• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NO FRENCH For Married Pilots out of BMOQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

westcoastboy

Inactive
Reaction score
Looks like there is NO FRENCH for the NEW Pilots out of St Jean BMOQ if your married......Straight to OJT
If your NOT then you have to stay and do FRENCH at the St Jean Language School for a year

lethalLemon said:
Wow... that's completely fair  ::)

Obviously you're making that determination based on a thorough understanding of the rationale behind the decision.  So, why don't you share all those details with us and we'll examine the facts.

lethalLemon said:
Wow... that's completely fair  ::)

Have you done this course? Do you understand how it works? I have.

It's a year of SLT, during which one can not take any leave (besides the Christmas break and a March Break). It is not a course that a fresh pilot requires right NOW. So, after having already been away from family that you actually still live with (because you're married) doing BMOQ, you go straight to your OJT instead of stuck in St Jean for another full year without your family. Plenty of time for SLT in the future ... and hopefully at a location where your wife/kids are.

What's the issue?
::)

At least they get the opportunity. Most Snr NCOs don't regardless of time in.

Regards

I'm one of the lucky ones, slated for SLT 2012 in St.Jean. Then posted to the CFLRS as a PL WO in 2013.

I`ve no qualms with learning french, it`s just that CFLS straight out of CFLRS is the worst possible posting-  you continue to be treated like an invalid, and you get NONE of the benefits of being on a real base, ie: an Air Force officer here is not allowed to go to QM and ask for basic, neccessary shit like Air Force epaulettes, or blue airforce T-shirts, so there are, after four months, still guys walking around with Air Force berets, green T-shirts, and green epaulettes on their combats-  real professional!  This list goes on and on, and I damn sure wish I`d have married my gf before finishing my officer course!

The_Mauler said:
I`ve no qualms with learning french, it`s just that CFLS straight out of CFLRS is the worst possible posting-  you continue to be treated like an invalid, and you get NONE of the benefits of being on a real base, ie: an Air Force officer here is not allowed to go to QM and ask for basic, neccessary crap like Air Force epaulettes, or blue airforce T-shirts, so there are, after four months, still guys walking around with Air Force berets, green T-shirts, and green epaulettes on their combats-  real professional!  This list goes on and on, and I damn sure wish I`d have married my gf before finishing my officer course!
To follow up on Jim's comment above, I'm guessing you're not going to get any sympathy from people who would gladly take your place at the drop of a hat.

The_Mauler said:
I`ve no qualms with learning french, it`s just that CFLS straight out of CFLRS is the worst possible posting-  you continue to be treated like an invalid, and you get NONE of the benefits of being on a real base, ie: an Air Force officer here is not allowed to go to QM and ask for basic, neccessary crap like Air Force epaulettes, or blue airforce T-shirts, so there are, after four months, still guys walking around with Air Force berets, green T-shirts, and green epaulettes on their combats-  real professional!  This list goes on and on, and I damn sure wish I`d have married my gf before finishing my officer course!

Seriously?

You know you're on a snooze-and-booze course when all you can find to complain about is the colour of your shirts and epaulettes...  ::)

The_Mauler said:

Go on a trip to Ottawa if your so desperate...

I found the QM at CFLRS to be quite good for the year I used their services.

Think about it from a financial standpoint; if the member is married they have quarters elsewhere.  That means that the CF picks up the tab for the members rations and quarters as well as having to pay the separation allowance.  (At least that is the way it was when I went through, not sure if the rules have changed).  Ends up being a pretty expensive tab to send someone on a course that they really have very little need for at that point in their career. 
As for making the single pilots do the course, why not?  The CF is going to be paying them regardless of where they are, why not stick them where they can learn something other than making coffee?

The others are handling the whole "I don't wanna do SLT...whywhywhywhy" thingy just fine...

I damn sure wish I`d have married my gf before finishing my officer course!

Give this a looooong think, chappy, and tell me if you believe you would ever have stones enough to utter it in front of your girl. Because methinks this would go over like a lead frickin balloon and lead to a swift kick in those stones.

Show some class, please.

Edit: Because I arsed up the quote box.

I know nothing of the course, but why treat married/single people differently?  The member wasn't issued a family (to drag a saying out from the depths of the Cold War era), and if the needs of the service come first, why differentiate?  Why make single (unmarried) people take a path different from their married peers?

From part 1, of the Canadian Human Rights Act:

For all purposes of this Act, the prohibited grounds of discrimination are race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability and conviction for which a pardon has been granted.

From here:  link.

Just saying.

That is a hard point to argue TK

Initally I was on the suck it cup cake side but then again your point is valid, now I am all conflicted.... OP dont ever marry for a service reason the she gets half your stuff when she splits.

The_Mauler said:
it`s just that CFLS straight out of CFLRS is the worst possible posting-

There are much worse places to be, you just don't know enough to see it yet.

neccessary crap like Air Force epaulettes, or blue airforce T-shirts,

I wouldn't call those things necessary...........

still guys walking around with Air Force berets, green T-shirts, and green epaulettes on their combats-

Not that big a deal.  You still got paid last 15th right ? You ate today right ?

The_Mauler said:
I`ve no qualms with learning french, it`s just that CFLS straight out of CFLRS is the worst possible posting-  you continue to be treated like an invalid, and you get NONE of the benefits of being on a real base, ie: an Air Force officer here is not allowed to go to QM and ask for basic, neccessary crap like Air Force epaulettes, or blue airforce T-shirts, so there are, after four months, still guys walking around with Air Force berets, green T-shirts, and green epaulettes on their combats-  real professional! 

The army side of me wants to say something. But I"ll just be nice and nod my head.  :nod:

Regards,
TN2IC

The_Mauler said:
I`ve no qualms with learning french, it`s just that CFLS straight out of CFLRS is the worst possible posting-  you continue to be treated like an invalid, and you get NONE of the benefits of being on a real base, ie: an Air Force officer here is not allowed to go to QM and ask for basic, neccessary shit like Air Force epaulettes, or blue airforce T-shirts, so there are, after four months, still guys walking around with Air Force berets, green T-shirts, and green epaulettes on their combats-  real professional!  This list goes on and on, and I damn sure wish I`d have married my gf before finishing my officer course!

Worst possible posting - CFLRS - really?  Have you been to Moose Jaw or Portage La Prairie?

The important benefits of a real base are: a QM with Air Force slip-ons and blue T-shirts in stock.  - Ditto - MJ and PLP!

Yes I certainly recommend getting married to avoid a course or posting.  Nothing says love more than regrets.

I can't wait to read your memoirs of marital bliss and flying duties over the next decade or two. 

Here is a positive spin: In 6-8 years you could be ahead of your (now married) peers on the promotion list to Major because you have good French scores. 

If you have made some friends during your course  ;) why don't you ask one of those married guys to send you some slip-ons and t-shirts in the mail?

SLT isn't so bad.  You won't lose your spot on the waiting list for PFT/BFT - so no worries there.  Better there, learning something, than at some unit somewhere being the photocopy b$tch.

St-Jean is an alright place to hang out, close to Montreal and also to Burlington, Vermont.

CPGear has AF epaulettes (or ask your friends.)  Canex will have blue t-shirts.  I bought those when I was in SLT, set myself back maybe $40, and got a French profile out of it.  If that's really what bothers you, that's what...one night at La Trinquette?

As Simian Turner says, that profile will put you way ahead of those who became Photocopy-O at 4XX sqn.  SLT, as crappy as it may seem while there, is definitely worth it at this stage in the game.  Once you're through the training system, you won't have time due to flying and courses and you'll actually need that profile to, ya know, get promoted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back