• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Off-duty medic highway hero

dangerboy

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Off-duty medic highway hero

Apr 07, 2008 04:30 AM
Sarah Boesveld
Josh Wingrove
Staff Reporters

An off-duty Canadian Forces medic saved the lives of several young men after their speeding van lost control, flipped over and caught fire on Highway 401 early yesterday.

Four of the seven occupants – all in their teens and early 20s – were thrown from the van and are in serious condition in hospital. Police said none of the four ejected men was wearing a seatbelt; the three who were belted in received only minor injuries.

Investigators agree the crash could have been worse – much worse – had Patrick Chatelain not been driving by.

The 27-year-old medic, still in uniform, was heading home from a national paramedic competition in Durham Region around midnight when he saw the crash in an eastbound 401 lane near the Avenue Rd. overpass.

Chatelain saw flames erupting from the bottom of the overturned van as he pulled over, and quickly grabbed a fire extinguisher from his trunk. As flames rippled toward the gas tank, Chatelain hopped the median and extinguished the fire.

Then he checked for victims.

"I broke the windows, crawled inside to make sure no one was left inside the vehicle. Then I scanned the area just to see who was injured and where they were.

"That's when I came across four patients strewn all over the highway," he said in an interview yesterday.

One was in the middle of the express lanes, another thrown against the guardrail and two were in the grassy ditch.

Three other off-duty paramedics and an off-duty police officer also happened upon the scene and spent the five minutes before emergency crews arrived helping Chatelain deal with the seriously injured victims.

Chatelain, who was reluctant to take credit for the rescue, knew two of the paramedics, one from York Region and another from Peel, where Chatelain works full-time as an advanced paramedic.

With only plastic gloves and one stethoscope between them, the five professionals managed to keep all four of the badly injured young men alive.

One of the men in the ditch suffered severe head injuries and his airway was blocked with blood and vomit, Chatelain said.

"He was moaning, but he wasn't answering our questions," he said.

That patient and one other went to Sunnybrook hospital and underwent emergency surgery.

There was nothing unusual about the help he gave, Chatelain said.

"Helping people out, whether we're on the job, driving on the road, on vacation, it's what we do. It's who we are."

The seven men were heading home in a Pontiac Montana van belonging to one of their fathers after dinner.

OPP Const. Dave Woodford said the van was going faster than the speed limit, although alcohol was not a factor.

The van driver, who faces charges, lost control at high speed in the left express lane of Highway 401, tilted onto two wheels and veered to the right, across four express lanes of traffic. It then hit the guardrail separating express and collector lanes, throwing the four unbelted occupants out of the vehicle.

The van then flipped on its roof, slid back across the four lanes of traffic, hitting another car before coming to a stop against the far left guardrail.

On the other side of the highway a 27-year-old passerby was the first to stop when she saw a man writhing in pain, lying in the same lane as the car she was riding in.

"I saw a guy rolling around in pain on the ground," said the woman, who asked to be identified only as Asma. "There was a lot of skin and blood from his head on the road."

The 19-year-old was conscious, and Asma held him down, talking to him and keeping him alert until paramedics arrived. He told her his name was Rasheed, and that he and his friends had been out for a steak dinner in Vaughan Mills and were heading to their Thorncliffe Park area homes. He told her they hadn't been drinking, and said he was, in fact, wearing his seatbelt.

"He knew what day of the week it was, he knew where he went, he knew his name," said Asma, who has no medical training.

"We held his head down and his knees together just to make sure he wouldn't move. I was just trying to keep him awake."

The four thrown from the car were taken to hospital, two of them in critical condition.

"He is in serious condition," said a distraught Ahmed Jeebhai, father of Farhad, 16, one of the four boys thrown from the car. "No eyes open, no nothing."

Jeebhai said his son had gone out with his friends for the night, and was heading home. Farhad has a G2 licence, but wasn't driving because of restrictions on such drivers.

One of three who wore seatbelts had minor injuries, while the other two, including the driver, weren't injured. OPP withheld the names of the seven men.

Police closed the 401 lanes until 6 a.m. as they investigated and cleaned up debris.

"The van was ripped apart," Woodford said. "You could see the tire marks going right across the road."

Woodford pointed to the role seatbelts played in keeping the three young men, who wore their belts, from serious harm.

No one was injured in the car that struck the sliding, upside-down van. Police ask that any witnesses call the OPP at 416-235-4981.

Article Link

good job to all the paramedics and hopefully soon I'll be joining their ranks :salute:

just to show medics and seat belts save lives

He should get a slap on the wrist for interfering with natural selection, some folks are too stupid to live.

Nicely Done Patrick!

I was at the competition earlier in the day to observe - Guess he went to the dinner afterwards - and I guess these guys were glad he did!

Watching the scenarios, one thing that stuck out in my mind was how poorly geared out the Reserve CF units  were and how we really need to do something about that... but thats another topic!

Again - great PR and good work

This is indeed good PR and those guys in the van were extremely fortunate, not just to have a Medic on scene, but other off-duty professionals.  Just remember that a military medic is only allowed to provide First Aid in these situations and nothing more, regardless of their military training.  However, it would seem (correct me if I'm wrong) that Patrick Chatelain is also a civilian paramedic.

That's fantastic! Good work, Patrick!

PMedMoe - I'm sure I'll become more familiar with the legalities behind treatment when I become a medic, but what level of training can a medic provide in the civvie world? What level of first aid?

Hell, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't, but there's laws to protect you if you do.

I hope the accident victims pull through, it's a hell of a price to pay for the 3-4 seconds it would have taken to buckle up.

PMedMoe said:
This is indeed good PR and those guys in the van were extremely fortunate, not just to have a Medic on scene, but other off-duty professionals.  Just remember that a military medic is only allowed to provide First Aid in these situations and nothing more, regardless of their military training.  However, it would seem (correct me if I'm wrong) that Patrick Chatelain is also a civilian paramedic.

He's a Reservist MCpl with 25 Fd Amb in Toronto.

Damn good job nonetheless. :salute:

the_midge said:
PMedMoe - I'm sure I'll become more familiar with the legalities behind treatment when I become a medic, but what level of training can a medic provide in the civvie world? What level of first aid?

You are only able to provide whatever level of civilian First Aid training you have.  For instance, military Medics are allowed to start IVs but you would not be able to start one on a civilian (in Canada, anyway).  But, yes, you are covered by the "Good Samaritan" Law.

I'm sure that SMMT will be here to correct any wrong info I may have given out!  ;)

Most of the medics are paramedics, but only in BC, once they finish their 3s.  A lot of them that get posted to Edmonton challenge the provincial testing for their EMT (AB paramedic).

A lot of what we can do is limited by the fact we are not licensed in Ont and we will most likely not be treating anyone in the military. 

I'm sure SMMT will add more to this one as well.

DM

We were very pleased to have the CF attend this years Competition!!

We had 2 Reserve teams, 1 Reg Force team and a recruiting booth. All did very well.

This guy was doing what he was trained to do. "Excellence through Challenge" is the Competitions motto. This guy was doing his duty.

Rob.

2008 Competition planning committee.

We would love to see more CF medics next year!!

the_midge said:
That's fantastic! Good work, Patrick!

Any person can offer another person assistant when they are injured.  If that person is concious, then they must give consent before you do anything.  If they are unconcious, then that consent is implied.
If you have zero training, and you help someone who is injured using due diligence (eg: if you render consentual assistance with a genuine view to help), then you are protected.  I believe that if you have first aid training in Quebec, and you see someone who is injured, you MUST, by law, offer assistance.

BZ to the medic!  This story was in the G and M today.  The part about the medic was buried deep in the story, a virtual one liner.  The other first responders were not mentioned.  BZ to all!

It was on the front page of the Toronto Star today and Patrick was interviewed on the radio this morning as well.

I think if you do first aid, and take control of the situation, save others...your fine! It's when you get into performing medical acts that you may find yourself in trouble.

I would hate to think there would be an issue with using any kind of first aid and scene control. Personally I would beg for forgiveness later (as long as I stayed in my scope) than let anyone die.

Civvymedic said:
It was on the front page of the Toronto Star today and Patrick was interviewed on the radio this morning as well.

I think if you do first aid, and take control of the situation, save others...your fine! It's when you get into performing medical acts that you may find yourself in trouble.

I would hate to think there would be an issue with using any kind of first aid and scene control. Personally I would beg for forgiveness later (as long as I stayed in my scope) than let anyone die.
If you render first aid against someone's intent (see my post above), then you are acting against their wishes.  Just stand back and await for them to go unconcious.

Civvymedic said:

That is why as a medic I don't carry around things that can get me into trouble.  If you don't have combi-tubes, IVs, meds, quick-clot or any of the other goodies that military or civi medics carry then you won't be tempted into using them even if you are positive it is the only thing that can save them.

DM

I hear what everyones saying. Feel the same way. I actually dont even have a first aid kit in my personal truck.

It's too bad, so many profesional responders driving around who really cant help as they should. Police have powers of arrest off duty I believe. Doctors and Nurses can treat off duty.

I guess this brings the whole professional college debate up. Self regulation anyone? :threat:

Probbably shouldent even go there, but it;s probbably coming. That MAY allow us to practice off duty.......

Civvymedic said:
I hear what everyones saying. Feel the same way. I actually dont even have a first aid kit in my personal truck.

It's too bad, so many profesional responders driving around who really cant help as they should. Police have powers of arrest off duty I believe. Doctors and Nurses can treat off duty.

I guess this brings the whole professional college debate up. Self regulation anyone? :threat:

Probbably shouldent even go there, but it;s probbably coming. That MAY allow us to practice off duty.......

Good Samaritan Act comes to mind again and again. I've got a jump kit in my car thats got everything minus hard collar and IV kits. I've stopped more then once to help and always employed my kit, no problems asked, not a single crew ever questioned me. They were happy that someone was able to lend a hand there... anyone with any amount of training can help people. As long as you don't stray off your training there's nothing that says you can't do something on or off duty. It's just whether YOU want to do it or not.

Great Job!

Nice to read something good coming out of Toronto.....nope won't go there...at least on this thread.

Back