• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Not meeting physical requirments

Chin ups are not part of the express test.  I've seen your other posts regarding PT,  if you are so concerned regarding your fitness level perhaps you shouldn't have accepted your offer. IMO you should already be at a decent level of physical fitness before leaving for BMQ,  especially for someone who wants Combat Arms like yourself.

You probably could have asked this question in the other PT thread you are active in also.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/109357/post-1221589/topicseen.html#msg1221589

Proud_Newfoundlander said:
but never long distance (usually don't run for anymore than a quarter KM)......I felt I would do well with running (even my mother said ignore the running youre a good runner,

You didn't run any more then 250m and you thought you were a good runner?  And your mom told you not do worry about running... maybe mom shouldn't be your go too for fitness regarding the Military.

If you never ran more then 250m at a time and are having issues with now running 2.5kms... well you have good reason to worry about running long distances as anything under 5kms is pretty short.  As well you think you can do the required pushups and situps, well I'd hope so as the minimum is pretty low.  Do you know the proper form for the push ups and sit ups?

IMO you should have a long honest look at your self and your physical abilities at this point; as you don't have much time left until you leave for BMQ. 

When I did my processing the medic had me do a few push-ups. Thats about the only real physical task they had me do before St.Jean.

Being prepared in the long run is definitely a good thing, obviously. Ive always been a walker/jogger, but never long distance (usually don't run for anymore than a quarter KM). Now that Im practicing running 2.5+ km Im getting shin splints. Its ironic, I felt I would do well with running (even my mother said ignore the running youre a good runner, focus on push-ups) and struggle with push-ups/sit-ups, but I think I can do the required push-ups/situps without to much problem, but its long distance running that may become an issue.

Keep in mind there is a difference between sore legs/shins from not being fit or from not being used to jogging and actual shin splints.

What *IS* the actual physical fitness requirement for someone (say 20 year old male) at BMQ. 19 push ups, situps, is there an actual running portion?

ObedientiaZelum said:
What *IS* the actual physical fitness requirement for someone (say 20 year old male) at BMQ. 19 push ups, situps, is there an actual running portion?

Level 6 on the 20m shuttle run

Here is the minimum standards for the express test and threshold fitness test
http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/menu/ps/rec/ec-pf/index-eng.asp

-Skeletor- said:
You didn't run any more then 250m and you thought you were a good runner?  And your mom told you not do worry about running... maybe mom shouldn't be your go too for fitness regarding the Military.

If you never ran more then 250m at a time and are having issues with now running 2.5kms... well you have good reason to worry about running long distances as anything under 5kms is pretty short.  As well you think you can do the required pushups and situps, well I'd hope so as the minimum is pretty low.  Do you know the proper form for the push ups and sit ups?

IMO you should have a long honest look at your self and your physical abilities at this point; as you don't have much time left until you leave for BMQ.

Im talking about hauling arse, running as fast as you can.  Short distance running. I can "lightly jog" and still pass within the minimum requirements of the express test. Im just worried that my lower legs may not be able to handle it. Ive been running for a while, and practicing running for the CF for some time, and only now am I getting this problem.

ObedientiaZelum said:
Keep in mind there is a difference between sore legs/shins from not being fit or from not being used to jogging and actual shin splints.

If you're accustomed to running you know the difference. Shin splints are like shooting sharp pains up your shin. Almost feels like its the actual shin bone.

-Skeletor- said:
Chin ups are not part of the express test.  I've seen your other posts regarding PT,  if you are so concerned regarding your fitness level perhaps you shouldn't have accepted your offer. IMO you should already be at a decent level of physical fitness before leaving for BMQ,  especially for someone who wants Combat Arms like yourself.

You probably could have asked this question in the other PT thread you are active in also.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/109357/post-1221589/topicseen.html#msg1221589

..and merged.

Im talking about hauling arse, running as fast as you can.  Short distance running.

I believe the word you are looking for is sprinting

I can "lightly jog" and still pass within the minimum requirements of the express test.
Not sure what you mean by "lightly jog".  Also do you know you can reach level 6 on the express test,  or just assuming? 

Im just worried that my lower legs may not be able to handle it. Ive been running for a while, and practicing running for the CF for some time, and only now am I getting this problem.

Perhaps you are running to much/overexerting yourself.  Are you taking breaks from running,  ie not running everyday?  As for running on course I would recommend being able to run more then the 2.5km runs you can currently able to do before going to BMQ.  IMO,  being able to run 5kms at a 5min per km pace is good for BMQ,  if you can run longer/faster even better.

Thanks.

Proud_Newfoundlander.
Do a search online for the beep test (20MSR) mp3 and download it. Put it on an ipod or even car stereo.  Measure out 20 meters or whatever it is on a road somewhere and practice the test. See how high you can get to. If you can suck ass and get up to 6 or 6 and a half you should be good. If you blow an o-ring at like 2 or 3 then you're not ready.

Put all the worrying hand ringing and guessing to rest, take a night and go test yourself and you'll have your answers.

Here's the beep test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz27yLH30uY

Unless things have changed, you WILL run around the outside of the CFLRS garrison and I can promise you it will not just be "a light jog" and it is definitely more than 250m.  You will not set your own pace.  Your job will be to keep up to the pace set.  You will be stopping to do pushups, situps, etc at intervals on this run.

On top of this 'morning run' PT, there will be:

- PT classes
- going up and down the stairs to get to your room(elevator use is prohibited for recruits).  The Mega has 14 or so floors.  Do the math.
- drill classes (seriously)
- obstacle course
- you march everywhere

Starting to see why 'able to do more than the minimums in the EXPRES' doesn't cut it?  EXPRES min's don't give an ability to perform the required training...and you CAN fail BMQ even if you pass the EXPRES. 

When you say 2,3, or 6 do you mean those as levels of the Beep test (sry, Im very unfamiliar with the beep test)

The beep test sucks. I've always found it harder than actually running the 2.4km.

Bomb Disposal Bob said:
The beep test sucks. I've always found it harder than actually running the 2.4km.

Sure, but they test different things. Beep test is supposed to be a pretty decent predictor of VO2 max since you go to failure.

Bomb Disposal Bob said:

That's kind of the point.  The beep test gets tougher the longer you go, while in the 2.4 you either keep the same pace or slow down as you reach the end.  I can't remember what the CAF standard for the 2.4 was, but in the RAAF the 2.4 pace was roughly the same as a Level 5-6 in the CAF beep test.

The good thing about the beep test is it is a sprint A-B and isn't a constant speed with quick turns of 180 degrees.  You do not get that with a steady state run.

The beep test is a joke, I managed an exempt without breaking a sweat.  You do not go to failure, you go until exemption, after that you are just a glory hound.
;-)

Disagree.  There is nothing wrong with performing to 100%.

I guess anyone who tried to finish the BFT before 'the max allotted time' was a gloryhound or someone who tried to better the CF Ironman time?

Lets not even begin to talk about those gloryhounds who place 1st on courses, etc...

I think you took my comment the wrong way.

Comparing the Beep test to the military Ironman(or any Ironman) is up there with saying the round orange thing is in fact an apple.

Is there a special prize for placing first on the Beep test other then hearing the clapping from fellow recruits?

My point, and as dull as it is, was simply to state there is no benefit once you get exempt status to your life in the military.  If there is a difference in some way between hitting a Lvl 13 and hitting a lvl 14 to your career in the military I must have missed that part.  Please let me know if I am out in left field.

Jschamber said:
What do you guys think about heading into the forces while I barely meet the physical fitness requirements?

I want to get into shape, but where I live, I find it hard to get the motivation to keep working out on a daily basis.  I live in a small town, ~300 people, and I live an hour away from any city or large town. I have my license yet, but no vehicle, so I can't drive myself there.

I was thinking, if I do a bit of exercise, as I still have a while before I even get in, but go in with doing what I can, then working my *** off while I am there. I know this will put extra stress on me, and, I might be underestimating basic training, but I think I can handle they bit of extra stress.

I just want your guy's opinion on the matter.

To the OP -You don't need a car or equipment to run or do push-ups. Those are the 2 things on the expres test people have issues with.

So just run run run, and the days in between work on pushups :)

Back