• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officer Language Requirements

DustyFoot

Inactive
Reaction score
I did search for topics related to this and didn't find anything. So sorry if they do already exist.

Anyway, I have heard two different stories on the language requirements for officers. The CF recruiting website seems to say that all officers take second language training after Basic Officer Training.

But.....Other people have told me that only senior officers, higher than Major need to be proficient in French.....

So whats the real story? Anyone know?

Both are correct.

All officers (except pilots at times) will do second language training after basic training. Your second language profile has no real meaning until you're looking for a promotion to Major. I know it hasn't done squat for me.

Just wanted to add to this that it is only for Reg Force officers.  Reserve officers only take second language training if it is required for their posting.

But do you have to pass the second language training to become an officer? Or you just take a course and you don't really need to pass a test, like sort of a basic introduction course?

DustyFoot said:
But do you have to pass the second language training to become an officer? Or you just take a course and you don't really need to pass a test, like sort of a basic introduction course?

There is no pass or fail. The course is 8 months and at the end you will be tested and given a language profile based on your results. X is the worst, then A, B, C and if you're really good, E for exempt which means you never have to do that particular test again. The tests are Reading, Writing and Oral interaction.

The only time that language training is vital to one's career is for our Franco brethren that are interested in becoming a pilot.  All pilot training and its many facets are taught in english only - therefore franco's must achieve a certain profile before leaving St-Jean.

Zoomie said:
The only time that language training is vital to one's career is for our Franco brethren that are interested in becoming a pilot.  All pilot training and its many facets are taught in english only - therefore franco's must achieve a certain profile before leaving St-Jean.

Well, that, and if you're an Anglo in the army and get posted to Valcartier... ;)

Back