• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No bikes in winter at 17 Wing because of THIS? Please, tell me its not true!

Cpl4Life

Inactive
Reaction score
I can see obvious bias in the bike couriers comments; what I am trying to find out if does anyone know if this is the true cause of no bikes in the winter at 17 Wing?  I'm going to check up on this, could be the guard was mistaken (not saying he/she was, but I'm not going to believe everything I hear from one employee).  I am interested in finding out if this is the true cause (mind you if it was, I'm sure some other "safety" reason could be dreamt up to hide the real cause).  Anyone here know anything about this?

Thanks,
Cpl4Life

"I had a call to pick up an envelope at the 17th wing airbase at the end of Whytewold on a particularly windy day. (this is all the more noticeable on a single speed) I rode there into a stiff north wind, only to be informed at the gate that I couldn't enter the base on my bicycle. Apparently, bikes are allowed in the summer but not during the winter months. It seems that some overblown general got caught behind a cyclist in his oversized gas guzzling SUV and couldn't get by immediately due to the roads being somewhat narrower because of the snow. Obviously flushed with his own power, he immediately decreed that bicycles were banned during the winter. Not very enlightened to say the least. This is the same government preaching the one ton challenge. I'd love to meet this guy as he seems like a real piece of work. I'm sure we'd have absolutely nothing in common but I'd like to try and understand the mentality that could come up with a ruling like that. I guess that's a case of know thy enemy. So if you got a few minutes to spare General Lardass drop by for a chat."

by Lindsay Gauld - Jan 5, 2006
http://www.cycling.mb.ca/

Cpl4Life said:
I can see obvious bias in the bike couriers comments; what I am trying to find out if does anyone know if this is the true cause of no bikes in the winter at 17 Wing?  I'm going to check up on this, could be the guard was mistaken (not saying he/she was, but I'm not going to believe everything I hear from one employee).  I am interested in finding out if this is the true cause (mind you if it was, I'm sure some other "safety" reason could be dreamt up to hide the real cause).  Anyone here know anything about this?

Thanks,
Cpl4Life

"I had a call to pick up an envelope at the 17th wing airbase at the end of Whytewold on a particularly windy day. (this is all the more noticeable on a single speed) I rode there into a stiff north wind, only to be informed at the gate that I couldn't enter the base on my bicycle. Apparently, bikes are allowed in the summer but not during the winter months. It seems that some overblown general got caught behind a cyclist in his oversized gas guzzling SUV and couldn't get by immediately due to the roads being somewhat narrower because of the snow. Obviously flushed with his own power, he immediately decreed that bicycles were banned during the winter. Not very enlightened to say the least. This is the same government preaching the one ton challenge. I'd love to meet this guy as he seems like a real piece of work. I'm sure we'd have absolutely nothing in common but I'd like to try and understand the mentality that could come up with a ruling like that. I guess that's a case of know thy enemy. So if you got a few minutes to spare General Lardass drop by for a chat."

by Lindsay Gauld - Jan 5, 2006
http://www.cycling.mb.ca/

Bikes are prohibited on alot of bases during the winter months for safety reasons.  It is not a "17 Wing only" policy.  Whoever wrote this has a vivid imagination or has heard this from a freind who heard it from her sister-in-law's third cousin twice removed..........  blah blah blah...rban legends and all.

Non the less....it was this mans job they should have let him do it.

Bobbyoreo said:
Non the less....it was this mans job they should have let him do it.
NONE the less.  Rules are Rules.  Regulations are made for a reason.  The Highway Safety Act and all the Rules of the Road that one must abide by are there to prevent injury and death.  This guy has a job.  Yes to that fact.  Does his job preclude him from obeying all the rules of the Road, Highway Safety Act and any other 'Safety Regulations' that may be in effect?  No.  He has no more right to drive a bike down a One Way Street in the wrong direction than any other driver on the Road.  His job doesn't preclude him from any Regulations about driving (perhaps racing) his bike on public sidewalks in the downtown core.  Nor does his job as a civilian courier excuse him from any Rules and Regulations governing Defence Establishments.  Perhaps he should rethink his complaint.

NONE the less.  Rules are Rules.  Regulations are made for a reason

Show me one thing that he did wrong as per your Regulations? I've never seen one memo in 17wing RO about not riding a bike. Maybe an older copy. Not trying to sound rude....just a question.

On the other hand the guy could just leave his bike at the gate and walk to the building or ask that someone bring it out to the gate.

"On the other hand the guy could just leave his bike at the gate and walk to the building"

exactly.  Although their buildings can be well spread out.

Hell, I ride year-round; studded tires are cheap to buy or easy to make.  But it only takes one moron to slide his bike under a MLVW to make the safety Nazis err on the side of reduced liability.  Just ask any troop at WATC who has to wear his helmet at all times while driving in the training area about how anal the safety guys can be.  ;)

Let me jump right on this thread as a serving Canadian Forces member who rides his bike to work ALL-year-round (I have a valid driver's license too)!

This is no problem AT ALL from a safety perspective, IF you are experienced in winter (ice) biking.  I believe most bike couriers are - no doubt!  Most of the "cubicle-commandos" who make up these "Base/Wing rules" are definitely not.  The greatest threat to us -  winter bikers - truly comes from the cars/vehicles out there during this dangerous riding season.  Many of these dangerous-retards-in-cars drive alongside us with only summer tires in January, or all-season radials (garbage for winter traction).  Some do not even bother to decently scrape their windshields off when it's too cold.  Lazy bastards.  I've seen it all - including moving snowbanks pass me by..... ;)

I personally use winter tires on my own car all-year-round since I actually drive it so little.  I also use #8 machine screws on both homemade winter bike tires - around 100 screws each - ALOT cheaper than buying the factory studded bike tires at around 80-bucks a pop.  These homemade tires will give you EXTREME traction in even the worst of conditions, including ANY freezing rain - better than any winter tires on a car by far.  These bike tires have metal screws going into ice.  You can't get better traction that that, eh!?

When freezing rain does happen, I will even ride in the middle of the road in dangerous traffic spots to prevent cars from sliding out of control into me, or passing me too close, or passing me at all - if I deem necessary to do this from MY safety perspective.  For any out there who think this is too "fanatical" - think again.  Bikes have pretty much the same rights as vehicles for road space, and I ALWAYS let some of the the a-holes driving those cars know this at every opportunity! ;)

I also bike all year round, but I am currently living in Toronto which really doesn't have a winter (or what i'm used to anyway).  I hate the drivers out there, other then drivers I really don't mind biking here.  I don't have studded tires, there hasn't really been the need for them yet, but I would make my own.  I have also gone through freezing rain last week, not my idea of fun but it isn't really all that bad.  My favorite type of drivers are truckers because they are actually careful, in my experience at any rate.  The benifit of biking in the city is that I bike on the sidewalks along the busy roads, and then on the sides of the road through subdivisions and other minor roads. 

Gagetown's policy is also no bikes on the roads on Base during the winter months for safety reasons.

And, IIRC, the "helmet law" is in place for driving bikes on all 'federal properties.' This avoids the government getting their butts sued off because someone 'chooses' to bike without it on and suffers a head injury on their property.

As Vern said no bike is GT. From Dec 1st to 1Apr. I believe the only winter base that allow you to ride is Petawawa, unless thats changed.
I ride yr round, studs on the tyres.. I ride to the gate lock it up and walk to the hanger.

Gagetown's policy is also no bikes on the roads on Base during the winter months for safety reasons.

Next thing you know we'll be registering our bikes - just like the guns.  Then it's only a matter of time before they take them away too .... ;)

Anyways, it's VERY easy to make your own studded bike tires.  A couple of boxes of around 1/2" #8 machine screws (depending on the thickness of the tire and your frame), a drill, and knobby mountain bike tires is all you need.  I put the screws in every fourth rubber stud or so.

http://edmontonbicyclecommuters.ca/cgi-bin/content/content.cgi?action=winter

Happy riding!

PS  One thing I hate about winter bike riding is that because I wear mitts - it's hard to give cars the "finger" when required.  I find a good slap on the ass with the mitted glove is just as effective.  Get's their horns going anyways!  :blotto:

No bikes at 4 Wing either. I thought it was kinda stupid as well, but once I realised that car vs bike, the bike loses every time, big time, I thought maybe the rule wasn't too bad. When I factored in the poor roads (really bad up here), poor drivers, and a little bit of road rage, then it makes perfect sense.

Traffic moves well when everyone is going the same speed. If not the same speed, people get frustrated, and problems happen.

"Your bicycle is a vehicle under the Ontario Highway Traffic Act (HTA).  You may occupy any part of a lane when your safety warrants it. Never compromise your safety for the convenience of a motorist behind you (HTA 147)." ......

How true,  I'm sure it's the same in other Provinces.  Obviously, if Base/Wing rules prevent winter riding, you'll have to be your own judge. 

The benifit of biking in the city is that I bike on the sidewalks along the busy roads, and then on the sides of the road through subdivisions and other minor roads. 

I don't know about other cities, but in Kingston there is a $94.00 fine for riding a bike on the sidewalk!  Yes, a bike is a vehicle under the terms of the highway traffic act but the cops are just too busy to write tickets to cyclists. 

Al

Bicycles are vehicles as per the Highway code.
They are NOT permitted to operate on the sidewalks.
They must obey traffic signs the same as any vehicle.
They are permitted on the roadway, thus, if a bicycle occupies a space in a lane, they should certainly not be forced off the roadway....

Geez, guys beat me to it.

You must drive your bike on roads. I got stopped by OPP here in Pet for going on the sidewalk across the bridge during afternoon "rush hour" cause I didn't want to cross traffic twice. The Officer pleasantly reminded me of the rules.

My first answer was, who'd want to ride their bike during January in Winterpeg anyway?

So your not allowed to ride your bike on the streets of base...so what next, no running on same said roads whilst the sidewalks are unplowed? I know there are miles  ::) of sidewalks here in Base Petawawa for pedestrians to go on

So your not allowed to ride your bike on the streets of base...so what next, no running on same said roads whilst the sidewalks are unplowed? I know there are miles  of sidewalks here in Base Petawawa for pedestrians to go on

I tend to take rules as a guideline when my safety is concerned.  Depending on the snow conditions in winter, it is sometimes much safer to ride in 5cm of snow on a sidewalk, than in the road-mush in traffic.  I'd take my chances with the ticket.  I've seen it the other way around too (as a driver) - pouring rain, night, downtown Ottawa, and some teenager dressed in black riding a bike with no lights, reflectors, or any safety equipment. 

I think the winter biking rules apply to pretty much any Base/Wing in Canada.  I was actually the Safety Rep for my section in Trenton when this no-winter-biking policy was brought up at a safety meeting many years ago.  You could tell from the attitude (and shape) of some of the people there that they would probably ban PT from the Forces if they could! 

Bottom line.  I kept riding. ;)

Problem with riding bikes on the sidewalk is that ... there are pedestrians on the sidewalks AND they don't move as quickly as the bikes. Herd mentality sort of.

Back