• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Packing for Basic [MERGED]

@BeyondTheNow & @Ayrsayle

Hmm well my initial thought was that it was better to take everything to be on the safe side but I guess you guys are right, it would be better to take only what's necessary. I had received a Joining Instructions PDF from a recruiter a couple of days ago which contained an itinerary of what to bring (items not being bought at CANEX). Would it be a good idea to bring just those items (plus phone and wallet) and nothing else? Can I still bring my laptop with me even if I don't get to use it much?

By the way, I appreciate the help I have received on this site over the past 2 weeks.

Thanks,

Infant_Tree

Infant_Tree said:
Can I still bring my laptop with me even if I don't get to use it much?

BMQ / BMOQ - Personal Electronics during course [MERGED]
https://army.ca/forums/threads/103685.425
23 pages.

•Phones can be used on weeknights after training has concluded but no earlier than 6:00 pm. Reasonable usage should be restricted to communications with family and friends; other devices such as MP3s, iPods, iPads, laptops, etc., may be authorized during the weekends in garrison if there is no training scheduled and if performance has been judged adequate by the instructors.
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/recruit-school-basic-training.page

Thank you very much, this was helpful. I look forward to starting my new journey in the Canadian Armed Forces.

Going to BMQ reserve this summer. Already got kit issued and likewise given the kit list of what's required to bring to BMQ. Some kit not mentioned on the kit list, not on the prohibited items mentioned already in this thread and it will come in handy (eg. bore snake, surgical gloves, pipe cleaners...), reckon I will be allowed to bring it and use it at BMQ?

Your summer PRes BMQ is not hosted at CFLRS St Jean. Bear in mind, most of the comments in this thread are from people attending the RegF BMQ.

Your kit list has been modified to meet your training establishment. Bringing too many extra items on any course is a distraction and often gets in your way.
Bring what is on your list and if you have a couple small items that fits in one pocket, sure bring it. There should be no harm.  If your staff does not want you to have it, it will be locked up or your will be directed to dispose of it.

So i'm going over the list of things to bring to basic and it says "2 athletic t-shirts" which i reckon is for physical training. My question is: can it be any t-shirt or does it have to be blank? Will i piss the people off if i bring my favorite slayer or metallica (circa and just for all and below) shirt with me?

Thanks

FlyLikeAnEagle said:
So i'm going over the list of things to bring to basic and it says "2 athletic t-shirts" which i reckon is for physical training. My question is: can it be any t-shirt or does it have to be blank? Will i piss the people off if i bring my favorite slayer or metallica (circa and just for all and below) shirt with me?

Thanks

Proper capitalization in all future posts please. 

As long as any civvie clothing you bring isn't offensive (foul language, culturally insensitive images or sayings, inappropriate humour etc.) you'll be fine. However, that being said, the majority of recruit clothing at CFLRS worn during the business day (so not being worn on the weekend and/or in the mess) was simple in nature. (i.e. solid colours, simple/discreet pattern or image, basic dryfit Ts for PT, etc.)

FlyLikeAnEagle said:

Thanks

Much like what BeyondtheNow already noted, it is likely in your best interest not to bring along stuff that draws attention.  Remember, you're going on a Basic course to (in some ways) learn how to turn off the "I'm an individualist!" to "I'm part of a team, working toward bigger goals".  At a minimum, I'd expect you to get lightly teased for thinking a Metallica shirt was appropriate fitness wear. Same thing would happen wearing neon shorts, etc.

If you want to stand out - let it be for something substantial in (positive) actions during your course rather then in your clothing.

Good luck!

Guess i'll get a tattoo of the slayer war eagle before (or after) BMQ. T-shirts fade after awhile anyway...tats are forver. So is Slayer.

I got everything they want but the eyeglasses prescription. My optometrist is on vacation and the CF MTL division isn't helping by not answering me. So I'll ask y'all:
Do you think the CFLRS will give me crap for not having the prescription? I gave the office a copy of the prescription but i can't reach them.

Thanks
OS FLAE

Email info.montreal@forces.gc.ca
If it's on the list of things you need to take to CFLRS with you, then yes you need it.

Buck_HRA said:
Email info.montreal@forces.gc.ca
If it's on the list of things you need to take to CFLRS with you, then yes you need it.

Thanks for that but this is not looking good. These fuckers aren't answering. FUCK.

FlyLikeAnEagle said:
I got everything they want but the eyeglasses prescription. My optometrist is on vacation and the CF MTL division isn't helping by not answering me. So I'll ask y'all:
Do you think the CFLRS will give me crap for not having the prescription? I gave the office a copy of the prescription but i can't reach them.

Thanks
OS FLAE

There were a couple of recruits on both of my pl's who didn't have their prescriptions. (For whatever reason.) During week 1 or 2 staff takes recruits to the optometrist who require it. It's advised that you have your prescription though. It makes things much easier for the recruit and staff. Will they give your a hard time if you don't have it? Highly likely...as with everything though, reactions from staff towards recruits about various issues varies.

If an item on the BMQ list isn't marked as optional or suggested, then it's required.

BeyondTheNow said:
There were a couple of recruits on both of my pl's who didn't have their prescriptions. (For whatever reason.) During week 1 or 2 staff takes recruits to the optometrist who require it. It's advised that you have your prescription though. It makes things much easier for the recruit and staff. Will they give your a hard time if you don't have it? Highly likely.

If an item on the BMQ list isn't marked as optional or suggested, then it's required.

I didn't think it'd be a effin problem with the secretary photocopying the prescription. And seeing how I'm in a small town we don't have any 24 hour optometrist.

They're for driving and seeing long distances. But i am getting the lasik eye surgery during the winter holiday so i won't have to deal with "crap" like this in the future.

Thanks
OS FLAE

FlyLikeAnEagle said:
I didn't think it'd be a effin problem with the secretary photocopying the prescription. And seeing how I'm in a small town we don't have any 24 hour optometrist.

They're for driving and seeing long distances. But i am getting the lasik eye surgery during the winter holiday so i won't have to deal with "crap" like this in the future.

Thanks
OS FLAE

Not quite sure how to interpret your tone there...frustration towards the answer I provided or frustration with the optometrists' office or both...
In any event, you asked, I answered. Staff might not make a big deal, but it saves the optometrist there some work.

FYI ref your lasik. I haven't read your previous posts, so don't know when you're heading to BMQ. But you absolutely have to inform your CoC when the time comes/wherever you are that you're getting the procedure done. There's actually a medical policy on it and it says you "have a duty to consult" your CoC. Being that you'd be in the training phase of your career, that can affect things in certain instances and you could risk getting removed from a course. Anyway, there are proper channels that have to be followed and there's also the possibility of being put on a category afterwards. Just a heads up...

FlyLikeAnEagle said:
Thanks for that but this is not looking good. These fuckers aren't answering. FUCK.

A few points.

1.  Using your name and rank on here, up to you but you're announcing who you are.  It will be in your post history forever.

2.  In the military, if you are told to bring something, bring it.  Why the fuck would CFLRS say bring XYZ if they didn't need it for some reason?  Get used to doing what you are told, when you are told, how you are told. Questioning simple stuff is a good way to get you attention from your instructors (not good attention...) and possibly making your name stick in their head right off the get go. 

3.  The CFRC isn't responsible for this.  You are.  Another big part of military service is owning whats yours if something goes off the rail.  Take this as a lesson to prepare better, earlier, whatever.  That will assist you in the military as well.

4.  The underlined part in #2 is the simplest version of *how to succeed at BMQ/military life*. 

FlyLikeAnEagle said:

And note; THAT is not an example of swearing on the site that's considered tolerable. This is your only warning.

Eye In The Sky said:
A few points.

1.  Using your name and rank on here, up to you but you're announcing who you are.  It will be in your post history forever.

I don't think he was using his name, but rather, FlyLikeAnEagle.  But still, a less than ideal first impression re attitude.

FlyLikeAnEagle said:

I'd not be too terribly surprised if one or more of those "fuckers" is a member of this Site...

Back