• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officer life Reserve vs Regs and unit vs unit

Landmine Detector

Inactive
Reaction score
Greetings all

I am currently an armoured reserve 2Lt and am thinking about a CT to the Regs.  With this in mind what am I getting myself into? 

I am not too green so I expect that a reg force armoured Lt would finish phase 4 and get posted to a unit.  But what is life/work like at the unit?

Some guesses and questions: 
How soon/often would you be deployed?  For how long?
Would you enter the unit as a Trp Ldr?  What other appointments are common for brand new officers?
Do new officers get buried with secondary duties (I have heard rumors)?
With regard to these points what are the realities on the ground?  How about differences between the RCD and LDSH(RC) in that type of day to day stuff.
Any extra points from some crusty types are always good to!

Do you have a relative by the first name of Andrew?

Just currious

Regards

Oh well.....if he were he could help you out lots.

I'm sure that there are plenty of us Zipperheads here that can help you out.

Regards

Okey dokey, I'll give it a whirl.

I was an armoured officer in the Reserves (1st Hussars) for about seven years before component transfering to the Regular Force (RCD). 

The overwhelmingly most common first appointment for a newly qualified Armour officer at a Regiment is Troop Leader.  That being said, if you come in with a big crop (more than six or seven officers) you may find yourself waiting in the wings as an Liaison Officer (LO) or an assistant to someone.  This is never intentional, but sometimes it works out that way.  Its pointless to worry about it, so don't try to submarine course mates to avoid this.  Karma will punish you for this by reincarnating you as a donkey in Afghanistan .>:D

In theory, you should Troop Lead for at least two years.  Some do three.  Some do one.  Your going on deployment will depend on the tempo.  During my last three year tour at the Regiment practically all of the subbies who arrived deployed at some time.  Some waited two years, some waited six months.  Its luck of the draw.  After three years you should find yourself posted to either a Reserve Unit as RSS or to the School as an instructor.  If it all works out you will then come back after three years as a Captain.

You should get at least one secondary duty.  Take it seriously and do it well, since the grown-ups will notice when it isn't done (since you are often the only one doing it and they get nasty letters from Base when things get neglected).  Don't let it preoccupy your time, but if you are spending your workdays browsing Army.ca you could probably afford to do the Fire Prevention Inspection.  If you are at the RCD then you need to take your turn setting up coffee for your brother officers.  Do not screw this up.  Believe me.  Especially donut day.

I can't really comment on the difference between the RCD and LdSH(RC), having only served in the RCD.  I will generalize that the Strathconas tend to take being a "subbie" a little more seriously than we do.  Both have fairly active mess lives.  Both have traditions and share aspects of being in the Armoured Corps.  Beyond that cosmetic stuff the real difference is that as a Dragoon you will be Recce and as a Strathcona you will be Direct Fire Support (although they still had a Recce Sqn when I was in Edmonton this past fall).  You should be happy in either Regiment, although of course in private I would recommend that you go Dragoon (if I like you).

If you do get to be a Troop Leader in any of our three Regular Force regiments then listen to your Tp WO and Battle Captain.  Take it easy at first if you can.  Take care of your troops.  Don't worry about your career.  Have fun but be accountable for your fun.  Did I mention that you should listen to your Tp WO?  Don't take it hard when he counsells you behind closed doors.  He is doing you a huge favour.  While you are at it, listen to your gunner on a Coyote or your loader on a tank.  He is often a MCpl about to take a callsign of his own and has been picked for that jo.  On exercise he can be a wealth of ready information.

Best of luck!

2B

Back