• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officers with Ring on Pinky Finger

darkskye

Inactive
Reaction score
Hiya,

This might be a weird question, but I seem to see a lot of officers with a plain sliver ring on their pinky finger, is there something to it or am I crazy?

That's probably an engineers ring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Ring

All graduates of engineering programs in Canada usually get that ring at a ceremony, it serves as a reminder for professional ethics.

Foresters get a silver ring for their pinky too, similar to the engineers iron ring (but better  :D )
They are provided to graduates by the Canadian Institute of Forestry.

I always thought the only people who wore pinky rings were these guys.  8)

sopranos.jpg

tree hugger said:
Foresters get a silver ring for their pinky too, similar to the engineers iron ring (but better  :D )

Silver? Shouldn't that be wood?

tree hugger said:

Imitation is the best form of flattery.  Everyone wants to look like an engineer.  ;D

Good enough to know the difference between then and than!

:nana:

rezz said:
Hiya,

This might be a weird question, but I seem to see a lot of officers with a plain sliver ring on their pinky finger, is there something to it or am I crazy?
http://ironring.ca/

Rookie Green said:
Yup- I know the graduating students at my university are getting their's next week, and I should have mine about a year from now. It's an interesting story- The iron is intended to signify the loss of lives due to the improper engineering of the Quebec Bridge, and it's worn on the pinky so that every time an engineer works on any sort of plans, it drags across the paper, reminding them of their responsibilities and commitment to ethics.

If that story/reason is actually true, that's actually pretty good.  I enjoyed learning that. 

Strike said:
Good enough to know the difference between then and than!

:nana:

:pullhair:

Haha I figured you'd pick up on that, a friend of mine made it but your post reminded me of it. The best part about the error is that he's an arts student, for some reason their mistakes always seem funnier to me. :facepalm:

and some married men get a ring too . . .  right through the nose.  ;D

My pinky ring cost $1.00 when I received it in 1976. I used to say it cost $20,000 that was the price of 4 years of higher education at that time. (tuition, room and board, all in)

tree hugger said:
For foresters:

http://www.cif-ifc.org/site/silver_ring_program

Sorry TH, but engineer rings have a much better story to them.  :nod:

Iron rings are so common that they might as well represent the common cold!  ;)

All the cool kids have the Forester one!

Actually, we real cool kids got ours from Mordor.  ;)

It didn't burn near as much as the wedding band.....

Back