• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No plan for Queen's Platinum Jubilee Medal

Looks like we'll have one anyway, like Australia and New Zealand, the only question is whether or not the government wants it to have CANADA and a maple leaf.

Looks like we'll have one anyway, like Australia and New Zealand, the only question is whether or not the government wants it to have CANADA and a maple leaf.
Given that the Silver, Golden, and the Diamond Jubilee medals all had the word Canada and maple leaves on them I think it is a given that should we choose to award a Platinum Jubilee medal it would follow that tradition.

Would be good to regularize these things: whether it's a mass-issue to people meeting certain criteria, or a nominated award, just lock it in and plan on, every ten years, doing whatever it is.

Would be good to regularize these things: whether it's a mass-issue to people meeting certain criteria, or a nominated award, just lock it in and plan on, every ten years, doing whatever it is.

Well, it's not like Quality Control was an issue in the past with these types of bling, right? :)

Why Is Canada Rewarding Anti-Abortion Activists?​

The awarding of the Queen's Jubilee medal to two chronic clinic harassers is a travesty. Linda Gibbons, 65, and Mary Wagner, 39, have been given medals for repeatedly attempting to invade abortion clinics and "counsel" patients not to end their pregnancies. They are regularly sent to jail for their actions. They are also assiduously cultivating public martyrdom.

Well, it's not like Quality Control was an issue in the past with these types of bling, right? :)

The awarding of the Queen's Jubilee medal to two chronic clinic harassers is a travesty. Linda Gibbons, 65, and Mary Wagner, 39, have been given medals for repeatedly attempting to invade abortion clinics and "counsel" patients not to end their pregnancies. They are regularly sent to jail for their actions. They are also assiduously cultivating public martyrdom.

Absolutely. Establishing a ten-year cycle (if it's going to be a nominated thing, rather than e.g. a sort of multidisciplinary CD) might encourage a bit more thoughtfulness and vetting, instead of crossing fingers and hoping MPs will bring forward deserving individuals.

Given the associations of the term jubilee with freeing slaves and other things beneficial to lower social classes, adopting a firmly bottom-up policy would also be desirable, perhaps with criteria to avoid recognizing straight service for which there's already a service medal, etc., but allowing recognition of service in groups which don't have a service medal, e.g. volunteer gound and RCM SAR.

So it's not just the military then...

We may see a change depending on how the election goes, if it happens in time.
Why do you think the Liberal government we’re about to have is any more likely to approve a ‘gimme’ than the Liberal government we have now? Or do you think that if they pull off a majority, we’re more likely to see CAF members put in positions to actually earn something?

Why do you think the Liberal government we’re about to have is any more likely to approve a ‘gimme’ than the Liberal government we have now? Or do you think that if they pull off a majority, we’re more likely to see CAF members put in positions to actually earn something?
If the Conservatives win, I think that it is likely that we may have one.

If the Conservatives win, I think that it is likely that we may have one.
Sure, but unfortunately that appears very unlikely. Realistically the question is probably not “LPC or CPC?”, but more likely “majority or minority?”

In any case, why crave a shiny that you did nothing to earn?

Sure, but unfortunately that appears very unlikely. Realistically the question is probably not “LPC or CPC?”, but more likely “majority or minority?”

In any case, why crave a shiny that you did nothing to earn?

Oh, wait, I know! :)

ego inflating GIF by Jon Newman

It appears that the government is quite serious about not having a Platinum Jubilee Medal, and this does not appear to be some type of a spur of the moment anti-monarchy decision — note that there was no Canada 150 Medal issued in 2017. Instead, it appears that the government has quietly but deliberately decided that these commemorative medals have no further place in our honours and awards system.

And I, for one, fully support this decision. We have a honours and awards system. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. But adding commemorative medals awarded on spurious grounds to a seemingly random collection of pop stars, criminals, political cronies, citizen leaders and soldiers doesn’t contribute anything, and risks instead bringing the awards and honours system into disrepute.

Is there an absolute need for more gongs? If pressed, I’d even support a fourth (lower) tier of the Order of Canada — Prospect of the Order of Canada is probably out of line, but I’m open to suggestions on the name. But by all means toss the commemorative medals.

It appears that the government is quite serious about not having a Platinum Jubilee Medal, and this does not appear to be some type of a spur of the moment anti-monarchy decision — note that there was no Canada 150 Medal issued in 2017. Instead, it appears that the government has quietly but deliberately decided that these commemorative medals have no further place in our honours and awards system.

And I, for one, fully support this decision. We have a honours and awards system. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. But adding commemorative medals awarded on spurious grounds to a seemingly random collection of pop stars, criminals, political cronies, citizen leaders and soldiers doesn’t contribute anything, and risks instead bringing the awards and honours system into disrepute.

Is there an absolute need for more gongs? If pressed, I’d even support a fourth (lower) tier of the Order of Canada — Prospect of the Order of Canada is probably out of line, but I’m open to suggestions on the name. But by all means toss the commemorative medals.

Or an 'easier to award' OrMM, or something like that, to recognize great work when it's justified.

The current OrMM process is insanely difficult to navigate, pretty much.

Striker.

From what watching Sons of Anarchy taught me is that "Prospects" get a lower rocker, not a lower medal.

Is there an absolute need for more gongs? If pressed, I’d even support a fourth (lower) tier of the Order of Canada — Prospect of the Order of Canada is probably out of line, but I’m open to suggestions on the name.
I like it. You get medal with a lower rocker and have to do menial tasks for the Government. After 10 years in the Order you progress to full patch member.

From what watching Sons of Anarchy taught me is that "Prospects" get a lower rocker, not a lower medal.
They had to tolerate some good-natured hazing, and perform some less than desirable tasks.

Remember the tattoo removal protocol if you screwed up? If you were lucky, they they tattooed over it.

If not, you had a choice. Fire or knife.

Unlike the Victoria Cross.

Even were a VC to be sentenced to be hanged for murder, he should be allowed to wear his VC on the scaffold.

Attachments

• soa.jpg
    soa.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 3
The only thing worse than having nothing more than a CD to show for one's time-in is having a CD plus some participation trophies.
Semantics maybe, but all campaign and service medals that are given for operations are for "participation". The jubilee bling are "commemoratives".

And as it has been my habit when the CD is seemingly disparaged, I'll again resurrect a post that I made years ago.

One of my lasting memories of someone talking about the decorations and medals that he was wearing occurred in 1994. I had the good luck of having a COS date out of Lahr that permitted me to arrange my passage home on the Queen Elizabeth 2 sailing out of Southampton on 8 June. I was able therefore to drive to Normandy and spend 6 June 94 (50th Anniversary of D-Day) visiting some of the memorials and events there; take the ferry across to England; turn my car over to Cunard for loading onto the ship and then relax for several days on the North Atlantic. The voyage was billed as a “D-Day Memorial” cruise. Many of the passengers were WW II veterans, mostly American, some Brits, and at least one Canadian.

One of the events that occurred on the ship was the Captain’s Welcome Party. Dressed in finest bib and tucker, you go through the receiving line, have your photo taken and then proceed to the most important part of the soiree… getting a drink. Some of the other passengers were wearing medals, ribbons or devices that showed that they had served. I was in mess kit as were a few of the other passengers including a Van Doo LCol and a husband & wife who were both pilots in the USAF. It was particularly easy for the Van Doo and me to be noticed in the scarlet monkey jackets.

A few people had approached me with the inevitable questions about who we were and what were we doing. I was chatting with a lady when we were approached by a gentleman in a maroon jacket that included Cdn para wings and several medals. He introduced himself and joined in the conversation which naturally turned to where had you been. He had served with the 1 Cdn Para Bn as a private during the war and had made the jump into Normandy and over the Rhine.

The lady with whom we were chatting asked about the medals and wings he and I were wearing. I probably would have answered in my typically flippant manner about 12 years undetected crime (C.D.), 6 months getting a suntan and not getting a venereal disease (UNEFME) and 4 years wine and beer tasting (SSM with NATO bar), but he replied first by drawing her attention to the one medal we had in common, the Canadian Forces Decoration. I was surprised when he told her it was the one that he was most proud to wear. The lady asked why. His reply impressed me and later that evening I wrote an account of what he said, maybe not verbatim, because we had imbibed several beverages, but close enough for government work.

He said. “ It’s easy to be a soldier when everyone is or wants to be a soldier; when being in uniform is the normal thing to do. The true measure of a man is his commitment to serving his country when there is little chance of excitement, or glory or getting medals. This medal (he indicated his CD) shows people that we pledged a significant portion of our lives to serving our country when few others would, doing things that we didn't necessarily want to do and that were not very glamorous. These (he indicated his 4 or 5 wartime medals) I got for spending 3 years in uniform doing what most guys my age were doing. Was it hard work and dangerous? Yes. But mostly I had a lot of fun doing it.”

Since then I’ve had a different perspective on those little pieces of ribbon that we wear.

But to get back to a Platinum Jubilee Medal . . .

While the UK is proceeding with plans for one, Her Majesty's other "major realms" are not. At present, besides Canada, Australia and New Zealand have no plans to issue a commemorative medal for next year's jubilee. That is not surprising since Australia and New Zealand didn't separately issue Golden and Diamond Jubilee medals. They did, however, receive a quota in the 1977 Silver Jubilee issued by the UK; Canada issued its own.

If one is so inclined, an MP has initiated a petition on the Commons website calling on the government to create such an item.

There have also been petitions calling on the Australian and New Zealand governments to issue such a medal (unlikely) and even one to the British government that proposes "the criteria for the medal should include all personnel, serving or retired, who have had 5 years continuous service during Her Majesty’s reign".

Back