• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ottawa mulls role in Afghanistan past 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly, "Leading Change" has never been interpreted as "Efficiently Maintaining an Effective Status Quo (i.e, Stability) in a Changing Environment".

While I believe total saturation of the area is a more humane COA.

Please tell me your journeys through that area willy.

I'm sure there are people who have had this this thought from time to time, like myslef. Black humour or not, it would have one very positive effect. It would send the taliban scurrying back to their caves like rats to a sewer drain

As for Mckays comments, well all i can say is... "Spoken like a true politician" Give one a soap box and hand everyone a set of earplugs...

Can we please drop this tactical nuke talk before somebody thinks we are serious? I can not think of anything that would destablize the world more, and that includes acts as repugnant as the whole scale massacre of the population of disputed areas by gun, gas or garrotte.  Even if it was not a war crime on a massive scale, do we really want to eliminate one of the few transportation corridors in the theatre?

In the real bad old days of the Cold War, one of the specialties I trained in was nuclear target analysis which was one of the tasks performed by the DS field regiment CO's staff. Let me tell you that I grappled with the moral implications, but decided that being a very minor part of the nuclear detterent was far superior to leaving the west open to attack. The nuke was always the last step in escalation; to even consider using it against a civilian population not generally engaged in the war is to descend into barbarism. And if you can't see the difference between 1945 and 2009, then I question your comprehension of the world.

Last, even if we could overcome the above drawbacks, to use one or ten or . . . tactical nuclear weapons isn't really the best way to interdict a transportation/population corridor if the intention is to turn over the country to the national government.

Just my two cents.

willy said:
I, however, will suffice to say that you, sir, are a bit of a douche.

*edited to remove specific reference.

That douche has earned the right to speak on Afghanistan without being personally attacked by some internet tough guy.  I would put money on you not having the courage to call him a douche to his face. 

Dirty Patricia said:
That douche has earned the right to speak on Afghanistan without being personally attacked by some internet tough guy.  I would put money on you not having the courage to call him a douche to his face.

The "right" to speak on Afghanistan is not solely earned by having been there.

Calling out one "internet tough guy" by being one yourself is not conducive to putting the conversation back on track.  Stick to the purpose of the thread or it will be locked.

Milnet.ca Staff

“First and foremost, Canada is not engaged in air strikes,” said Mr. MacKay. “We obviously take great pains not to have civilian casualties in any instance.”

Wow, chalk this one up to one of the most misleading political statements of 2009. Just because they are not our aircraft...

I agree wholeheartedly although I will say hes right on the civilian casualties, there have been times whereas weapons ie 82RCL, have been spotted with various assets and would have looked nice with a GBU-12 dropped on them.

willy said:
I hope that (someone in a better position to comment than me) can/will respond to the comments made above.  I, however, will suffice to say that you, sir, are a bit of a douche.

*edited to remove specific reference.

So self admitting that you are not in a position to comment, besides name calling in French WTF did you bring to the thread Pot (as in kettle)?

Nothing that Tow Tri posted is that shocking to anyone who takes their SA from ground zero (no offence intended) as opposed to CTV or Minister's press releases. 

To answer the original question about what the MDN is saying.  My guess is not much of anything.  He is probably talking bollocks.  Reconstruction and training sounds good.  Considering what we (tow tripod included) were doing this time last year reconstruction and training without a ROBUST force pro it isn't a particularly realistic main effort.

Come on Tow Tripod, you know perfectly well, that without a significant force reduction, Red Bull(TM) will always get shipping priority over tactical nukes.

TNO

Iam addicted to Red Bull and the idea of Tac Nuking Zhari, Phasmul and Panjway all at once.

Tow Tripod

And since there's obviously no intentions to return this topic to useful debate.

Locked.

Milnet.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back