• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ottawa has ‘failed’ veterans as calls grow for minister to resign: advocates

Not that poppies are a singular sign of veteran support but I'd say less than 1% of the people in west Ottawa had poppies on this week when I visited.
I have noticed a lack of poppies in Ottawa this year, I've also seen far less people/places distributing them as well.

Result of the Legions struggling with lack of volunteers. My Cadet corp did a day for each legion here on the Northshore, the young kids are very successful at twisting adults arms. One of the legion was organized enough to have a Tap machine and it was fun watching the kids hook the "I don't have cash on me crowd" forcing them to cough up. To be fair everyone is in "rebuilding" mode after Covid. We had to tell the Scouts and Guides we won't be offering free coco or hot dogs to them after the parade as we don't have enough volunteers to make that much and do the cleanup. I find that people now are to busy working to stay afloat to volunteer as much as they would like.

Huh. Apparently his dad was a Lancaster navigator (and got a DFC for his troubles) and his grandfather was PPCLI including at Vimy. Peter Mansbridge’s own service was super short.

When he dropped out of Glebe Collegiate in Ottawa, Mansbridge joined the navy because he liked the uniforms; he dreamed of being a pilot and they had planes. Less than a year later, he took an honourable discharge after they pulled him from flight training and said he had to go to sea. . . .

I have noticed a lack of poppies in Ottawa this year, I've also seen far less people/places distributing them as well.
To be fair, we're getting crazy warm weather, where normally you would just put a poppy on your jacket. I've gotten 4 recently, but not going to pin one onto a tshirt when I talk it off.

My daughter tried to volunteer in her cadet corps to help sell them and the legion (literally across the street) never got back to them. They are at every local grocery store as a stand alone, so easy to find, but I've only see one lone air cadet actually selling them (and bought yet another one just because).

And I hate the Legion.

Agreed. Most places where I did see boxes (there weren't many places), they were empty.

Back