• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

On the Job Training / Experience (OJT / OJE) [Merged]

Similar to some of the other questions posted in this topic:

-Which post-BMOQ posting options for OJT are available / likely for married officers living midway between Calgary & Edmonton? I'm waiting on an offer for the pilot occupation, and would like to move my family to Moose Jaw (which I understand would be at my own expense) should I receive the offer. Is there a way to arrange the MJ posting, and if so, how would one go about that? Otherwise, would the default be a posting to Edmonton or Calgary? Any relevant advice or direction would be appreciated.

Thank you for the great content on this forum.

Regards,

-eptam

Further to my previous post re: posting scenarios. (and for anyone interested, I got posted to Edmonton).

Does anyone know if it is possible to split OJT during the week:
2 days at a reserve unit (that doesn't employ my occupation), doing administrative/other work, and
3 days at my normal unit?

The reason I'm asking is because I'd like to volunteer with the air cadets sqn that my son is planning to join when he turns 12, but as it is on Tuesday evenings, the 2-hour one-way drive makes it challenging to go back & forth during the week. Thus, if possible, I'd work 2 days near home, getting cross-training on another trade, and 3 days at my normal unit.

Thank you!

Respectfully,

-eptam

eptam said:
Further to my previous post re: posting scenarios. (and for anyone interested, I got posted to Edmonton).

Does anyone know if it is possible to split OJT during the week:
2 days at a reserve unit (that doesn't employ my occupation), doing administrative/other work, and
3 days at my normal unit?

The reason I'm asking is because I'd like to volunteer with the air cadets sqn that my son is planning to join when he turns 12, but as it is on Tuesday evenings, the 2-hour one-way drive makes it challenging to go back & forth during the week. Thus, if possible, I'd work 2 days near home, getting cross-training on another trade, and 3 days at my normal unit.

Thank you!

Respectfully,

-eptam

Staff a memo up your chain of command.

Worst thing they'll say is no.

I did my enrollment over Skype in May for ACSO; just waiting on a BMOQ date now. I'm trying to make arrangements for my kid (separated) and my belongings, but need a little more info.

1) I found this thread on reddit yesterday. https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadianForces/comments/5xo8yf/any_recommendations_for_air_force_base/

Are these the only options for ACSO OJT: Winnipeg, Greenwood, Comox, Shearwater, Trenton.
Could I OJT in Wainwright, where my daughter lives with ex-spouse?

MotherGoose said:
I did my enrollment over Skype in May for ACSO; just waiting on a BMOQ date now. I'm trying to make arrangements for my kid (separated) and my belongings, but need a little more info.

1) I found this thread on reddit yesterday. https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadianForces/comments/5xo8yf/any_recommendations_for_air_force_base/

Are these the only options for ACSO OJT: Winnipeg, Greenwood, Comox, Shearwater, Trenton.
Could I OJT in Wainwright, where my daughter lives with ex-spouse?

To the best of my knowledge, there are no aircraft permanently stationed in Wainwright, and thus no air units to be employed with.  The intent of OJT/OJE is to give exposure to your career field, and provide you with an environment where you can learn from others in your field.  Wainwright would not offer you that environment.

dapaterson said:
To the best of my knowledge, there are no aircraft permanently stationed in Wainwright, and thus no air units to be employed with.  The intent of OJT/OJE is to give exposure to your career field, and provide you with an environment where you can learn from others in your field.  Wainwright would not offer you that environment.

Great, thank you. Does that mean Cold Lake would be an option?

In theory perhaps, but the majority of ACSOs are employed with maritime helicopters, ISR (Auroras) and transport, so the most probable locations would be the bases you previously listed.  I do not know how large the ACSO community is in Cold Lake.

However, don't be hesitant to ask for an OJE placement that 'works' for your QOL, as well.  Example, if you have shared custody, etc.  This also can become a factor if there are long delays in waiting for courses;  I've recently (March of this year) requested and had a member sent back from a Sqn to a unit closer to their NOK (allowing the mbr to reside with their spouse while waiting initial occupation training), because of the QOL/financial implications factors outweighing the 'benefit' of OJE at a fleet they could end up on.  This factor may be considered with more weight now, with the impact on trg that COVID has and may had;  wait times for coursing could lengthen for ACSOs. 

OJE will give you some exposure to some of the aspects of a flying Sqn if you are at one, but I can tell you it is challenging at times to gainfully employ many BTL types at flying Sqn's as well. 

Ask for where you'd like with the necessary details of why;  the worst that you can get it "no".  :2c:

Eye In The Sky said:
However, don't be hesitant to ask for an OJE placement that 'works' for your QOL, as well.  Example, if you have shared custody, etc.  This also can become a factor if there are long delays in waiting for courses;  I've recently (March of this year) requested and had a member sent back from a Sqn to a unit closer to their NOK (allowing the mbr to reside with their spouse while waiting initial occupation training), because of the QOL/financial implications factors outweighing the 'benefit' of OJE at a fleet they could end up on.  This factor may be considered with more weight now, with the impact on trg that COVID has and may had;  wait times for coursing could lengthen for ACSOs. 

OJE will give you some exposure to some of the aspects of a flying Sqn if you are at one, but I can tell you it is challenging at times to gainfully employ many BTL types at flying Sqn's as well. 

Ask for where you'd like with the necessary details of why;  the worst that you can get it "no".  :2c:

Thanks for all this info. That's what I figured. It would certainly be ideal, but I don't want to get my (or my daughter's) hopes up.

MotherGoose said:
Thanks for all this info. That's what I figured. It would certainly be ideal, but I don't want to get my (or my daughter's) hopes up.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Good luck!

Back