• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Only in America-Rabbit Thief

Spr.Earl

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Police arrest 'rabbit thief', nine

The girl admitted stealing a rabbit, but not cash
A nine-old girl was arrested, handcuffed and taken to a police station after being accused of stealing a rabbit in Florida.
The girl began to cry during questioning, Pasco County sheriff's department said.

She admitted taking the rabbit from a neighbour's home, but denied stealing two $5 bills and some change, it said.

A sheriff's spokesman defended its approach, saying police are required to act if a crime victim wants an arrest.

The police report on the arrest said a sheriff's deputy had found the black-and-white rabbit, named Oreo, hopping around in the living room of the girl's home in New Port Richey.

Read her rights

She was read her rights and taken away in the back of a patrol car after the incident on Tuesday.

The public defender of Pasco-Pinellas, Bob Dillinger, said the deputy could have taken a report and referred the charges to the state attorney, rather than taking such strict action.

The girl was held in a juvenile assessment centre until she was released to her mother about an hour after her arrest.

The girl said her experience was scary - and that she had not liked the deputy.

"He put one handcuff on me really tight," she said.

And in the patrol car "he just stared at me in the mirror", she added.

Lori Ventura, the mother of the child who owns the rabbit, said the girl has been involved in other incidents and needed help.

To be honest I don‘t think it is. If children learn that stealing is wrong then they won‘t do it later when they‘re tempted to boost cars or attempt B&E‘s.

The victim‘s mother said the other child had been involved in "similar incidents" and "needed help." Maybe this will prevent something much worse down the road.

Slim,

Agreed. Took a whole neighbourhood of Dads kicking my butt to make me see the error of my (early) ways.

:)

I am not saying she should not be punished, but putting hand-cuffs on a nine year old child is excessive. The whole reason for hand-cuffing is to prevent the prisoners escape, and injury to officer. I doubt either would be likely. If a Canadian cop did the same thing, the public would be screaming for cop‘s head.

Good for the cop.

Harsh as it sounds, the girl was never in any danger. It was just a psychological thing.

I doubt she‘ll be stealing anything anytime soon.

Originally posted by The_Falcon:
[qb] I am not saying she should not be punished, but putting hand-cuffs on a nine year old child is excessive. The whole reason for hand-cuffing is to prevent the prisoners escape, and injury to officer. I doubt either would be likely. If a Canadian cop did the same thing, the public would be screaming for cop‘s head. [/qb]
That‘s because our "public" is composed of a bunch of rule-hating liberal *** pussies who can‘t stand the thought of being responsible for their own actions.

She has been taught a very important life lesson if you ask me. I do question reading her, her rights though? At 9 would she really understand them and the possible consequences of what the deputy said?

Only in America? Not really. I got busted a coupla times when I was 8 and 9 years old. The police did the same thing to me, sans handcuffs though. Took me to the police station in the back of the squad car--rather embarassing with all the "grown ups" seeing me back there knowing I was bad. I was questioned endlessly. Told what would happen to me if I kept breaking the law. Was tossed into a holding cell for a few hours. It didn‘t scar me psychologically, but it certainly helped to push home the idea that being a bad guy was not cool. I like to think I turned out alright. I don‘t give all the credit to those experiences of course, but I can say they helped a bit.

So I‘m with Slim on this one. This sort of reaction needs to happen more often.

Jeez guys..not a few years ago (40‘s and such) in my dads neighbourhood in England your fingers/hand got removed sans anesthisia(sp?) for ANY theft regardles of age, creed, color, the whole shebang. I say get them at an early age..this country is getting a bit too lenient.

Back