• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Not meeting physical requirments

Jschamber said:
What do you guys think of P90X for a program?

I picked up the disks last year, and got part way through them, but never actually finished. It kind of disappoints me, because if I would have stuck with it, the three months would be over by now, and I would probably be in a lot better shape.

I've never done P90X, but just last week I was talking with a guy I know in the CF who is a triatholon type.  Type of guy that finds the BFT "a nice little stroll" and the EXPRES test more like a warm-up.

He started doing P90X at home recently and was quite amazed at how it was challenging to him, mentioning the difference he feels in his core, pull-ups, etc.

Like I said, I've never done it but if a guy like him finds some value in doing it...

-Skeletor- said:
Artyman,  did you intend to put your question/reply within bgray's post?

Also,  19 is not the minimum for females.

Thank you.

I was just stating that it only took me one month to get to 10 pushups (which was awesome, because I'm a female and the min is 9).

With that being said, once you hit the minimum, don't stop. There are other challenges within the CF you may want to try for and just hitting the bare minimum wont cut it (ex. ironman).

Again, if you aren't even close to the minimun standards for the PT test, don't try and push yourself onto basic training.

If you stick with it and motivate yourself, you can definitely get in shape with p90x.

Any fitness progression model, P90X or other, can work.  The key is to do it.

To be more specific, however, P90X and others like it are what I would refer to as cookie cutter programs.  They can be challenging, but there are better ways to reach specific goals than routines designed with no specific agenda in mind.  If having a routine laid out for you helps, though, then by all means go for it.  If you can make it through P90X, cookie cutter or not, you will be much more prepared physically than you are right now.

But if you want to save yourself some money and get in decent shape before basic, such routines are honestly not necessary.  Staying in shape is not some kind of secret that was just laid out in the most recent fitness craze.  I'm willing to bet you already have a pretty good idea of what you need to do, but again, the trick is to do it.  Without having to purchase any fitness programs, here's an example of some simple advice:

- Run.  Even just a couple times per week will help.  Don't worry about a specific type of running (paced distance, interval sprints, etc.) in the beginning, just do it regularly and, each time, make an effort to improve, whether it's in the form of going just a little faster or a little longer than before.  Once you're in the habit of running regularly, then you can worry about figuring out what pace you want to achieve and start incorporating interval sprints as well.  But for now, again, just run.

- Become a pushup addict.  Pushups are one of the most effective exercises that you can do almost anywhere due to the sheer number of muscle groups you can hit with them.  Don't get too scientific about it at first, just make sure you actually do them.  Every morning when you get up, as soon as your feet hit the floor drop and do as many pushups as you can.  At some point during the day, drop and do as many pushups as you can.  Just before you go to bed, drop and do as many pushups as you can.  As with the running, you can get more specific with  your goals later.  For now, just do them.

- Find a sturdy backpack and put heavy stuff in it.  Small homemade sandbags are ideal since you can easily control the weight in the backpack, but even a bunch of books will work.  A couple times a week, throw on this backpack and do a few sets of pushups.  Try to keep enough weight in it that you can't do more than, say, 8.  This will allow you to get a decent strength workout (as opposed to endurance).

- If you get any equipment at all, my suggestions would be an ab wheel and a jump rope.  The wheel is an awesome, and highly underused tool for core workouts, and jumping rope will provide some good cardio while, at the same time, helping you develop coordination.  There's a reason why even the highest level pro boxers still utilize such a simple exercise as jumping rope.

This is all fairly elementary stuff but, if you do it, it will work.  If you want to invest in something else, sure P90X can work, but personally I think you'd be better off with something like this:

http://www.rosstraining.com/nevergymless.html

The amount of knowledge in a book like this will last a lot longer than anything you'll gain from a cookie cutter routine, and it has a few sample workouts after the main content to get you started that are just as challenging if not more so.  It is, in addition, designed specifically to appeal to those who either can't or prefer not to rely on a fully stocked gym for their fitness needs.

In regards to the original question as to whether or not you should go not being in shape...

I'm gonna make what is probably an unpopular statement and say that basic training is not that demanding physically.  It might seem like it if all you've ever done in your life is go to school and play video games.  Sure, you'll suffer more if you're not in shape, but there is nothing in basic training you can't will your way through, and that's the key right there... willpower.  When I went to basic in the U.S., however, there was one critical difference.  Once we get to basic, we're not allowed to just walk away.  Thus, those who weren't in shape ended up making it through one way or another.  In Canada, you have the option to give up.  And though you can theoretically make it through with willpower whether you're in shape or not, I'm gonna make the assumption that if you can't bring yourself to do the running and the pushups on your own time, when they start throwing physical and psychological challenges at you in basic there's a pretty good chance, going off the statistics I've seen anyway, that you're gonna opt to get up and walk away from it.

bgray said:
Start the application process, sure, but only if you are going to work on your fitness. Simply do push ups, sit ups and distance running at home.

Don't be one of those people who go to basic and live on warrior platoon for months... You will silently be judged... Theres no reason a person cant push off 10 pushups (proper) and 30 sit ups.

I went from doing ZERO push ups to 10 within a month prior to basic.

** I don't mean to offend anyone who had to take part in warrior, I'm just suggesting this guy avoid it, like everyone does.

LOL! One isn't "silently" judged.  Those on Warrior (I am there.....took 38 days to get my "proper" push-ups, and now I'm waiting for a new platoon to arrive) are judged on a daily/very loud basis.  We are judged by both staff and fellow candidates.  So, if you don't want to throw your kit into a large black garbage bag and wear a big ol' red W on your chest for a weeks/moths, then work your ass off and prepare!!! 

(Not picking on you Medtechhopefull, I'm glad you're on your way to your next platoon)

Since budget is such an issue I wonder just how much money is spent on "warrior platoon".

Paying soldiers for months that they are on it marking time.
The money for 3 meals a day.
The money spent on employing instructors to supervise them.
Food for instructors.
Money spent medical side.

Would it not save the CF a LOT of money to simply set a higher standard for people to join the CF and once they are in be able to concentrate on training soldiers?

Isn't it basically like letting someone who failed the CFAT test join and telling  them that we will house feed clothe and employ them while they study books to make themselves smarter and once they pass the basic requirements then we start training them.

ObedientiaZelum said:
(Not picking on you Medtechhopefull, I'm glad you're on your way to your next platoon)

Since budget is such an issue I wonder just how much money is spent on "warrior platoon".

Paying soldiers for months that they are on it marking time.
The money for 3 meals a day.
The money spent on employing instructors to supervise them.
Food for instructors.
Money spent medical side.

Would it not save the CF a LOT of money to simply set a higher standard for people to join the CF and once they are in be able to concentrate on training soldiers?

Isn't it basically like letting someone who failed the CFAT test join and telling  them that we will house feed clothe and employ them while they study books to make themselves smarter and once they pass the basic requirements then we start training them.

No kidding. "You aren't fit enough to join the armed forces. So we'll pay you for up to three months until you get there".

No, sorry, B.S. People in the regs should be tested before enrolement just like in the reserves, and those not in good enough shape should be told 'here's what you need to work on; come back when you can do it' and sent packing.

I'm in a similar boat. I passed the physical evaluation with relative ease, but barely passed the grip strength, and was told by the evaluator guy to work on my strength (I'm pretty skinny and have decent cardio, but I'm skin and bones). I quickly found out you don't need to have a gym, a couple of dumb bells and a kettlebell were all I needed, and I work out in my basement. I started working out every other day, it was hard at first but now I enjoy it. If you can, try and get friends to work out with you, it helps a lot if you have people to do it with. Literally, just take everyone else's advice, and just do it (Nike). This is from someone who before this had never worked out a day in his life.

I agree completely, Brihard!  We (yes that includes me) should have been tested even before the interview process.  Maybe one day they will figure out that it's a waste of funding not to test possible candidates prior to sending them off to basic.

And maybe those who are sitting on PAR (for 6-8 weeks at a time) and actually WANT to go home should be released in a more timely manner.  That could save a few bucks too.

Im in the same boat you are. I have BMQ in 17 days and Im pretty much screwed. The application process for the forces went much quicker than I though and I may have overestimated my own abilities. If you don't pass the express test right away you get sent to warrior preparation company and youre tested after 30 days, 60 days, and 90 days. After any of which if you then pass the express test youre assigned to the next BMQ, and after 90 if you still cant pass youre released from the forces. If you cant do at least a few push ups or situps youre dismissed outright and it could be a long time before you could re-enlist in the forces.

Good news is though is that you can significantly increase the number of push ups and situps you can do in a somewhat short period of time by doing exercises at home. For sit ups, stick your feet under the coach or bookcase (or any other piece of furniture you can secure your feet under) and work from there. For push ups, put your back back at say 35-45 degrees, spread your arms on the wall and push (like stand up push ups), and put your feet back further the more push-ups you do. Also doing knee push ups helps. Essentially, just go on your knees and do push ups. Its what Im doing and the Medic at the recruiting center recommended the wall push ups for me, so they must be a half decent exercise at least

Proud_Newfoundlander said:
Im in the same boat you are. I have BMQ in 17 days and Im pretty much screwed. The application process for the forces went much quicker than I though and I may have overestimated my own abilities. If you don't pass the express test right away you get sent to warrior preparation company and youre tested after 30 days, 60 days, and 90 days. After any of which if you then pass the express test youre assigned to the next BMQ, and after 90 if you still cant pass youre released from the forces. If you cant do at least a few push ups or situps youre dismissed outright and it could be a long time before you could re-enlist in the forces.

Good news is though is that you can significantly increase the number of push ups and situps you can do in a somewhat short period of time by doing exercises at home. For sit ups, stick your feet under the coach or bookcase (or any other piece of furniture you can secure your feet under) and work from there. For push ups, put your back back at say 35-45 degrees, spread your arms on the wall and push (like stand up push ups), and put your feet back further the more push-ups you do. Also doing knee push ups helps. Essentially, just go on your knees and do push ups. Its what Im doing and the Medic at the recruiting center recommended the wall push ups for me, so they must be a half decent exercise at least

If you get sent to WFT, you will have a practice test every Monday.  If you reach the required amt on the beep test and/or push-ups, then you will be retested on the Wednesday, and if you are successful at all 4 components then you will be loaded on the next platoon.

MedTech Hopeful said:
If you get sent to WFT, you will have a practice test every Monday.  If you reach the required amt on the beep test and/or push-ups, then you will be retested on the Wednesday, and if you are successful at all 4 components then you will be loaded on the next platoon.

Thanks. Im just going by what the staff at the CF recruiting center told me

MedTech Hopeful said:

Thanks, I wondered how that worked.

Proud_Newfoundlander said:
Also doing knee push ups helps. Essentially, just go on your knees and do push ups.

I'm not sure if I read this right but honestly man in my opinion a 24 year old male who needs to do pushups on his knees should not have been course loaded on BMQ.

Good on you for wanting to serve. It takes humility to admit that, I can only hope potential CF members read posts like yours and learn from it but I really wonder the mindset when someone with that kind of level of fitness decides to join and what they think the military is about. Come on guys and girls.

My suggestion is don't waste your time on knee pushups. Do regular push ups. 

Do they let new recruits on warrior platoon have access to the gym right away?

ObedientiaZelum said:
I'm not sure if I read this right but honestly man in my opinion a 24 year old male who needs to do pushups on his knees should not have been course loaded on BMQ.

Good on you for wanting to serve. It takes humility to admit that, I can only hope potential CF members read posts like yours and learn from it but I really wonder the mindset when someone with that kind of level of fitness decides to join and what they think the military is about. Come on guys and girls.

My suggestion is don't waste your time on knee pushups. Do regular push ups. 

Do they let new recruits on warrior platoon have access to the gym right away?

I can do regular push ups, but I supplement regular push ups with knee push ups sometimes. Theyre not just for those having difficulties. For the most part I mentioned them as a useful exercise for at home to the guy who started this thread.

And yeh, all recruits get access tro gym equipment

Phew.

I still disagree with the knee pushups but at least you can do real ones heh.

My daughter went to cflrs and failed her express test for push ups.  She didn't give up.  She went to warrior platoon for almost 90 days and passed.  She went to platoon.  She absolutely loved everything about it and did very well.  Her pushups improved but only to 7 counted.  She retested in week 10 and failed again.  Having used up her time in warrior, she will now have to go home.  Does anyone else think this is a little absurd?  The military has invested so much time and money on her and now they just release her when she is so close?  Especially when they know that in the next year this test will no longer exist??  It just seems like such a waste of effort.  She really did excel otherwise.  She is strong, no problems with the 13k ruck march or obstacle course.  Is it possible that pushups aren't really a good measure of strength?  The army must think so or they wouldn't be changing the express test.  Anyway. That's just my thoughts.

I actually think its absurd your daughter even got a chance to stay or even a flight to St. Jean without passing the minimum fitness standards. The CF can afford to be selective now, and isn't a place you should be trying to get people in shape. They should show up with that minimum level of fitness we require, and not be paid taxpayer's dollars to work out for 3 months because for whatever reason they showed up unprepared. Pushups are a level of fitness, and work fine. Take this from a person who is built to run, and before I actually started training properly pushups were a challenge. The 13k ruck is an exercise on turning your brain off and walking.  :2c:

Back