• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OMLT and Training

BDTyre

Reaction score
I'm currenty tasked as NSE for TF 3-09, but I've put my name in for OMLT.  It seems like a good choice, but no one at the regiment has done it.  I'm not going to assume I'll get an OMLT position, but I'd like to know a little more about it.  I'm certain people on here have done it.  What's the pre-deployment consist of, what's in-theatre like?  I've heard there is in-theatre training - does this mean I'd be training with ANA/ANP for X number of weeks and then we'd go out on operations with them?  Any info would be appreciated.

Mod: feel free to move this if its in the wrong area.

I would recommend that you stick with the NSE. The OMLT requires considerable expertise from its members. My opinion comes from looking at your profile, and my last tour. You may have attributes that the OMLT desires, but I don't know enough about you otherwise.

MM

Looking at your profile you won't be working as a Mentor, all the guys I met that were mentors out there were experianced Cpls, and NCOs, etc. There was the occasional Jr person, but they were all Reg Force.  All the Reservists that I saw that were OMLT were SECFOR(ie driving in convoys resupplying Strong Points, etc).

ModlrMike, you're quite right about me not having considerable expertise.  That said, it may end up that I just don't get into OMLT because of that.  I'm not too sure what positions they need filled or what the expectations would be - we just told that they needed 25 or so people ranging from Private to Captain.

Skeletor - thanks for that update.  I had a feeling I wouldn't be a mentor, but I wasn't sure what would be out there.

-Skeletor- said:
Looking at your profile you won't be working as a Mentor, all the guys I met that were mentors out there were experianced Cpls, and NCOs, etc. There was the occasional Jr person, but they were all Reg Force.  All the Reservists that I saw that were OMLT were SECFOR(ie driving in convoys resupplying Strong Points, etc).

Actually you've got it backwards in your reg and reserve positions. ON 1-08, SECFOR was all reg force (except 1), mostly recce platoon guys. All the other reserve positions we had in the OMLT ended up in other positions, many of them in the Mentor teams themselves. That being said, the reserve guys that were on the OMLT were at least CPL and went up from there.

cheers.

yukon said:
Actually you've got it backwards in your reg and reserve positions. ON 1-08, SECFOR was all reg force (except 1), mostly recce platoon guys. All the other reserve positions we had in the OMLT ended up in other positions, many of them in the Mentor teams themselves. That being said, the reserve guys that were on the OMLT were at least CPL and went up from there.

cheers.

Yukon

Each TF will be different.  It all will depend on how the TF Comd will organize his various units as. 

yukon said:

cheers.

I know most of the SECFOR guys I saw were Patricia's but I was pretty sure I saw atleast a couple of Reservists with them.  I wasn't aware there were many Reservists acting as Mentors, I didn't doubt there were Reservists doing it(I know of a Reserve MCpl in the Mentor role), just didn't think there was a great number. 

Hmm...either way, I probably would end up security.  There's a slim chance of a promotion in the coming months, but I doubt it will happen before I head for pre-deployment.

The mentoring team consist of 2 x pte/cpl 1 x WO and 1 x capt.  You may end-up there.  I'm on TF 1-09, one of member of my team his a pte of 18 mounth in regF.  It's a big challenging task.  If you joint early, thay will take the time to give you good instruction.

George Wallace said:
Yukon

Each TF will be different.  It all will depend on how the TF Comd will organize his various units as. 

George, fully understand that each units ORBAT will change over time. Was just stating what the org was like on our tour with respect to reservist and reg force positions. Either way, res. or reg it is fully possible a soldier wont end up in the role assigned prior to going over once actually on the ground. Who would have thought things could change once in country ;D ...very true for the OMLT/POMLT as so many of the manning issues are intertwined with the various ANA/ANP units.

-Skeletor- said:
I wasn't aware there were many Reservists acting as Mentors, I didn't doubt there were Reservists doing it(I know of a Reserve MCpl in the Mentor role), just didn't think there was a great number.  

Your right on that part...there didn't seem to be that many of them within the OMLT to begin with.

cheers.

Your right on that part...there didn't seem to be that many of them within the OMLT to begin with.

On TF 1-09, I would say around 15 to 20 % are reservist.  In my Kandak, thers is 5 out of 28 !

Cheers

Being with the SECFOR myself on TF 1-09, I can tell you that our SECFOR only uses experienced personnel. My CO prefer having them there and use younger guys in PSS's or even in kandak as driver / gunners. Experienced soldiers will probably stick with SECFOR or Training Kandak for their expertise and knowledge of the terrain.

Hope it helps you.

Back