• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Over There" TV Series (Merged Topic)

for those of you that are unable to watch this program or obtain a copy send me an e-mail as i have all 14 episodes and i can help you out with that.

steve
aka Walrus
dr_tubby@hotmail.com

Since I have watched the majority of the episodes, I figured I will weigh in with my opinion: I, for the most part, liked it. I actually grew "attached" to the characters (Mrs B!!! Meow!!), although they were basically from Central Casting: the tough, show no emotion Sarge-character, who deep down loves his squad; the white idealist (he's got his-self an edumacation!!!) who questions everything about the military, but still does his share of the killing; the street-wise black guy (Smoke) who doesn't question why, he just likes kicking ass; the good, church-going black kid, with a heart of gold, and can, oddly enough, sing sweetly; the a$$-head officer who sees combat as a stepping-stone for his career (Lt Underpants).

The characters that I thought really add to the show are: the Iraqi-American (Nassiri???), whose family left Iraq, but he came back to fight, and hates the Iraqi people (to a degree); the "good" officer, Capt Baron, who realizes that Lt Underpants is a clown, but knows that the "system" won't allow him to be replaced; the slutty, alcoholic wife of the idealist, who shows one of the darker sides to the wife left behind; the husband (Sergio) of the one female trucker, who is torn between being a faithful husband, and shagging the hotty ho wife of a soldier (foul temptress!!!!); the young guy (Bo) who lost his leg, but wants to get back to being a soldier.

When you consider that the show is filming as the war rages overseas, and the lead time to making a "quality" series, with what I would consider minimal (if any) Pentagon assistance (which I doubt, as I take it to be anti-military, pro-soldier), I think it is more of a "labour of love" rather than a "let's make a buck off the tragedy that is the Iraq occupation". M*A*S*H wasn't exactly the most realistic show in the world, but the point wasn't about showing the war, but the effects of the war.

As for some of the hokey things they showed (toilet seat C4, AWOL soldier going straight back overseas (I never did see the end of that episode as my PVR crapped out, so I'm going on piecing things together) , I get the feeling that a lot of that is based on the truth (truth is usually stranger than fiction), as from what I have gathered here, a lot of the people critiquing them have never seen combat, only movies (and TV shows) about combat. If soldiers that have served "over there" (in Iraq) say it's bunk, I'll accept that, but not somebody whose only combat qualification is "I've seen every Tour of Duty and China Beach ever, plus deleted scenes!!!!". I myself have questioned some of the TTP's (Tactics, Techniques and Procedures) that they have employed, but I would like to think that they are trying to keep it somewhat real. As for equipment, I have heard people complain about the most minute details in ref to Band of Brothers, such as the weapon sights that they showed early in the movie weren't introduced until later in the war. Yeah, that stopped me from enjoying the movie and kept me up at night....

As for comparing OT to Band of Brothers (which I absolutely loved, BTW) they fall into two different categories, IMO. One is like a good steak dinner, complete with wine. The other is more like McDonalds. They both fill the hole, and at different times one is preferable to the other. I'm sure one day there will be a version of Band of Brothers set in Iraq. It took better than 50 years to get BoB to the big screen. Hopefully it won't take that long for the contemporary version.

I don't know if I would splurge $50-$60 for the series DVD, but considering that very average TV shows command that kind of coin, who's to say that I wouldn't (in a moment of weakness, thinking of Mrs B in the shower in that Hollywood hotel room  ;D)

Al

The cancellation of this show stinks of the fear of viewers facing reality. In this day and age when we are bombarded with reality tv shows that end in catty arguments, it would seem viewers dont want to face the reality of war and soldiers problems, but would prefer to lose themselves in episodes of Nip/Tuck.

I thought this show did a classy job of pointing out real situations facing soldiers, and by cancelling it, just reinforces the apparent decline of the entertainment industry.

I just thought it was fairly reptitive and predictable, it never really kept me interested.

I don't know if Tour of Duty was any better - it certainly got silly the last few seasons. I will say that the first episode of Tour of Duty was excellent, almost movie-quality.

Comparing Over There to Band of Brothers is unfair; BoB had its plot and characters roughly sketched for it, and was only a mini series.

In the end, I don't think a TV series about an ongoing conflict can work- no one knows what to make of it. A population needs time to digest it before they can watch it as an audience and before a studio can interpret it on screen.

Allan Luomala said:
When you consider that the show is filming as the war rages overseas, and the lead time to making a "quality" series, with what I would consider minimal (if any) Pentagon assistance (which I doubt, as I take it to be anti-military, pro-soldier).

Funny thing. "Stargate SG-1" is the only television show, endorsed by the US military. In fact, real military personal have appeared on the show (like high ranking generals).

oyaguy said:
Funny thing. "Stargate SG-1" is the only television show, endorsed by the US military. In fact, real military personal have appeared on the show (like high ranking generals).

So it might really exist?
The best way to hide something is in plain view.
Maybe the Generals are there for more than just a Cameo?

Let's all visit the Amazon Planet ;D

Lol, theres a real Stargate?! That would be neat. But anyways, I am a fan of that show. I don't think Jack is in the new season (i haven't seen the episodes) and thats a big downer. I'm probably done with the series.

oyaguy said:

Interesting. Is that why the carry German (MP5 family) Canadian (C8 SFW's) and Belgian weapons (FN P90), wear gear from Lower Mainland surplus stores, and film in Vancouver?
I've heard of real military personnel appearing in the show - but mostly local Militia types as extras. 
Anyways - the new season is great  ;D And yes, Jack is gone.

Enfield said:
And yes, Jack is gone.

No, he's just at the Pentagon.  He still drops by for Cake.

Are there really 14 episodes to Over There?  Guess there's more to look forward to on the History Channel.
(which just happens to be beside my Space Channel ;D)

Hey everybody

Probably been discussed already, but does anyone watch the TV show "Over There"?  I heard it was dropped by FX networks because of poor ratings.  I find this hard to believe.  Seems to me that most US citizens would love to see their troops on TV.  I thought the show was pretty wicked too. 

Here's my conspiracy theory on the death of this show.

FX Networks most likely picks up some nice grants from the govt.  I figure the govt. didn't like people at home seeing the frustrations that our troops face in the east so they probably threatened to pull some funding.  "Bad ratings"?  My balls bad ratings.  Who in sweet hell watches nip and tuck or buffy?  They're still on the air.  WTF?

I think that HBO or something should pick up Over There for a second season or at a minimum release a second season on DVD with the same cast.

Just my 2 red cents
Thanks

I bought the first season on DVD back in November.  Its not a bad series at all. If it was dropped for poor ratings i wouldnt be surprised.  The war in Iraq not being all that popular........

And yes its been discussed alot here before

I also bought the first and only season on DVD. Enjoyed the watch, and I can also see it dropping due to poor ratings.

I dl'd the entire thing....

But like Space: Above and Beyond... 

Another series that died that we liked.

Then again.. how many times was the Family Guy Cancelled  ;D

It's funny, because out of television series that were cancelled after one season, the only real 'success' stories of them coming back, would be Family guy, which was restarted, and Firefly, which led to the movie Serenity...

Other than that, you like a show that was cancelled after one season, you're SOL.

Fox and MTV are notorious for cancelling after one season.

hello,
Does anybody know the name to the indian song in played in episode 10(Spoils of war). It was played in the huge house before they were attacked and found the money.
Thanks

Back