• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Outdoor Gear Thread

The Trail Shop's 20% off everything sale got me. I picked up some sweet new back country skis w/ bindings and boots all for under 300 bucks which is pretty decent (I got last year's boots at 70% off!) and so I have been enjoying the hell out of the snow Halifax has gotten. Yesterday I hit Ashburn and today I went around Banook on the Shubie trails which was a treat save for the fact that some of the ignorant dinks like to walk in classic ski lines instead of using previous footpaths.

I missed out on Wentworth for the colours but did see some in the Highlands a few weeks back. 9er and I went for a blast from Margaree Center to Wreck Cove stopping at Cape Clear and Big Intervale. We found some primo camping/canoeing spots up in the Wreck Cove power flowages so next summer should be pretty sweet. We also hit Trous des Saumons (as mentioned before) which was a blast and very quiet.

The next big one is going to be to my cabin. Ski in, set up, two nights, ski the area, ski out. We may have to wait to do this but it's on the books. The other option is the backcountry side of the Musquodoboit Rail Trail through White's Lake, we may go and overnight somewhere in the back country...

I also picked up some softshell pants in the last little while and am loving the combination of those and some Kombi's underneath. I was never before a long underwear or insulated pants guy but am now a convert.

Keep exploring!

Scott said:
The other option is the backcountry side of the Musquodoboit Rail Trail through White's Lake, we may go and overnight somewhere in the back country...

I was up there recently (South Granite Ridge and that area) doing some geocaching.  I really liked that area, it was a good hike and the view along the ridge was one of the nicer ones I have seen in NS. 

I also picked up some softshell pants in the last little while and am loving the combination of those and some Kombi's underneath. I was never before a long underwear or insulated pants guy but am now a convert.

I have a set of softshell pants/jacket (the Ferrata ones from MEC, which are discontinued now I think), that use Schoeller Dryskin.  I love them.  Lightweight, water resistant (water beads off it), and the stretchiness of it are very good.  I recently hiked Bluff Wilderness, and wore the pants with no baselayer.  Temps were dipping just below freezing and I was not cold at all.  All I am planning on doing this winter is adding a baselayer and a set of gaiters for winter hiking/snowshoeing. 

WRT Gaiters: I tried them for the first time this weekend and was glad to ahve them. I gave a shot to a set of Mountain Hardware's creation. The only con I can see to them is that the strap that runs under your boot on these puppies is just a piece of rope, not the buckled leather like in most other incarnations I have seen. That aside they worked and were comfy and kept my feet and pants/legs DRY.

I forgot to add my skis in here: http://www.alpinasports.com/Alpina.php?Catalog1=11&Parent1=3 Boots from the same outfit and the bindings are of back country style but |I am not sure of the maker. FYI, I had an extensive talk with a guy about steel edged skis vs flat plastic and he swore by the regular old flat plastic (no edges) for anything done here in NS and I happen to agree, steel seems to be overkill.

My softshell pants are from Patagonia and I hit up another set from North Face as I am a total North Face slut. No verdict yet. I bought them mainly for the ice climbing we are getting into in the Middle Stewiacke area this winter.

How much did you shell out for your gaiters?  I was looking at the Kokanee's from MEC;  the price seems right, the gortex in them I like and the velcro closure is on the front.  I was looking at them last week but want to take my hiking boots in and actually put them on before I buy them.  It would be nice to have a Plan B if they aren't suitable now that there is some snow down.

Mine were regular $45 bucks.

The big thing to look for in gaiters, besides the under foot straps, is a tab that hooks on to your boot at the front. My skit boots have such a tab built right in but most shoes will not so you'll want to wake sure you do not chafe through your laces during an epic stroll. I don't know what other incarnations are out there (like what MEC has to offer) 9er has a set from MEC and likes them a ton.

Scott said:
Mine were regular $45 bucks.

The big thing to look for in gaiters, besides the under foot straps, is a tab that hooks on to your boot at the front. My skit boots have such a tab built right in but most shoes will not so you'll want to wake sure you do not chafe through your laces during an epic stroll. I don't know what other incarnations are out there (like what MEC has to offer) 9er has a set from MEC and likes them a ton.

The ones I was looking at have the tab on them, which was one of the things I was looking for.  I always carry a spare pair of laces in my pack, maybe I should make it two for long ones in the winter.  :)

Time for an update:

www.hubcycle.ca

Jeff Simms, an old hockey linemate of mine and former Patricia, is the store manager and great at giving deals. He also has intimate knowledge of local trails and good info on all things bike, snowshoe and ski. FYI, Hub is into skis and snowshoes and will match or beat anyone else's prices on all items - for anyone making the trip this time of year, bring your skis, Victoria Park, with over 15 km of excellent trails, is literally within walking distance of Hub. And seeing as I am tsalking skiing and Victoria Park...on the very off chance that someone who walks there is reading this, PLEASE stick to one side of the trail! It makes for disastrous skiing and falls when someone ruins a perfectly good classic trail by walking all over it. There is plenty of room for everyone, just show a little respect.

While at Hub recently Jeff got me into a set of Faber snowshoes http://www.fabersnowshoes.com/ which are 100% Canadian made and have a pretty awesome binding system aboard them. Snowshoeing is the fastest growing sport in North America and is so accessible, in places where you get snow at least, that it's hard not to make a case to anyone to go for it. I made doubly sure to buy shoes that were heavy enough to allow me to haul some weight, I suggest same for anyone who likes the backcountry.

Back to skiing. I recently headed for Tuonela in Cape Breton and had an awesome stay there www.skituonela.com Backcountry skiing at its very best amd most beautiful. There is approximately 15 km of well groomed trails as well as a village of chalets for those who wish to stay. Be forewarned, all of the skiing is technical and challenging, there are no "green circle" trails at this place and one could hurt themselves if not careful.

Have fun!

I bought MSR Denali snowshoes with the 8" extensions about 3 years ago.  While they may look like cheap plastic crap to the casual eye, lemme tell ya, these things are tough, light, and comfortable.  I would STRONGLY suggest the tail extensions to anyone who goes for the powder.  I'm 240 in my initial issued suit, add all my snivel kit and a decently sized pack, and I quickly discovered I needed the extra floatation.  I keep them in my truck all winter, because out here if you go off into the rhubarb, it can be a real hike to get assistance.

Eye In The Sky said:
The ones I was looking at have the tab on them, which was one of the things I was looking for.  I always carry a spare pair of laces in my pack, maybe I should make it two for long ones in the winter.  :)

Gaiters are amazing, if you ever hike in swampy terrain or through snow drifts once you discover them they are no longer
optional. In a lot of cases they eliminate the need for waterproof pants, and in some cases like snow drift "post holeing" they are far superior.

Outdoor Research crocodiles are the best design. They are in the $80 range, kind of pricey but you realize once you start using them just how valuable they are, its like springing for high quality boots vs mediocre ones.

Canada ought to follow the Brits lead and make this issued kit, but that's probably too logical too happen.

In the mean time check this out  :eek:
http://www.cpgear.com/StoreBox/footwear/8012.htm

They're even crocodiles too!

Yes I agree I used gaiters on the WCT, second best purchase I ever made. The best was my boots. http://www.zamberlan.com/catalog/index.php?lang=en&pg=prod&idprod=13&idcat=2

If you want a comfortable, waterproof all year round boot. Get'em. I didn't even have time to break them in before I set out for the WCT and still didn't get blisters, and I get the worst blisters really quickly becuase of some stupid knob on the back of my foot. They are kind of $$$

Alright, I would like to know what the best backpack is out there that is about 70-80L for no more than 250$ but cheaper and price for value would be better.

Seriously, that has got to be the toughest question to have asked.

You have to go and try out pack for yourself.  What might work for one person migh tnot work for the next.  If you have a camping gear store near you, I would recommend going in with a price range and trying out bags.  Most "good" stores will have gear you can fill the bag with to simulate a full bag for confort.

Good luck.

My suggestion is to hit Kijiji and local gear swaps, that's pretty lowball price to me.

Personally, good gear makes good sense and for something like a pack which I would expect to last me ten years plus I am willing to spend another 150 dollars on it. Think of how that extra investment related over ten years compared to the two or three that another, cheaper pack might last. And another point, you can't put a dollar amount on sweat and blisters made by cheap gear, been there, it sucks.

And an update for the mountain bikers and hikers here: Tuonela has now gone to a year round resort www.tuonelawildernessresort.com and is well worth a visit for anyone down in this area. Chris, Anni and Matt will take very good care of you and give you a real education on being eco friendly.

Well thanks Kat.

I have just had a bad expierence with high quality packs before. And do not want to go through it again. As for local gear swaps where I live, not gonna happen. But it is a good idea. Maybe someone could point me in the direction of a decent company?

Cheers to everyone in this thread!

Very useful links/tips for my upcoming venture in Algonquin!

Just wondering if anyone could suggest some good low cut hiking shoes or trail runners? I'm looking for something durable but not too cumbersome.

I have a Merrell day pack that refuses to quit after 4 or so years of abuse, so I think I may take a serious look at their shoes. Anyone have experience (or know someone) that has used a variation of the Merrell Intercept?

Thanks.

I know what i can recomend you don't get...Salomon trail runners. I got mine from MEC at a good price. They lasted a year and the fell apart...really, the stiching came out, the fabric fell apart, laces broke, etc. I wasn't a huge user of them but really? A F****ING Year!?

Hi-Tech always makes good products. Try them.

JC

Thanks JC. I will see if they have anything that I like.

I had found a pair of Merrells that I was going to pick up today, but the store clerk told me that there was nothing in my size, and that the model was probably going out of production.  Back to the search!

:mad:

Back