• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No more patrols for G-Wagons in Afghanistan?

TCBF said:
Next thing you know, we will be buying tanks.

Yep, big white plastic tanks mounted on the rear of the Nyalas to hold all the fertilizer that politicians keep throwing at us.

1. from what I have understood, the GWagons aren't to be used for patrols anymore - (once the aditional Nyalas are received?).  But the CF uses these vehicles for lots of other tasks. Have doubts that too much dust will accumulate on em from lack of use.

The US have been having similar problems with their Hummers & have responded with similar interest in Nyalas, Bushmawsters & other similar vehicles.... IEDs will continue to be a problem

(anyway - if all else fails - they can always give the GWagons to the reserves as a replacement for the Bisons, cougars & grizzlies that were "borrowed"

3rd Horseman said:
Recce BD -  is that photo of the M1 struck by IED, a mobility kill that was later killed by US fast air or is it a complete IED kill? It looks like the M1 that was hit day one on the assult into Bagdad that was taken out by US forces to deny it from the EN.

Unknown. I have many pictures here but unfortunatly I can't extract them from a powerpoint AFV lecture I have here with me. I don't have MS Office on my home PC.

Uggg...this is driving me nuts.

Give me a couple of days and I'll post them somehow.

Regards

"from what I have understood, the GWagons aren't to be used for patrols anymore"

To late for my young fellow, 4 stacked anti tank mines can make anyones day unhappy,no matter what you are driving in.      :cdn:

Dave Payne

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2006/06/01/pf-1609980.html

June 1, 2006

Forces buy more armoured vehicles

OTTAWA (CP) - The Canadian Forces is buying 25 more South African Nyala armoured vehicles for its Afghanistan mission.

The $31-million purchase from BAE Land Systems OMC comes after Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor said the army's G-Wagon light armoured vehicles would be pulled off patrol duty in Afghanistan.

The G-Wagons have proved vulnerable to roadside bombs.

The latest purchase of Nyalas comes on top of a $64-million order for 50 of the vehicles placed last fall with General Dynamics Land Systems of Canada. Those vehicles were delivered this spring and the new Nyalas should start arriving in September.

The Nyalas, which weigh 8,400 kilograms fully loaded, include bullet-resistant windows and offer protection against mines and booby traps.

They carry machine-guns or grenade launchers which gunners fire from inside the vehicle.

The G-Wagons were purchased as a quick replacement for the flimsy and aging Iltis jeeps that were standard in the army for years.

But the lightly armoured G-Wagons, made by Daimler Chrysler, were no match for the improvised explosive devices - many of them powerful - planted by Afghan insurgents. Five Canadians have died while riding in G-Wagons hit by blasts.

The Nyalas can carry six people at a top speed of 105 kilometres an hour.

it seems to me the procurement phase of this acquisition was astonishingly short - how many months was it before the need was identified and the kit appeared in theatre?  would it be correct to say the new government is working faster on these things, or is this merely a coincidence? it seems like the new howitzers were also delivered to theatre very quickly also.

calgarytanks said:
it seems to me the procurement phase of this acquisition was astonishingly short - how many months was it before the need was identified and the kit appeared in theatre?  would it be correct to say the new government is working faster on these things, or is this merely a coincidence? it seems like the new howitzers were also delivered to theatre very quickly also.
As was said to me once when I was a young officer.  "See miracle do happen".  Now about that....

Sigh

We bought Armoured G wagons when the Iltis exploded

We bought Nyala's when the GWagon exploded

We buy X when they get a bigger bomb for the Nyala (or use more RPG's...)

You gotta get out on the ground mingle with the people and shoot the bad people in the motherfucking face!

look up Eyre's post on the War of the Snakes. It says, far better than Infidel or I (or at least in greater depth), what Infidel and I are saying.

Now, how do I shorten Infidel? I can't go with "Infy", that's already taken....

The G-wagon is decent, but the Nayla is better for this task, I am impressed that they are making things happen. They should bite the bullet and negotiate for a larger batch and start equipping units with these, we will likely get a lot of use out of them over the years.

Darth_Hamel said:
Politicians trying to avoid bad photo ops of coffins coming home by using G-Wagens less should remember the words of the CDS after the 4 soldiers were killed by the IED; roughly that no matter how much armour you put on a vehicle the insurgents can build a big enough bomb to kill people inside.  It's the job of the higher ups to reduce casualties while working towards the mission accomplishment, but politicians should never get into the trap of thinking that military operations can be successful witout suffering casualties.
 ​
Wacko-up , it's not a photo-op, it's looking after the boy's ! So now you
are an Eng. EY ! right !  You wouldn't know a pound C4 if you were sitting on it.

The G-wagon is decent, but the Nayla is better for this task, I am impressed that they are making things happen. They should bite the bullet and negotiate for a larger batch and start equipping units with these, we will likely get a lot of use out of them over the years.

I don't dis- agree one bit but I do have a concern and it was mentioned earlier.  What happens when they start taking out the Nayla's?  Do we only use LAV's?  What happens when they start taking out LAV's?  It is one of the oldest battle in war firepower vs armour.  Firepower will always win.  It is just easier to up the firepower then it is the armour. 

I don't know if it so much of avoiding photo-ops as it is eliminating the bad press as the public seems to be wavering in its support of the mission.  Will the policy save life's, yes till the Taliban adjust their tactics to take out the larger vehicles.  But until the Taliban is defeated- truly and harshly dealt with or we pull our toops out of theater, our young men in women will continue to be at risk and some will not survive every encounter.

The G wagon was an fix to the Iltis problem and it was/is a good vehicle for general purpose and some operational duties.  The Nayla is a good fix to the landmines and some of the IED's but no vehicle will ever be IED proof.  It would be impossible.

MOO

Do a search on EFP's and Shaped Charges...

This is a look good feel good fix. 

Back