• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officer exchange....

Sheerin

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question before I go out and waste some of cash...

From what i gather we do particpate in officer exchange programs with our allies, i was just wondering how many officers/NCMs actually do it and if its a difficult program to get into?
Also, do our submariners particpate as well?  And is it with our allies wth operate SSKs only or can they join the crews of a British or American SSN?

I have met a few Eng. Officers who have served with the A.O.R..
I don't know what the selection criteria is but it is not a swan as what was passed on as ours try too out do the host Nation and on average we do
We post from all Combat Arms,Navy and Air Force.
It's not a given posting!!

My Squadron commander on my QL3 was an exchange officer from the royal signals regiment in the UK. Being a lowly private I wasn't privileged to all the details of the posting but apparently there was a Canadian taking his place back in England.

Sheerin said:
Hey guys, quick question before I go out and waste some of cash...

From what i gather we do particpate in officer exchange programs with our allies, i was just wondering how many officers/NCMs actually do it and if its a difficult program to get into?
Also, do our submariners particpate as well?   And is it with our allies wth operate SSKs only or can they join the crews of a British or American SSN?

Not having the same equipment is not a big concern. At present we've got a Royal Navy Lt at my Sqn flying Sea Kings and I'll be on my Sea King course with two USN pilots. I had a USAF Maj as my flight commander in Moose Jaw and a German Tornado pilot as my instructor. Some places are more common to get exchanges, others are more difficult. In any case you can't be the run of the mill career Capt, I would fathom a guess it's like any posting, those that are higher on the merit list have a better chance of getting the exchanges.

Cheers

The Army gave up its Regimental exchanges in 98 - and it is just coincidence that I was the last Patricia to do the exchange...

We still have a number of staff and instructional type exchanges though.

Like Inch inferred to, flying exchanges are few and far between.  The CF has by far more foreign exchange pilots flying CF aircraft than we have CF pilots flying foreign aircraft.  In the past we had up to 2 CF pilots flying C-17s with the USAF.  They flew combat missions into Iraq  and Afghanistan.  A buddy of mine is also on exchange down to the USAF flying the F-16.  At 442 we have a US Coast Guard helicopter pilot that is flying the Cormorant in its SAR role.  407 Sqn has a P-3 Orion driver from the USN checked out on the Aurora too.

My father did two (was offered an additional two) exchange tours in the US. First one was with a Joint EW group in San Antonio TX, and the second was with a F-16/F-15 group in Tyndall Panama City Florida.
I think we knew an Aurora driver who was flying US DEA P-3s (out of Corpus Christie TX).

He turned down a Colorado and a Prague job.

I went to high school in San Antonio, and went "home" during University semester breaks in Florida. It was a tough gig.

From what I understand exchange tours are as difficult to find as a virgin army nurse. ;)

Back