• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Packing for Basic [MERGED]

Eye In The Sky said:
To the best I can recall (I haven't worked at CFLRS since 07), there is no 'special' storage for people to bring stuff 'after BMQ'; what you bring will be stored in the courses civie lock-up area.  Expect the 'same rules for all' environment.

IF you bring your extra stuff, it will be locked up with your 'BMQ required' stuff. Whatever you bring to the Mega, expect to be responsible to move it up however many flights of stairs are between the Green Doors and your courses living area.  That could be as little as 3 flights or right to the top; you won't know until you get there.

One idea is to leave your follow-on, post BMQ stuff with a friend or family member who can then ship it to you once you finish BMQ and head off to CFSCE in Kingston for POET and QL3.

As for the rice-cooker question and similar items for cooking, most bases have rules for single members living in quarters that restrict the use of cooking devices, candles, etc.  For fire prevention, hygiene, etc reasons.

Expect to pay for rations and SQ charges during your training until you are posted and then decide to live on the economy (ie not on the base in single quarters). 

Hope this helps clarify things for you.  Any further details, you should ask your file manager/CFRC about.

Thanks a lot for the info, that was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. In other words, even though there is storage at BMQ, it is not practical to bring all my bags with me and ideally I will need to find an alternative way to store my stuff before BMQ. I got further clarification in a private message from someone confirming this.

When you get there you are brought in a room to then lay out all of your civi gear on the floor so your instructor can go through it. You then go to a classroom where everyone in your platoon is and you all get a 30-40 minute briefing. You then carry all of your civi gear up to your floor(no elevator, only stairs) where it is then put under your bed until you are given kit(uniform, etc. Day 2 or 3). Then you carry all of your kit into your floor and once everyone's kit is at the floor you then all put your civi gear in the closet which you can not access until weekend 5.

I am visiting friends and family in Winnipeg for a few days before BMQ, so I will consider leaving some of my stuff with them and asking them to ship it to me later. I think the only civie gear I will bring will be my laptop, kindle and perhaps a deck of cards. In the end, it looks like I really will have to discuss this with my file manager though. Thanks for all the info.

Eye In The Sky has taken the time to repeat what has already been posted several times in these forums, often by him, on this.  If you really can not or could not understand this from READING what has been posted, then you are going to have a very hard time at CFLS. 

George Wallace said:
Eye In The Sky has taken the time to repeat what has already been posted several times in these forums, often by him, on this.  If you really can not or could not understand this from READING what has been posted, then you are going to have a very hard time at CFLS.

While I appreciate his comments and those of the people before him, the crux of my question still has not been answered, "where should someone with no home in Canada keep all their non-BMQ stuff yet still have access to it. (for example OUTCAN applicants like myself or single people who are leaving their apartments/homes)". It is possible the answer lays buried somewhere here on these forums, but I have yet to find it.

I have only verified what I already suspected based on the many posts I read before asking my question, the storage at BMQ for civie gear is not appropriate for large volumes of non-BMQ related personal goods. I was hoping that OUTCAN and others with no home outside the CAF had access to separate storage which can be easily/reasonably accessible between BMQ graduation and being taken off restricted moving. 

The vast majority of people on BMQ will bring only the stuff on the joining instructions plus a few extra items for use during the weekends after their indoctrination period (which is what I suspect the civie lockup is meant for). Most of their personal stuff will be left behind at their homes in Canada with some occasional items retrieved / sent to them during PAT and training  by their significant others and/or parents as needed. After those people are given a posting (and taken off restricted move status), the CAF pays to have the rest of their stuff moved to their new home in the CAF.

But what about people like me who has no home in Canada? My first Canadian home in 10 years will be on a CAF base. I will bring my max capacity of luggage with me from Japan to Canada. That is 2 max size suitcases and two max sized carry-ons which amount to about 60-70kg of stuff. Those suitcases will contain pretty much everything I own minus the goods I left back in Japan with my wife and kids. I certainly don't want to bring all of that to BMQ so I was hoping the CAF may have somewhere I can keep it and have access to it until I am off restricted move status.

Writing this, I realize that single people in Canada who are starting a career with the CAF may be in a similar predicament. What do they do with all their stuff after they leave their apartment but before they go to BMQ? I will try searching the forums for people who may have been in that situation as the solutions to their storage problems may be applicable to OUTCAN applicants as well.

My tentative plan is to take a small trip to Winnipeg before BMQ and leave the majority of my luggage there with a friend. I'll pack only what I need for BMQ (plus my laptop, kindle and perhaps a deck of cards which I suspect will all end up in civie lock-up). This is not an optimal plan since I can't access those items easily, not even by shipment, since I would have to get my friend to go digging through my stuff on my behalf and then send them to me and charge me what it cost him for shipping. Normally I would get my wife to do that kind of thing for me, but she will be in Japan until I am done the majority/all of my initial training.

Short answer;  I am not sure but you may be able to put those 'not coming to BMQ with me' items in storage at public expense, BUT I am not sure...which is why I said talk to your file manager/CFRC.  They will know such things or be able to get answers.

Eye In The Sky said:
Short answer;  I am not sure but you may be able to put those 'not coming to BMQ with me' items in storage at public expense, BUT I am not sure...which is why I said talk to your file manager/CFRC.  They will know such things or be able to get answers.

Thanks Eye In The Sky, I will talk to my file manager as soon as I get one again (I don't have one at the moment while my file is being transferred). I'll post here with the answer I am given for future people who may have run into a similar predicament to read about.

Vell said:
where should someone with no home in Canada keep all their non-BMQ stuff yet still have access to it. (for example OUTCAN applicants like myself or single people who are leaving their apartments/homes)

I am going to have the same issue. Not as an OUTCAN applicant, but as a civilian living in base accommodations right now (long story). I will be required to clear out when I head to basic so I won't have a 'home base' and I don't have anyone I can leave my stuff with. Your options are pretty limited. You buy a storage unit or you find someone who will hold onto your stuff for you.

To be honest, it doesn't sound like you will need your stuff for awhile because you'll be in training and living with rations and quarters. If you're that attached to your things I would recommend getting a storage unit close to St Jean so you can access it on your weekends off and before you head out for your next bout of training, but I think you will have to move your things with you each time if that's the case. I am under the impression that you're not entitled to the moving benefits (financial reimbursement) provided by the military until you get your first posting, then they will move your things for you.

EDIT:

Looks like I might've been wrong here, see this post:
DAA said:
I'm not entirely certain about coverage of lease breaking penalties but YES the CF will pay to have your personal effects stored.  In fact, they even send a Moving Company over to do all the work for you!  Also, once you are occupation qualified and posted for first time employment, the CF will also ship your personal effects from storage directly to your new location.

The CF does have a benefit called "Leave Transportation Assistance" and is normally only payable to "single" members.  Reimbursement is based on round trip milieage (from where you are serving) back to the location of your parents or place of enrolment, minus 700 km and then multiplied by the applicable kilometric rate.  It is only claimable "once" per fiscal/leave year.

I'm going to my BMQ in a few weeks and my recruiter told me that the CAF are covering 2 months of  my lease breaking penalties since im in an appartment at the moment  and if i have to  they will move and store all my stuff until im posted for the first time.  You just cant arrange the moving date until you're sworn in. So maybe its an option for you jusst ask your recruiter.

to recall my experience in scouts . "don't be the a**hole that turns a half-hour hike into an hour & a half of dragging a full hockey bag of clothes for a week long trip."

You should have a booklet of you received a job offer of what is required . theres a small list [emoji14]

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Mahir0901 said:
What should you pack for basic training?

Joining Instructions - Basic Military Qualification and Basic Military Officer Qualification
Kit List
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/recruit-school-joining-instructions.page#annex-b

Mahir0901 said:
What items are allowed and not allowed?

Prohibited Articles
The following articles are prohibited :
a.firearms or edged weapons (i.e. knives);
b.food and drinks (in the barracks), including caffeine supplements and pills;
c.materials with sexual connotation (magazines, photos, DVD, accessories, etc.); and
d.any game consoles.

Restricted Materials
All electronic devices (cellular phones, MP3 players, tablets, laptops, etc.) are considered restricted materials in the following manner:
a.no devices can be used/carried during training hours;
b.cell phone use is restricted after training hours to no more than one half-hour use per night. Note that this privilege can be revoked based on performance; and
Personal vehicle: access will be restricted to weekend use when leave has been granted.
Note that you are responsible for any damage to your electronic devices if you choose to bring them.

See also,

Kit List for basic training - MUST READ 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/13460.500
21 pages.

Electronics during BMQ
https://army.ca/forums/threads/103685.450
22 pages.

What to bring, and not to bring, to BMQ,
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+bring+bmq&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=u1otWaniMKSC8QfKn7nQBg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+bring+bmq&start=0&spf=1496145290500

etc...

Mahir0901 said:
What should you pack for basic training? What items are allowed and not allowed?

You could not find the answer in the twenty-four pages of this thread...?

Edited:

I've just been informed that your thread was merged with this one after you posted.

As you've now seen, there is much information here on this Most Fine Site already. One just needs to look for it.

Yes, everyone is encouraged to post their questions.

Please remember, you are expected search and read through
the thread(s) to find your answers, because often someone has already asked.

Mahir0901 said:
I know to look now, but it's also here for me to ask questions, am i right?

Yes, but...

We try to keep the repetition to a minimum, as it just clutters up the Site and makes it harder for people to search through. A lot of the multi-page threads contain much repetition, plus the usual banter, besides useful information. We don't have the time to distill it all into more convenient forms, so the best that we can do is to encourage people to research before asking questions. They learn more that way, too, as they stumble across other useful bits of information.

Infant_Tree said:
I'm bringing pretty much all of my belongings just in case I need any of them.

I would strongly recommend against doing that. Stick to the list. Not only will you purchase things while you're there (guaranteed), the more stuff you bring the more you have to carry up the (possibly) 10+ flights of stairs, plus other people's. Pack. Lightly.

BeyondTheNow said:
I would strongly recommend against doing that. Stick to the list. Not only will you purchase things while you're there (guaranteed), the more stuff you bring the more you have to carry up the (possibly) 10+ flights of stairs, plus other people's. Pack. Lightly.

For items that are not being immediately used (such as laptop and phone), aren't they stored in long-term storage? Will I be carrying the rest of my items (such as clothes) with me in a giant backpack the entire day while at BMQ or can I keep them at the barracks?

Infant_Tree said:
For items that are not being immediately used (such as laptop and phone), aren't they stored in long-term storage? Will I be carrying the rest of my items (such as clothes) with me in a giant backpack the entire day while at BMQ or can I keep them at the barracks?

If you end up in green sector, there are small storage areas near the end of the sets of cubicles on each floor. But they're very small. They're often crammed and a pain to rummage through. If you're in blue sector, generally staff will select a vacant room somewhere near your pod to stash personal belongings. But that's not the point. You will. not. need. a bunch of civvie stuff. Don't bring extra civvie stuff. Bring one or two extra sets of clothing AT MOST. For the first 5 weeks you don't even get to wear it. (Well, after you get your uniform anyway.) After that, assuming your pl doesn't screw up too often, you'll go out on weekends (but keep in mind that you WILL have at least one weekend taken away, so scratch that off your list of times you'll need civvie stuff in addition to indoc), you'll go drinking or whatever, you'll buy clothing at Canex or in Brossard or Montreal or something (trust me, you will).

Your electronics will mostly be locked up in various locations or confiscated all together depending on Staff. I'm not really referring to those.

You will not need much during your stay that you will not be able to get from the CANEX.  A few sets of clothing to wear until you are issued a uniform (and the rare times you will have "free time"), A good pair of running shoes (mandatory), and a the hygiene items noted on your list is pretty much it.

Personally, I brought a computer and cellphone - and used them maybe half a dozen times between them for the duration of the training.  Was nice to have, but had little access to them nor real need to do so - If you are making good use of your time you won't be spending much time with them.

I'd recommend, like BeyondTheNow, to minimize the items you bring - they are just going to be locked up for the duration of the course anyway.

Good luck.

Back