• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Open officer trades

LittleMagellan

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anybody have a list of open officer trades? And what pre-reqs they may have (like a specific university degree, for example). I am looking to OT to preferably Int. I have a BA with honours in Political Science (if that helps at all).
Thanks,
LM

Thanks, but that doesn't really help me as they sometimes only offer certain trades through VOT, that are not available to people off the street. For instance, I know that in the past they usually only offered Int O to pers already in the forces, although they are a little more lenient in that regards now.

FYI, I found a link announcing the 2010/2011 OVOTP: http://www.cfsuo.forces.gc.ca/adm/pdp-pps/doc/ovotp-prvo-2010-2011-eng.pdf

Edit:

Just to note, according to that document you had to have your application in by Dec 09, so looks like anyone looking to VOTP is out of luck for the 2010/2011 year, which makes sense if they hold the selection board in Jan.

As well, in para 3, they state that "trained officers in any occupation may apply for VOT" IAW ADM(HR-MIL) INSTRUCTION 05/05 ( http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/pd/pi-ip/05-05-eng.asp#ins-03-02-01 ). I'm assuming what they mean by "trained" is fully MOC qualified? Or do they mean have basic training done?

I'm surprised that someone couldn't answer this question. There must be a BPSO or recruiter around that can answer which trades are open... or are going to open up soon.

If you go on the EMAA website, select careers and look through the ISS site you can get a couple of spreadsheets that outline OUTCAPS and other data.  If you go to the CFB Borden website and you look and the CFRG HQ website, you can find the production tables for this year which outline the amount of billets available for this fiscal year for EVERY trade in the CF. 

The production tables for next year FY10/11 will not be available until the Spring sometime as I understand it.  The reason for this is that all the data for all the trades gets submitted this quarter and all the numbers get crunched to figure out how many billets will be recruited for, this applies to forecasts for all the commissioning plans, i.e. ROTP, RETP, CEOTP, UTPNCM, DEO, etc as well as the applicable equivalent for the NCM trades.

If you use the data on both sites outlined above, along with the available historical data you would get an "idea" of what will be available. Nothing is final until the process I mentioned is done.

Disclaimer:  I am not a clerk, involved with recruiting or administration.  I looked into this when I was trying to figure out available positions for UTP in a specific trade.

Hope this helps.

UG

Open Officer trades for DEO are:

ACSO, Engineer (00180) MARS, NCSE, MS Eng.

For ROTP all are open.

Check out www.forces.ca for qualifiactions needed for these occupations.

Hey Uber...along the lines of what you just said...I was looking at the ISS site and on one of the pages it was forecasting  intake numbers for the next few Fiscal years.  The numbers were extremely small for all trades....ASCO I think only predicted 3 each year and I think Pilot was 5......zero for LOG, which I thought was strange....And the weird number was 50 each year for MARS!?!

It seemed to me CEOTP'ing into an aircrew trade might be tough.

Anyhow I hope,like you said, these numbers change in spring!

It depends on wether you are MOC qualified already or not.  If you are MOC qualified then its a program called the OVOP.  The board sits once per year and makes decisions.

If you are not MOC qualified then you would be asking for a voluntary reassignment.  In that case, only certain trades are open to move out of, and open to move into.  Currently, INT Officer is closed for voluntary reasignment.

If you go on the DIN and go to your base's website there should be a link to the PSO site.  From there look for selection services and you will eventually find the reassignment list.  These lists are updated monthly as things are always changing.

FDO said:
Open Officer trades for DEO are:

ACSO, Engineer (00180) MARS, NCSE, MS Eng.

For ROTP all are open.

Check out www.forces.ca for qualifiactions needed for these occupations.

Pardon my misunderstanding, but when you mention MARS as an open trade, does this apply to component transfers as well?

I was just speaking with the DMCA earlier this week and the individual I spoke with explained that they will not have any openings for MARS until the new fiscal year. Did I misunderstand them?

ltmaverick25 said:
It depends on wether you are MOC qualified already or not.  If you are MOC qualified then its a program called the OVOP.  The board sits once per year and makes decisions.

If you are not MOC qualified then you would be asking for a voluntary reassignment.  In that case, only certain trades are open to move out of, and open to move into.  Currently, INT Officer is closed for voluntary reasignment.

If you go on the DIN and go to your base's website there should be a link to the PSO site.  From there look for selection services and you will eventually find the reassignment list.  These lists are updated monthly as things are always changing.

PM inbound (or at least attempted)  :)

This time of year is usually a bad time for CTs.  Alot of the trades are full on the CT side and dont open up again until 1 Apr.  Basically, it just means that your application will be delayed by a few months while they wait for new positions to be allocated.  Aside from it being annoying, nothing to worry about.  Just wait it out.

Yes. It is more than understandable given the time of the year.

Can I send you a PM regarding contact info? Your inbox appears to be full :)

Currently at "CT Central" (DMCA) they have hired a bunch of temps to get through the back log. There are 2 people usually working in the office. According to inside sources they have had a huge run on CTs in the last few months (go figure). It will take a while to wade through the piles. Once it's done you can expect to hear from them. When that will be, I have no idea but it's best to plan to not go anywhere for a while. Exact time lines I don't have but I do know that they are trying to put everyone through as quickly as possible.

Getting out and reapplying is not a good option at this point.  It will mess up your continuous service time.

Hang in it will come.

ltmaverick25 said:
Didnt realize it was full.  Its fixed now, fire away.

Hmmm perhaps it's a problem on my end as I keep getting the same message. In any event, I just had a few questions regarding your experience going through the process. I'm sure we will be in touch soon.

@ FDO

Like the candidates who are in the application process, I am concerned that by the time my file is reached, they will have already met their quota for my desired trade. However, I am aware that it must be a frustrating process for the individuals who staff the DMCA also. Too bad they wouldn't hire me in the interim to assist in the process  ;)

I dont think its on  your end.  Ive sent a few PMs to people that normally send me replies and I got nothing back, so im thinking something is up with my inbox now.

As for my experience.  I did a CT from reserve MARS officer to reg force Int officer.  It took quite a while because Int was not open at the time, they had to wait about 9 months until 1 Apr 09 for the new allotments to come out.  After that, I was given a verbal offer, and was told they were waiting on finding a BIOC spot for me.  When that didnt happen because of the backlog, I was offered OJT.  That happened in Jul 09.  So it was a lengthy process.

I havent done a voluntary reassignment yet, though it is something I have inquired about given the long time I have to wait before trades training in my current MOC.

Yes, I hear BIOC has quite a lengthy wait for reg force members. But at least they offered OJT in lieu of sitting on the sidelines. When I inquired about INT, they stated that it would be at least a 2 year wait.

In my case, I am switching from MARS (Res) to MARS (Reg). It should be a relatively easy switch - but again, there are quite a few variables involved such as the workload the DMCA currently has/current projections for MARS o's for the new fiscal year and how many of those spots are already satisfied by the existing files at the CT office.

In short, I am worried. To add to my concern is that I have an upcoming job interview and while I do not want to leave the military at all, I am very tempted to take the job if successful given the uncertainty surrounding my transfer.

I know these circumstances are not unique and I know that the DMCA doesn't have a crystal ball, but I'd at least like to inquire about my concerns. As silly as it sounds, just hearing another voice on the end can be pretty effective when trying to sooth concerns. So if you have any advice on whom to contact, that would be great.

Affinity

You and couple of thousand other CT's. Hang in there it will happen. Just remember that it is moving at the speed of Government. Getting things done in the Government is like mating elephants. Lots of noise and confusion and 2 years for results. :nod:

Back