• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Oregon College mass shooting - 10 killed

Shrek1985 said:
The only way to stop or mitigate the actions of madmen is to be prepared to stop them with your own weapons and skills.

Or institutionalize them when diagnosed.

George Wallace said:

You're assuming that most of them get diagnosed. Afterwards, you can maybe find some people who will say; "Shucks, he did seem a little off." But that's about it.

A lot of these folks go unnoticed because staying under the radar is a huge perk if you can manage it in today's world for a lot of people and a frigging survival skill for some.

A lot of them go unnoticed because their mental state isn't that unusual in a society where 1 in 3 people come from fatherless homes and where almost a quarter of young men are put on behaviour modifying drugs at some stage of their schooling.\

George Wallace said:

At heart though George; you're talking prevention, which is nice when you can do it, bot just not all that reliable and I'm talking mitigation; which is the reality of a society in which things like this happen and will keep happening until we have real, serious social change that;

a) revolutionizes how we view and treat mental illness.
b) stops the war on men and boys and makes it okay, even admirable to be masculine again.
c) deals with the scourge of fatherlessness; a trait which runs in common through virtually all school shootings and the vast majority of violent and career criminals.

I'm not personally sold on whether the guy was really a wannabe terrorist anymore, so I'll leave that aside for now. Hell, I've got the Red Hand and Erin Go Bragh hanging side by side right next to me and I study the Troubles and that hardly makes me a terrorist.

"Hey Everyone, he can't kill all of us so charge him!"

So as someone whose responsibility includes campus security (I also do active shooter training with staff and students) - I can tell you that "Run, Hide, Fight" is exactly what is being taught in a majority of school settings now - so your smarmy little dig is a bit silly. "Curl up under this desk and wait for someone to come and shoot you" wasn't very effective so most institutions have adopted a different tact. First response should be "Run, if safe to do so"; if unsafe, then the next course of action is to hide. Finally, if the shooter breaches the room, you fight. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, I'm saying that is exactly what is taught in many institutions these days. Google City of Houston "Run Hide Fight" or University of Auburn Active Shooter Response. I deal with security every single day on a university campus smack dab in the middle of downtown Phoenix.

muskrat89 said:
So as someone whose responsibility includes campus security (I also do active shooter training with staff and students) - I can tell you that "Run, Hide, Fight" is exactly what is being taught in a majority of school settings now - so your smarmy little dig is a bit silly. "Curl up under this desk and wait for someone to come and shoot you" wasn't very effective so most institutions have adopted a different tact. First response should be "Run, if safe to do so"; if unsafe, then the next course of action is to hide. Finally, if the shooter breaches the room, you fight. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, I'm saying that is exactly what is taught in many institutions these days. Google City of Houston "Run Hide Fight" or University of Auburn Active Shooter Response. I deal with security every single day on a university campus smack dab in the middle of downtown Phoenix.
The quote is from republican  presidential hopeful Ben carson

I understand that. He was making light of it.

muskrat89 said:
I understand that. He was making light of it.

Just to be clear, what I was making light of was Ben Carson's total response, which wasn't limited to the portion of the quote you selected, but also his claim of how he dealt with a supposed armed robbery at a Popeye's Organization outlet, by throwing the counter staff under the bus.

"Guy comes in, put the gun in my ribs. And I just said, 'I believe that you want the guy behind the counter,'"

So my commentary taken in the intended context essentially is making light of Carson's call for everyone to rush the gunman, but don't expect him to be out in front leading the charge.

I was making light of was Ben Carson's total response

Which isn't what you posted.

So my commentary taken in the intended context essentially is making light of Carson's call for everyone to rush the gunman, but don't expect him to be out in front leading the charge.

With the added explanation, that makes sense. Thanks

Back