• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Packing a Ruck

MediPea said:
There's a difference between stretching your stride and moving fast though. I can keep up no problem when I shuffle or walk ridiculosuly fast, however when doing that you tire yourself out pretty quickly on a ruckmarch. Stretching your stride is so you can still walk at that slower pace and not tire yourself out as quickly. (or else you might as well run the whole thing)

I'm a fast walker in general as well and often get told to slow down by friends. However, it really hasn't helped in the ruck marching department.
The key is to find your happy medium.
We had a sigs Sgt way back that was not much more than 5' 3" yet he could move with the best - his stride was obviously shorter but his pace was wicked.
And the only way to do that is with practise.

Celticgirl said:
I'm so glad you said that. You don't know how many people have advised me to put some weight in a backpack and do practice marches before BMOQ. (None of these advisors are soldiers, it should be pointed out.) My feeling is that I don't want to do *anything* that will cause any strain or injury to my body prior to going to St. Jean. No thanks! My backpack is NOT a rucksack! I'll continue to work out in other ways and let the staff at CFLRS build me up, as you say, to the 13k BFT...with the proper equipment.
Probably the best thing you can do besides cardio is to really work your quadriceps and hamstrings. They are the key muscles to propelling you up hills and they are the first muscles on people that give out when they're out of shape. Do lots of walking lunges, squats, phantom chair exercises and leg weights (of course being careful to not over do it). Combined with some good running and incline you should have no problem with ruck sack marches.
Also, another key thing is always always always be really well hydrated (start drinking water days before). It doesn't matter what kind of shape you're in-- if you're dehydrated you will get cramps, you'll feel weak and you'll get winded pretty fast.

I have been working out a fair bit, and after reading this I decided to up the cardio and easy off the weights. Everything is going good so hopefully I will be ready for my BMQ this summer. Thanks for the tips, I guess an admin can close this thread now. Thanks again.

Being hydrated is vitally important ANY TIME you do ANY exercise.  I always carry a small container of water out of necessity when doing anything - I'm a husky guy so I sweat more than others.  In carrying 30-40lbs on you in the sweltering heat, it is no different.  Some people I know bring Orange Juice during ruckmarches because it has sugars that help get them going midway through. 

On Basic Training/SQ, you are ordered to have water on you all the time because you're marching everywhere, standing still in the blazing sun, often doing pushups when said to.  I have heard of people collapsing because they were malnourished or lacked the necessary hydration, and you can not only really hurt yourself, but you will be on charge and defaulters too (bad thing).

What song usually pops into your head when you're on a long ruck march?

For me, it's either the Red Wings theme from Final Fantasy 4 or the Troops March On from Final Fantasy 6. Yes I know that sounds geeky as heck, but have a listen and they have a certain feel to them that's great for a march. The orchestrated version of the Red Wings theme seems to almost start off with a "Left-Right-Left" cadence to its snare drums.

Here's some links to the songs:

Red Wings Theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iriyIrK9e14

Red Wings Theme (Orchestrated)-more dramatic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDgEaq9qAyc

Troops March On:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxpb6jOhUrA

On basic, my WO used to sing Barbie Girl to the whole platoon. Then some song about "...enlisted newfoundlanders, come follow me", then he would start singing Great Big Sea...

My mind was gone after 10 k.

I learned not to sing the second one when I was about 5 years old.  The lesson learnt that day wont disappear any time soon.

Sing?  Lenny Welch "Bring it on home to me"
mp3 for Iron Man, the absolute, hands down best tune to Ruck Run to..... Ozzy Osbourne - I don't Wanna Stop!!  Try it, you'll like it ;)

Singing? I thought you were supposed to keep your mouth shut, eyes peeled, and C7 in the shoulder on rock and roll?  :evilrifle:

klink1983 said:
The dinosaurs in the Regieme I work under do not allow music. :(

The "dinosaurs" in your Regime can probably spell, though.  ::)

mp3's???  WTH???

They're marching with iPods now?  ??? ??? ???

I just use the same music on my Shuffle that I do for going to the Gym... High energy motivational stuff...

RDJP said:
mp3's???  WTH???

They're marching with iPods now?  ??? ??? ???

BFT's get pretty boring otherwise....  Sure it can be done without... But a little music does make it a bit better....

Tommy said:
BFT's get pretty boring otherwise.... 
As the Army becomes increasingly constrained by cubicles and computers, you'd be amazed at the connections you make, and what you can learn, whether you're rucking beside Pte Bloggins or Col Flagg.

ps: My grandmother once told me that "boredom is the sign of a weak mind."  Fitness is part of the job -- it's up to you whether you're bored or not.  :nod:

Back