• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pace Sticks and Drill Canes

I was always under the impression that Amd corps used drill canes, and Inf etc used pace sticks.

BTW Franko, were still giving 8CH cadet RSM‘s Black thornes, something Peter started. CSM at our corps use the black drill cane with the bullet-thingy at the end. Can you fill me in on that one? I know its a Reg Force thing, but is it Amd only? And what caliber is it?

20mm aircraft ammo. No every drill cane(for the most part) in the CF has it. Mind you ours are ALWAYS painted black :D

Regards

But of course...thats a good song, too (paint it black).

Tonight I got the corps' pace stick for a socials project.  On the way from cadets I was admiring it, and really began wanting to know how to do pace stick drill.  So I tried to look for it on the internet and failed.  So I was wouwondering any of you could direct me in the right direction.

Also, I'd like to just give a shout out to the 29 cadets that recently went on the New Brunswick exchange in Feb 24-28.  You guys were effing awesome, I feel like 250 Rocky Mountain Rangers has become a part of me.  As I hope 903 British Columbian Dragoons has become a part of you.

And just one last thing.  I'm starting pipes in my highland/mill band.  So I was wondering if anyone could give me a website with some good music (Black Bear, Scottland the Brave, Amazing Grace, Wings) and other stuff like that.  Or just find the music itself and e-mail it to me would great also.  I also play snare so if you guys could find it in drum music too that'd be great.  Thanks alot.

Pace stick drill can be found in the CFP 201 (Canadian Forces Manual of Drill and Ceremonial), I don't have my CD copy handy anymore ... but I'm sure someone else around here might.

As for the music ... ask your Band O (if you don't have a Band O then possible Trg O) to contact the RCMA (Regional Cadet Music Advisor), they might be able to acquire you the music you want.

Awesome!  Thanks alot.  Would my training officer have the Drill Manual?  And yeah I never thought to talk to our band officer.  Lol.

When you first start practicing, you will find that the "shoes" of the stick will slide on indoor concrete and wooden floors much more than on asphalt.  Remember the plugs to the old "rubbewr lady" air matresses? Cut the handle part of the plug off, and use it as an "overshoe" for a foot of the pace stick.  You need two plugs to do both feet.  It will stop the stick from skidding around as much.

Brings back memories - not all of them good.

Tom

Lol awesome!  Thanks for the great tip...only it's not my pacestick, it's the corp's.  But I am gonna get a pace stick when I go to Vernon so that'll be a usefull tip.  And I think I know what you're talking about for plugs.  You can buy those in camping stores right?  Anywho thanks alot.

Wow...it's been years since I've held and used that pace stick. We must be going back about ten years ago when it was presented to me. I was the corps Regimental Sergeant Major at that time and I was also in charge of the drill team for a couple of years before that. Came in handy. If you want some imput on your project, I guess I'd be a good person to ask. I'd be happy to help. 8)

madchicken said:
And yeah I never thought to talk to our band officer.  

I am your band officer. Yes, I have your music

madchicken said:
Would my training officer have the Drill Manual?

I have that one too.  ;)

Heh lol.  ma'am it's so funny how you have like everything I have ever needed.  Lol...yes yes.  Anywho...hmmm...would you be able to bring music with you on tuesday?  OH!  I think we (Me, Jones, and White) should meet with you on monday and begin to think how things will be planned out.  Unless thats to soon.  I dunno.  I guess I should've PMed this eh?  Oh well

Jibbles said:
Wow...it's been years since I've held and used that pace stick. We must be going back about ten years ago when it was presented to me. I was the corps Regimental Sergeant Major at that time and I was also in charge of the drill team for a couple of years before that. Came in handy. If you want some imput on your project, I guess I'd be a good person to ask. I'd be happy to help. 8)

Wow this is so cool!!  So like....10 years then would be about 1995?  Heh was Routledge and Beager in the corps at the time?  Now it's 2lt. Routledge and OC Beager

Does anyone know of a good place to buy pace sticks?

Not the league one.

JB
Capt

The League stopped making them. They are very hard to find, I ended up getting my Corps' at another Corps.

you can always get one custom made. that would be the best bet. go and try and find a carpenter that would want the job.

You could also go to your affilieated unit's kit shop? I know mine's sells them.
Regards,

Back