• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ontario Majority Government 2022-2026 (?)

Because I believe it came with conditions of "shovels in ground", not to just flip it.
1693401293372.png

the land in question.

I dont understand what concern of the province it is who does the development. Apparently according to the above these guys were always speculators with no ability to develop

Impact of policies outside of the greenbelt controversy

Interesting approach here.

Glass half full: Visible carrots linked to clear targets for municipalities, and could be a way to see where the logjams in getting houses built really are.

Glass half empty take: If municipalities aren't primarily what's holding up construction of new housing (NIMBY pressing on municipal councils? developer shenanigans? other things I can't imagine based on my now-old knowledge of this sort of stuff?), Queen's Park has a convenient scapegoat for houses not being built.
Latest on this ...
I dont understand what concern of the province it is who does the development. Apparently according to the above these guys were always speculators with no ability to develop
Well, if one can guarantee the second-order owner IS going to build, that's great, but how do you prevent flip upon flip upon flip with no houses being built?

Glass half full: Visible carrots linked to clear targets for municipalities, and could be a way to see where the logjams in getting houses built really are.

Glass half empty take: If municipalities aren't primarily what's holding up construction of new housing (NIMBY pressing on municipal councils? developer shenanigans? other things I can't imagine based on my now-old knowledge of this sort of stuff?), Queen's Park has a convenient scapegoat for houses not being built.

Latest on this ...

Well, if one can guarantee the second-order owner IS going to build, that's great, but how do you prevent flip upon flip upon flip with no houses being built?
you cant so what? There's no guarantee anyway. If it was a real issue the Ford government would work on getting the 1 million housing units already approved built not these imaginary ones that hes using to justify this land zoning swap

Rural take- we just got fucked and have no way to pay for the infrastructure needed to expand.

you cant so what? There's no guarantee anyway. If it was a real issue the Ford government would work on getting the 1 million housing units already approved built not these imaginary ones that hes using to justify this land zoning swap
Good point - which some might take as evidence that it might be the developers at least in part to blame (also realizing different municipalities may offer different combinations of issues). We'll see how the carrot & stick now pressed on municipalities works.

Tit for tat on that would harm Canadian interests more than it would help us.
Well, perhaps it's time to look at a different strategy. And would it really affect Canadian interests?

Or the personal interests of politicians? Unfortunately the two are often intertwined, they need to be decoupled.

There is still no requirement to sell our land to foreign interests. If they want to set up business, they can lease, with conditions. We maintain control of our sovereign land.

How would it be in Canada's interest if a foreign entity bought up every farm for sale in Manitoba, then decided to let it all go fallow?

How would it be in Canada's interest if a foreign entity bought up every farm for sale in Manitoba, then decided to let it all go fallow?
Probably not very well, but probably not very likely. Nothing would prevent the legislature from expediently legislating, say, an annual 25% tax on assessed value on fallow land in excess of some agriculturally reasonable fraction per farm.

Wrong way to go. We should have a current policy, that covers it. Not some knee jerk reaction from a bunch of special interest politicians when the panic sets in and wheat prices are going through the roof. Time and again, it's been proven that they'll just screw it up.

Fishbone Jones: -5 Social Credit Score.

‘Good Leader’ would be unpleased with such an approach.
Where does that put me in total? Around -15 or -20 so far I think. I'll soon be scouting out a squatter's spot under an overpass methinks. First thing on the agenda is to find a good sturdy shopping cart with four good wheels.

Where does that put me in total? Around -15 or -20 so far I think. I'll soon be scouting out a squatter's spot under an overpass methinks. First thing on the agenda is to find a good sturdy shopping cart with four good wheels.
Well you haven’t hit China yet, but you’re below sea level so far….
1693417540656.gif

View attachment 79739

the land in question.

It also seems to have heritage value, at least according to the Town of Ajax.

Foreign ownership of physical land in Canada should be against the law.
100%.

For that matter company ownership of single dwelling houses should also be illegal.

Those two actions wouldn’t solve the housing crisis, but it would put a good dent in prices.

100%.

For that matter company ownership of single dwelling houses should also be illegal.

Those two actions wouldn’t solve the housing crisis, but it would put a good dent in prices.

I'd like to see the data on that.

But for a subject that is so important to the platform of the current ruling party, preferably discussed in a hysterical fashion, I assume that emotion is a far higher priority than facts and figures ;)

But for a subject that is so important to the platform of the current ruling party, preferably discussed in a hysterical fashion, I assume that emotion is a far higher priority than facts and figures ;)
It might not make a huge difference in all areas but I can say where I live there is a lot of houses that were bought up by companies and left empty during the pandemic which are still empty today. That buy up increased prices by about double what they were before the pandemic (before hand someone on minimum wage could have owned a house on their own, now it is not possible). My city is 16k less than its peak, there should be a surplus not shortage of homes.

It would create true capitalism as your literally making it as capitalism was intended, a bunch of little guys competing with each other instead of the multimillion/billion companies which can just destroy competition (i.e. the 40 million Canadians whose limits are generally in the hundreds of thousands). It also prevents companies and groups from using the single dwelling homes as ‘investments’. Individuals would be able to buy single homes and rent them still, but they would also be on the hook if they can’t pay the mortgage.

Right now there is plenty of people who have created small companies just to hold their mortgages. That way if they default the ‘company’ just goes bankrupt and the individual is safe. This creates a willingness to pay more than is necessarily smart because the risk to the individual is non-existent which with property isn’t a good thing.

I'd like to see the equations (or models). I don't assume that the first new buyer into a neighbourhood, or the first one to drop out of it, necessarily affects pricing much. It's possible that it takes a few before the curve starts to slope dramatically.

I like how the solution is usually to build out (and ignore infrastructure/services cost) then to force inactive brownfield to be used first. With how gutted the manufacturing market has gotten seems like there is a lot of land that could be redeveloped to housing that is already in the city with infrastructure.

Back