is bad for retaining sweat. I haven't worn cotton t-shirts for running in better than 2 years (CoolMax, DriFit, etc for me), but a poor quality Coolmax shirt (rough on the inside) can be far worse than cotton, believe you me.

Body GLide is good as well if you get blisters, or chafing in your nether regions (just don't ask me to apply it......)

Body Glide + DriFit (or similar) = Money (I've done marathons, Ironmans, etc., so I've tried them all)  ... Band-Aids work, but make you look like a dork, esp. in a white shirt ... Body Glide also is great for preventing wetsuit rash ... available at most running & triathlon stoires, incl. Running Room.

Back