• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ORCA has passed her first test!

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
SHE FLOATS!!!

Since the other thread is locked I'll start a new one.

Victoria Shipyards cranned the ORCA into the water at the graving dock at Esquimalt. As I was driving through Dockyard I saw the big blue crane with bridle so I assumed that they would be putting her in the water. Later in the day I saw ORCA alongside.

I had heard that she would be in the water after the 15th of August, seems that they are slightly ahead of schedule.

Sorry no pictures, but I would think that VIC SHIPS or MARPAC PAFO (if they aren't still fawning all over USS STENNIS) will have some pictures released soon.

Yeah, that was pretty neat.  I was on board the Stennis for a while today, but I still managed to see the Orca wet.  Fantastic!

On a side note, the Stennis is HUGE!!  It was kind of unique walking around on board and not smacking my head in to, well, everything.  A little odd returning salutes on board, but c'est la vie.  :)  When in Rome, I guess.

T

You know, there isn't one onboard the Stennis...  Kinda weird eating in the mess that's as big as the wardroom in Esquimalt on board ship...  :D  Food was pretty good, too.  Mind you, no booze on board...  Silly heathens.  ;)

T

Im sure they make up for the lack of booze in other ways, and Im sure they run hard when ashore too.
That said, while not opposed to liquor aboard, I do disagree with those who take advantage of it while at sea.  (it happens, and people do get taken to task for it)

I didn't know the Stennis is in town. If you haven't hopped on yet, definitely do so....it's a blast!

and yes, I know it is in Victoria...

She left this morning, going to pick up Air det, methinks.

T

Ref McDonalds, there isn't one on any of the aircraft carriers, just another urban legend ripping around the naval family........

Its one thing to take advantage of drinking at sea and another to have a beer after supper in the mess.  If your getting loaded everynight at see there is something wrong.

I thought it was more regulated than that...  ARen't the limits 2 drinks per day, and not within 8 hours of your shift, or am I being naive?

T

Torlyn said:
I thought it was more regulated than that...  ARen't the limits 2 drinks per day, and not within 8 hours of your shift, or am I being naive?
Two per day, and not within 6 hours of your watch.

And back to the original topic....

Came back from sea today and the first ORCA is still afloat.  I've enjoyed watching her being built throughout the last few months, and it's great to finally see her in the water.

navymich said:
Two per day, and not within 6 hours of your watch.

And back to the original topic....

Came back from sea today and the first ORCA is still afloat.  I've enjoyed watching her being built throughout the last few months, and it's great to finally see her in the water.

Thanks, Mich.  :)  Sounds like Venture will be using them starting this spring.  That would be nice...

T

I noticed yesterday that ORCA II (I don't have her name) is now being assembled.
ORCA commences sea trials at the end of August and should be handed over to the Navy early in the new year.

FSTO said:
I noticed yesterday that ORCA II (I don't have her name) is now being assembled.

I missed that, will have to have another look on Monday.  For all that have DIN access, here is the ORCA link again.

Now if only we could get the JSS and SSC in the water this fast...

Where did you hear the ORCAs would be commissioned?  Evereything I've heard suggests they will not be.

My opinion (for what that's worth) is that it would be a mistake to commission them.  Their size and the way they will be employed, with no permanent crew or CO, mitigate against it.  Also, I would be concerned that commissions would open them to all the MARCORDs, etc to which the heavies are subject, which would hamper and complicate their employability as currently envisioned.

That was what I had heard, and I could have sworn I had read that too.  I will re-read through the info on them when I get into work tomorrow.

Back