• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Outdoor Gear Thread

I have the Katadyn pocket, http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441777453&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302696689&bmUID=1216960307827 , it is a bit more expensive but the only thing you need to worry about is freezing temperatures. It always works!

I really need a set of new boots before a 12 day backcountry trip at Lake Superior and Missinaibi.  This is the wifes 'test' to see if she is ready for a trip to Polar Bear Provincial park in Ontario next year.  I was also looking at the Raichle Kootnay's but I am sitting on the fence.  If I do not decide in the next day or so I may have to revert to the default (combats).

I second the Miniworks EX, i did extensive research before buying and found the Katadyn vario (its most direct competition) wanting on many levels. First off is the ceramic prefilter that always clogs and is reputed to be almost impossible to clean an get full flow recovery in the field. Also, build quality, does not seem to be made quite as well as the Miniworks in regards to their selection of plastics.

The ceramic filter of the Miniworks can be cleaned easily and effectively in the field, and my god the water actually tastes great, better than bottled actually. Everything on it is easily serviced if you ever have any trouble with it, all the seals are simple, the maintenance simple, and it simply works, all the time, every time. The main attraction of the Vario is the 2l/min cap, but thats on fast flow, which doesnt filter as well, put it on the longer filter life and it utilizes the ceramic prefilter that gets clogged way too easily from what i have read, but only then will it produce water of the quality of the miniworks. Either way, you can never go wrong with an MSR product.

I have to admit I am a bit of an MSR junkie, everything they make follows a philosophy that I try to follow as much as possible when selecting equipment, the classic KISS principle. I have the service kits for every MSR product that I own, and am proud to say they have largely gone unopened. I happened to lose my jet cleaning tool for my whisperlite internationale so i emailed MSR and they had 2 free ones sent to my door, even though i bought this stove second hand and is easily 15 years old, but still works like a charm. 

Just to protect the ceramic filter from freezing (not that much of a problem but i do it anyways) i put it in its stuff sack and chuck it in my sleeping bag.

rock solid product though, do not hesitate to get this thing, if i had more money i would buy a second one and keep it in my go bag so that i wouldnt have to switch it out every time i go camping.

I'm currently working at MEC in Toronto (waiting for my BMOQ to start). If anyone needs any advice on gear, feel free to PM me. I work in packs, sleeping bags, tents and climbing. I know a little bit about water sports and heart rate monitors as well.

Well I may as well post my outdoor gear; I don’t have as much go light gear like Scott (because I like to be comfortable). 

Well Boots I use a set of midweight  Merrell hikers, they are a good crossover between a hiker and a backpacking boot, and have a nice comfortable vibrm sole.  I am thinking of getting a set of 6” magnums for hiking.

Clothing, I found Wal-Mart the best place, you can usually find quick drying clothing, that lasts just as long as the stuff form the outdoor stores, for a hell of a lot less.

Pack, I use an older Kelty Coyote, I have had the pack for about ten years, and it is surprisingly  still in good condition.  It has been used and abused, and has even been to Africa with my brother, and  is still going strong.

Tent, I just recently purchased an MEC Wander II, I have only got to use the tent on a three night trip, and it held up, and never let in a drop of water (pretty much rained the whole time :;) I bought this to replace an older North Face tent, that my youngest brother destroyed on me:;

Cooking, I use an MSR Dragonfly it works with almost all types of fuel, and is really easy to adjust the heat output.  As for cook wear I use a MSR BlackLight Cookset, it has a pot gripper, two pots, a frying pan and a lid that fits all three.  It is a non stick set, and is great for cooking with.  I like to actually cook a proper meal, so this set is great for me.

My water filter is a MSR SweetWater Microfilter.  I have had it for about six years; it is easy to use/maintain (uses disposable filters, that need to be changed after about 5000L).  I like the pump feature, and it uses two hoses, so you can lay the filter on the ground, instead of holding it above what you are filling.

As for hiking poles I use a set of MEC Croli Approach pole. I have had them for about 8 years, and they have been used for thousands of Km of hiking, and have acted as tarp poles amongst other things, and are still in decent shape.  I think MEC has discontented these poles which is too bad, as they are good quality affordable  poles.

My sleeping bag is an MEC Hybrid It is good for fall, winter, and spring; but is too hot for summer use, my summer bag is a cheap mummy bag I picked up at Canadian Tire.  I like the Hybrid, as it is worm, and packs small like down, but keeps you warm even when wet like synthetic bags.  I also use an MEC Mummy Bag liner it is great, as it warms you up faster than hopping straight into the sleeping bag, and it is easier to wash it, then the sleeping bag.

For lighting I use Petzl Zoom Zoraheadlamp, that I have had for over ten years, and it is still working good.  I have also started using my Surefire G2, as it is small and powerful.

Well...I hiked all over Gros Morne National Park and Banff this summer...and my Zamberlans were the one thing I would not have been without...especially doing the rock scramble up Gros Morne...one of the highlights IMO  ;D
The terrain is so diverse throughout GM and my Zambies met the challenge...no need for Gortex...

I wore Wigwam INgenius Hiker Merino Socks with liners which worked well in all conditions...from hot and dry to cool and wet...

The Sportif convertible pants are my fav...the shorts were worn more than the full legs though...less restricting on steep inclines...

I found a more snug fitting long sleeve wicking top was best...I wore my MEC thermal hoodie over the MEC Sporty Top...they switched out easily during the climb when it was hot and I was glad to have the warmth at the summit...

I wore a MEC bandana which is self explanatory...and MEC Javelin Sunglasses...with rose colored lenses  8)

A Source Widepack hydration system and of course a bear bell...lol

That was for the day long hikes...more kit was involved in the overnight primitive hikes...

HL

Scott coming home soon after 70 plus days away...loooooook out MEC!

On my list of possibles:

Snowshoes

Telemark skis (though I may go used for these puppies the first time 'round)

An Arc'teryx Bora pack

Canoe paddles. I have some guys telling me to go with hybrids, any comments? I prefer the traitional wooden jobbies but am always up for debate.

A pair of low cut hikers.

Ice gear (crampons, axes)

My favorite season is arriving the same time I am and I plan to get the most out of it!

Forgot the GPS in my last post...makes for quick nav...way of the future...love it...recommend you don't leave home without it if you are doing some serious outback hikes  ;D

HL

Looking at this for my next purchase... ;D

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?a=b&minisite=10020&spid=34183&language=US

Racing mountain bikes seems like a great new outdoor sport for me...been biking lately but tired out some of the serious types bikes and well you just have to have one 8)
If anyone has any additional info about the sport be glad to hear it...gotta get the new duds to wear too of course...

HL

I remember riding a Norco A-Line on 'A-line' in Whistler in 2003. The thing rode like a dirt toboggan! I never bothered to ride up hill with it. But it rode downhill like a butte!

Scott: You might want to check out MEC's Gear swap before you buy some telly gear else where, I got my touring skis there and it was fairly simple and easy.

Jon

Jon, totally, I was thinking the same. I have a ton of gear that I can get rid of so it makes sense.

HL, I bought a Specialized Hardrock and looooove it. I am not into going kamikaze down mountians, mostly rail trails with the occasional burst down a short path so it suits me just fine. I buy all my cycle gear from Hub in Truro and find they have a cult following in the area with people coming out from the city to shop there. They are a tad more pricey for certain items but I continue shopping there because we need a cycle shop in Truro and the best way to keep them is to support them.

GPS's: I have a Garmin 60 Cx. Love, love, love it. I also bought the Topo Canada software and this has to be seen to be believed. The interfacing between GPS and my laptop is unreal and the way this thing tracks routes, waypoints, etc is mind blowing. It's awesome being able to email someone a map of a route in the back country. Cost money? Yup. But totally worth it.

Scott said:
GPS's: I have a Garmin 60 Cx. Love, love, love it. I also bought the Topo Canada software and this has to be seen to be believed. The interfacing between GPS and my laptop is unreal and the way this thing tracks routes, waypoints, etc is mind blowing. It's awesome being able to email someone a map of a route in the back country. Cost money? Yup. But totally worth it.

It is a nice unit.  I've used it on hikes and geocaching.  I was wondering if anyone has the Garmin 60CSx yet.  I'm curious to see if there are any (noticeable) differences in the reception, the 2nd and 3rd paragraph of the write-up make it sound like they are using a new receiver.  I like the altimeter feature too.

I was wondering, is this the software you are talking about?

HL, I bought a Specialized Hardrock and looooove it. I am not into going kamikaze down mountians, mostly rail trails with the occasional burst down a short path so it suits me just fine. I buy all my cycle gear from Hub in Truro and find they have a cult following in the area with people coming out from the city to shop there. They are a tad more pricey for certain items but I continue shopping there because we need a cycle shop in Truro and the best way to keep them is to support them.

[/quote]Tks Scott...I am in Truro quite often...will have to check them out too...do they have Fox bike apparel...I just love their stuff...make awesome bike suspension too...lol
going to check out the Topo Canada software too...now what do you know about kayaks...I have a good friend who does all the wild and crazy kayaking (aka white water and falls) as well as sea...he says to go used first...any thoughts?

HL

Eye in the Sky: Indeed, the very same software. Easy peasy to use.

I looked at getting the Csx but the lower version won out for me. I would like to have the altimeter but it's not a must have for me. I've had mine for a bit over a year so I am not sure which generation of receiver I have in the thing but I do know it's deadly accurate and will work most everywhere save for inside of big buildings.

HL, I don't recall if they have Fox apparel (isn't Fox into Moto?) I buy mostly Suogi and only for padding, everything else I wear is regular outdoor wear stuff. Hub is on Inglis Street so if you've been to Margolians before then you're close. A great spot to hit after the bike shop is the Fair Trade Cafe, they're just down from one another. And, if you don't mind hills, hit Victoria Park for some biking, it's challenging but fun.

Kayaks, not a damned thing known about them. I had debated getting into it but have shelved the plans for now and am going to stick with my old Sportsman, you know, the one painted like birch bark? It's a classic with all my Royal Reserve stickers on it...

WRT kayaking, it is much more efficient than canoeing, this is a fact. It seems that it can be pricey or not so bad...I do know that around Halifax there are a few courses you can sign up for to build your own and I have talked to some of the guys that have done it who all say it was worth it. I am not certain on prices but methinks that back then it was cheaper than buying. I also know that sea kayaks are a different animal than the river/whitewater/whatever...but I'll stop here as it is not my forte

Scott said:
I do know that around Halifax there are a few courses you can sign up for to build your own and I have talked to some of the guys that have done it who all say it was worth it. I am not certain on prices but methinks that back then it was cheaper than buying.

On one of our outtings this past summer, one of the guys had his handmade kayak and it was a very nice piece of kit.  He had built 3 of them, and sold the first 2, and decided to keep the last one.  IIRC, he had put $800ish into it (10 years ago) and built it over a winter.  His had no rudder on it which he said makes it alittle harder to track with a tailwind/following sea.  It was lighter than any of ours and he was pretty proud of it.  And rightfully so, I thought.

That is sweet!

I am looking into a new canoe and can get a handmade fibreglass jobby from the Shelburne area for under a grand...not quite sure yet.

Oh man, I am Jonesing so bad right now. I picked up a "traveler" during my time in Uzbekistan and am a bit out of comission for the time being (Doctor's visits start tomorrow). I am hoping to hit Wentworth for the fall colors and a hike to the lookoff then it's off to Cape Breton for Cape Clear (hike and camp) and Trous des Saumons (bike).

HL, if you want any trail info on central NS give me a holler. I'm in Brookfield and have easy access to many gooders.

That is one beautiful kayak. I've gone out in a family member's home made ocean kayak before. It was a wood frame with canvas stretched over it, and it was one of the nicest kayaks I've ever paddled. It was a 3 person as well, which made for some good social time. One day I might get myself my own kayak, but I suppose it would make more sense to wait until I'm done school and actually posted, in case the nearest body of water is 4 hours away. :D

MEC got me again...

I picked up the Arc'teryx Bora 65 bag and the thing is far and above the best pack I have ever laid eyes on. I also got a small cragging/ski pack by Black Diamond as I plan on getting some back country boards in the next few weeks (any suggestions?)

For anyone in NS I highly suggest you check out the Minas Basin shore along Parrsboro area, wicked hikes, great waterfalls, cheap accommodations (right on the beach) and stellar views all around. I spent two and a half days there recently and was able to hit Ward's Falls, another un named set about 30 km closer to Advocate, Cape D'Or, Parrsboro beach for the tides, Advocate Beach for a driftwood bonfire...this place is bound to become my new playground with Kenomee, Devil's Bend and Chignecto trails so close at hand.

Thankfully my girlfirend will be able to use the North Face bag but I will be looking, soon, to clean out some of the gear from my closet.

Indeed. Five Islands is very close to Kenomee/Devil's Bend. Parrsboro is further on, Ward's Falls and the other set are on the road to Advocate. This has to be one of the most under explored areas of the province...there was almost zero traffic and we met just a handful of people during our hikes. So stunning is the land up that way that I am going to start looking for property!

PM me if you want further details.

Back