• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No bikes in winter at 17 Wing because of THIS? Please, tell me its not true!

" Canada has a way to go."

Hopefully, tonight it takes a first step.

;D

Tom

Hopefully, tonight it takes a first step.

Hey Tom,

I don't want to get posted to Iqaluit.  Seen the place, and got the T-shirt!  Winter biking's gotta be friggin' hard up there ..... ;)

Frank

Ahhh Frank, you are forgetting your roots!

Besides, I like Iqualuit.

Tom

Ahhh Thomas ....

You know what?  I really like the place too, being an advanced-winter-warfare qualified instructor!  Maybe that explains why I like biking in the friggin' winter?  I actually met a person (civvy) in Pangnirtung from Thunder Bay.  How cool is that!?  I meet quite a few Thunder Bay types in my travels in the military.  I still LOVE the shot of you in the pool in Kandahar in 2002.  That was f*cking class! ;)

Frank

My wife sent me that for father's day.  Liza sent it fully accessorized, with a beach ball and pool cover. My Coyote Gunner Rich, - one of the hardest working, well organized and common-sense bearing soldiers I have ever met - liased with the echelon a few days ahead for the water, and added bleach to it (chlorine), and exchanged two Jerry Cans of water in it daily.  When we rotated out of OP SW, the patrol that rotated in declined the invitation to maintain it (it wasn't their idea I guess), and it fell into disrepair.

I sent the film back to Liza, and she brought in the photos to da Regiment (as was her SOP), and the photo spread like wildfire.

It came to pass that some of those  LOB in Canada siezed on the photo as evidence that they had it much harder in Canada than we did in Kandahar.

Fine, if they thought like that for real, they were too stupid to deploy with us anyhow.

Hi-jack ends.

;)

Tom

That statement just doesn't apply to winter cyclist's.  They, like the bike courier who wrote the letter to the editor, are probably THE MOST experienced biker's you will find out here.  Why is it PERFECTLY LEGAL to ride a bike on city streets in the winter, but not on a Base?  Give us a break.  I've driven a bike in most major cities in Canada, around  Europe, and New York City too.  One of the mosty bike-friendly cities I found was Minneapolis.  I also like the European concept of banning cars entirely from the downtown core.  How cool is that, eh!? Canada has a way to go.   

You'll notice that what i put in brackets, supports your statement, unless you were supporting my statement, in which case...that's very supportive What the!?? Yes, in my experience most people that ride in the winter are of course, very switched on in regards to proper gear, riding techniques, courtesy's etc.

also, now that i see the name, you do good work, i have had the CC website bookmarked for quite some time!

keep the rubber side down,

PV

Thanks PV,

That is very nice of you to say that!  I'm thinking we're on the same side ...... ;)

Frank

cool idea about the flag.  I must say, there are alot of bikers who use the grass to go around people here, I also walk a fair amount and get passed by bikers, most people here don't bike in the winter so I don't get passed often in snowy stretches.,  I actually think our country should be more like the netherlands with respect to bike paths etc, my family is from there and I am told of skating up the canals and biking on the paths - and alot of people commute this way.  I just wish the minipaved sections on the side of the road were slopped so you could easily go up curbs, if they were in the summer they would be ideal.   

I used to ride to work every day until we got posted to 17 Wing.  We got posted in November and once I got here, I just got out of the habit and got lazy basically.  I figure I do PT every day so that keeps me in shape.  If I wasn't doing PT every day though I would seriously be biking as often as I could.  One thing I can't stand is being out of shape.  I believe it's a disgrace to the uniform for a CF member to be out of shape.

The Ice Bike festival/race was just on here in Winnipeg a few weeks ago, unfortunately I was on the east coast at the time.  Hope to catch it next year, it sounds like a blast.  I do agree there needs to be more bike lanes.  I wonder if once the cost of a litre of gasoline hits $5/litre people will start warming up to the idea of biking, walking, busing to work.  That or switch over to alternate fuel sources.  But with Canada's overall poor level of fitness, I pray gas goes WAY up and those dusty old bikes come out of the garage. :)

Cpl4Life

PS thanks for the info. on self studding your tires with #8 screws combatcamera - sounds like next weekends project for me

Back