• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No new White Paper

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Despite all the promises that have been comming throughout the winter, we will not be seeing a new White Paper. The CBC has reported that Art Eggleton will present a new "discussion paper" on the Canadian Forces next week. He will then hold public consultations through the summer and spring.

Sources told the CBC that the discussion paper will ask whether Canada should make decisions such as buying light equipment rather than more traditional heavily armoured vehicles. But in a recent interview, Prime Minister Jean Chrétien said he‘s reluctant to spend a lot of money on equipment.

The discussion period should end just in time for the next budget.
Full story

A white paper would indicate that the Liberals are actually paying attention to defence. They are still living in Adelpate Axeworthy‘s ‘soft power‘ fantasyland.
Chretien finds it easier to dole out the pork to Bombardier and lurch from crisis to crisis, rather than making a stand that may gain the liberals no votes.
Canada gets what it deserves, howver. The US has raped by taking oil, water and power through deregulation and leaving us with the husks of wheat, logging and other finished products.
Is there a link between a strong military and being taken seriously by the US or am I just off on a rant?!?

Please don‘t take this as a dig, but if you are ranting let it go.

In 89, I was a poster child for the White Paper of the day, where did it go, who knows. If you want, my picture is still being used today for promo and is on display at NDHQ. :D

White papers mean nothing in todays real world, nothing more than an administrative exercise. :rolleyes:

UBIQUE :warstory:

Back