• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No Fitness Test?

FactorXYZ

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi All,
I just came back from my CFAT/medical today at CFRC Vancouver, and me and the group of people I was with were told by the recruiter before our CFAT, that the process no longer requires applicants to complete a fitness test.They said that BMQ will do all the work of weeding out the unfit. Are other applicants being informed of this as well? Or is there some kind of miscommunication?

I had been informed of that myself in Manitoba a few weeks ago. Then I switched my app to the reserves and all of the sudden I had a PT test to do- the reserves apparently still requires it but the regs dont. The other weird part? Im not doing the beep test Im doing the step test. Yuck.

FactorXYZ said:
They said that BMQ will do all the work of weeding out the unfit. Are other applicants being informed of this as well? Or is there some kind of miscommunication?

Don't they still have the warrior platoon for all the unfit that arrive there? Or did they disban that idea?

I'm not worried about it, I am curious though. 

Last I heard, it was only for people that get injured there...if you fail your initial PT test, it's "Sayanora".

MM

I was in Trenton with a guy that ran the fitness tests in St. Jean, and according to him they still have the camp. You have to meet minimum requirements to go there though, if you can't reach those you get sent home.

I am not quoting this as fact, just second hand information

jemcgrg said:
I was in Trenton with a guy that ran the fitness tests in St. Jean, and according to him they still have the camp. You have to meet minimum requirements to go there though, if you can't reach those you get sent home.

I am not quoting this as fact, just second hand information

Still, it's nice information to know incase something goes wrong. Now I just have to pray that I've been practicing my pushups with proper form...

While I make no claim to firsthand knowledge about the CF physical testing, when I was younger I completed a physical fitness test for Policing that was regulated pretty stringently.
The push-up requirement had us touch our nose to a gym mat that was approximately 2 inches off the ground.  Additionally, the instructor counting had a tennis ball in his hand, with his hand under our stomach. (He was lying on the ground next to us counting.)  His count increased only when our stomach touched his hand, and our nose touched the mat (must be at the same time).  If just our nose or stomach touched, it didn't count.  To this day, I still have nightmares of doing 50+ what I thought were quality push-ups, but only scoring 47 and hearing him yell "LOWER - THAT'S NOT A PUSH UP!".  :'(

If you're worried about proper form, put something (IE: tennis ball) under your stomach and nose.
Touch your nose and stomach at the same time and you'll know your form is correct and you're getting low enough.

At the very least, you'll be able to eliminate some "LOWER – THAT’S NOT A PUSH UP!" counts.  :)

Best Wishes

Stacked said:
That's exactly why I hope it's still there.  I can do 27 consecutive push ups as it stands now, but if for some unknown reason (Maybe form?) something goes wrong, and I only get 17 or 18 push ups done.. It's nice to know I won't get sent home straight away.

The way I do my push ups is as follows:

-Hands shoulder length apart
-Down until my arms are at a 90 degree angle, I don't think you need to touch your nose to the ground...

Hopefully that's correct. I believe it is though.

Chrispi said:
If you're worried about proper form, put something (IE: tennis ball) under your stomach and nose.
Touch your nose and stomach at the same time and you'll know your form is correct and you're getting low enough.

At the very least, you'll be able to eliminate some "LOWER – THAT’S NOT A PUSH UP!" counts.

Just what we need, another fitness "advice" thread.  ::)

I've posted a link with the proper form for push-ups on here at least three times (I think) and I'll be damned if I'm going to do it again. 

PMedMoe said:
Well, since you asked so nicely.......

http://www.cg.cfpsa.ca/cg-pc/Esquimalt/EN/FitnessandSports/MilitaryFitness/Documents/EXPRES-Brochure-PushUp.pdf

Now that I really look at the pictures on that poster, the girl seems a little low in the "down" position. 

Oh well.  *shrugs*    ;)

Actually, there's a much better reference.  I'll link to the parent webpage, since there will undoubtably be a new version out this year.

Go to the CFPSA Library page at http://www.cfpsa.com/en/psp/fitness/library_e.asp, and look for the latest copy of the "CF EXPRES Ops Manual".  That's the bible for the EXPRES testers.

Occam said:
Actually, there's a much better reference.  I'll link to the parent webpage, since there will undoubtably be a new version out this year.

Go to the CFPSA Library page at http://www.cfpsa.com/en/psp/fitness/library_e.asp, and look for the latest copy of the "CF EXPRES Ops Manual".  That's the bible for the EXPRES testers.

Yep, that's a good one.  :nod:

Stacked said:
Regular Force applicants do not complete the fitness test until they reach St-Jean.

When did they change that?  Not trying to sound meanspirited here...but it seems kind of stupid to waste time, energy and money on enrolling people, buying plane tickets and starting to train people that could verywell just be very unfit and then RTU'd and released because they weren't fitness tested beforehand. 

When i was in 5 years ago we did it at the CFRC and the fitness test at BMQ wasnt until 7th week, however alot of people were failing at  BMQ after being sent along by the CFRC. They changed it now so that you do the fitness test as soon as you arrive to BMQ, since the CFRC was sending people to BMQ either way. This way they are not wasting 7 weeks training someone unfit.

Ice97 said:
When did they change that?  Not trying to sound meanspirited here...but it seems kind of stupid to waste time, energy and money on enrolling people, buying plane tickets and starting to train people that could verywell just be very unfit and then RTU'd and released because they weren't fitness tested beforehand.

It would sound stupid if they were actually administering the Express test at week 0.  However they are only doing an entrance test of sorts.  For males under 35 the minimum requirements to continue training are 4 push ups (sit ups im not certain but likely around 4 as well) 3.5 on the shuttle run and something ridiculously low on the grip test.  Its almost embarrassing in my opinion  I don't think to many people are failing that and being sent home however im sure some still do.

However you must still pass the full CF EXpress test requirements to graduate.  I believe its near week 7 or 8 and you will be sent to warrior platoon for a maximum for 90 days if you fail to meet those requirements.  If you still can't meet requirements then you go home.

I did BMQ March of last year. A few got the punt after the week 0 express test. How embarrassing! Aim to do double the required number of push ups and sit-ups prior to going. You want to exempt both express tests. I thought that we'd all get so much better by week 8 but was wrong. During those weeks you do a great deal of PT, do a million push ups, sit ups, plank etc as "extra training" (punishment) but none of us improved much, if at all. I just matched my original numbers from week 0. Must be due to the overall training, amount of food/sleep and other factors. This is just my opinion, from my own experience.

I got in almost 20 years ago and I never did a PT test at CFRC Halifax. Didn't know what a push-up was till I hit Cornwallis. Seemed to do OK I guess (still here at any rate).

Point is, this seems to change every few years. Don't get your undergrunders in a bunch over a change in policy. Just give it some time and it will probably change again.

Lord knows that when I'm in charge around here ....  ;D

Wook

Little FYI,

if you fail the Express Test the first time but you are close to passing, they will keep you in BMQ and retest you during week 7 or week 8.

Container said:
I had been informed of that myself in Manitoba a few weeks ago. Then I switched my app to the reserves and all of the sudden I had a PT test to do- the reserves apparently still requires it but the regs dont. The other weird part? Im not doing the beep test Im doing the step test. Yuck.

Actually the step test is a better test (not that I'm not saying it's the best test) in that it actually takes a quantifiable measure of cardio-vascular fitness (heart rate compared to activity level).  Whereas the beep test is more of a measure of how fast you can run 20 m.

Back